Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Equality

Started by DedeSiregar [2430598] on in Politics & Law.

37 replies · 367 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 38 / 38 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
38
Discussion span
→
Authority score
10 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

DedeSiregar [2430598]
I read on eonline that johnny depp and amber heard defamation suit has ended n depp won the court.
Is this the new era where men and women have EQUAL rights?
I saw first hand domestic abuse against men when I was in central java. The owner of noodle shop I liked to visit was being abused by his wife. Not only he was abused economically and verbally but also physically. Nothing he could do about it. If he fought her, she could go the police and told ppl he was abusing her. So he just let her slide until he couldn't take it anymore and left her for good. Yet she still terrorized him, at least until I left the city.

I remember I told my bf at the time if I ever did such thing to him, please lock me in jail. But we all knew it was almost impossible. However I still think it was stupidly unfair! No man nor woman has rights to torture their spouses verbally, mentally, financially and physically. Don't get me wrong. I know very well that many women deal with domestic abuse from their husbands too but it does not justify the domestic abuses of men that got ignored for many years.

So with this new progress of Depp n Heard case, I gotta say glad that time has changed. N let us respect our spouses rights.
Fistyboy [1733255]
I don't know if I would call it equality, there's still a pay gap, and employment gap, and social standards gap, oh and don't forget the whole bodily autonomy thing. But yeah Johnny Depp won #Progress
Faether [2732904]
Men rarely have less rights than women and even then is only caused by intersectionality (and is disproportionate to how often women have less rights than men)... There are certain distinct issues men face sure, but let's not blow it out of proportion here;

If you want actual equality for men, then I think the rights of black men, gay men, trans men, etc. would be better to focus on~

This wasn't really a victory in much capacity more than "justice prevailed..." for a famous, rich, guy like who could have seen that coming? For the record, I did not watch the trial, because it's not as impactful as people seem to think, in my belief anyway~
DedeSiregar [2430598]
No, in terms domestic abuse, men basically had no right at all. It even becomes a joke for every comedians n movies that their wives can throw tantrum at them for a simple question like "do I look fat". Sounds like familiar joke? Now reverse it if a man yell at his wife for saying "that tie makes you look fat", will the joke still be funny? No, the world will condemn that man for being abusive. You know respect and honor work both ways right?

Why are you classiffying men like that as if they are different creatures that come with different rights between one to the others? Will I accept when men classify me as "oh rights for asian women is this much, lesbian women is that much etc". Hell no. In terms of security and protection, gender, sex orientation, social class, n race should not matter. This case ofc gets published widely because they are movie stars. But cases like this is more common than you think. Movie n stand up comedy is reflection the real life tradition n values. It show how common n acceotable this is eventho it is never ok. However when you reverse any act where men slap women for talking to other men, not allowing his wife to order any food she wants, throwing things at her for having girls night out, it's usual n common to call that behaviour domestic abuse.

How hypocrite of us, speaking up for human rights but look to other way when same thing happen to men? Do they not have equal rights than women in this matter?
mrnoob2 [2770824]
There are legitimate areas where men are systemically disadvantaged against women, which is bad and we should strive for a society where all genders are treated equally. Johnny Depp winning his case isn't going to change any of this though.
Sannemander [2088627]
They were just two crazy people having an abusive relationship, probably the best thing that happened to them is that they broke up. It won't change anything.
Bhappychap [2270497]
There are legitimate areas where men are systemically disadvantaged against women


Like what? couldn't think of any off the top of my head, but my experiences are very much blended with rural upbringing and military, which is pretty biased in both regards.
mrnoob2 [2770824]
Domestic disputes, we're culturally biased to always see the man in a heterosexual relationship as the aggressor. This filters down into things like policing policy. Also custody battles. That's all I can think of institutionally but there's just a ton of unreasonable social and cultural expectations on men. Patriarchy hurts everyone!
Ripley [2180244]
I don't think it's that simple. Society is more proactive about calling it domestic abuse when it's men abusing women, but it doesn't seem terribly proactive about actually doing something about it in any case.
Kuchisake-onna [2769295]
This reads a tiny bit like satire, but I'll actually agree.

There definitely is a toxic attitude society have where abuse by women is handwaved, out of the stereotype that they’re the weaker sex. Along with that, the concept of emotional abuse against men and women, is also not talked about enough.

If feel like these biases are generally changing. And, while some solely-fem-focused factions of feminism, still work from a misandrist anti-man angle, most modern-day progressives do seek to defend victimized men equally.

There is a cultural shift, making it ok for men to speak of abuse, physical, emotional, and sexual.

Still be careful how you speak about the Depp/Heard case. I found myself defending Depp earlier in the defamation suit, but I’ve come to realize that neither of these people are saints.

The take-away: believe women, believe men, (and Enbies, Queers, etc). Don’t dismiss cries for help from anyone.
Interferon [2707359]
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment. It is entrenched in jurisprudence that all persons should be afforded equal rights, no matter their sex, age, or economic standing. Sadly, it is also true that sex and gender play a role in the presumption of guilt and/or innocence in certain cases.

Take for example in the Philippines. It was only recently that the "Maria Clara" doctrine was abandoned by the Ph jurisprudence. For context, the said doctrine is a presumption that Filipino women would not speak and admit to the abuse unless it actually happened. As such, when Filipino women would file a complaint about **** or domestic abuse cases, there is a presumption that the allegations are true prior to court proceedings. In these cases, the respondent of the case is already presumed guilty even without the benefit of the doubt.

While it may be that JD started a movement wherein the abuser can be a female, it would take a lot for the courts to evenly recognize that fact.