Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Cheating

Started by TayvisSwelce [2563568] on in Poker.

7 replies · 444 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
8
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
12
Authority score
50 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100
TayvisSwelce [2563568]
Perhaps I am bad at reading rules and FAQS but it's a little unclear as far as poker in Torn goes. To wit:

We're playing a crime game. So maybe cheating and collusion is OK in torn poker? That would definitely be the easy way out for developers. Probably would cause a lot of hurt feelings as well as crossing some sort of grey area line as far as exploiting bugs or doing whatever the hell those factions were doing to manipulate stonks once upon a time.

RL poker sites and their software go to great lengths to prevent this sort of thing. Ultimatebet scandal as the worst scandal (see threads onf super user status). Phone and text chats with just a few participants is enough in the long run to give an edge from someone who would lose 2 BB/100 hands to someone who would win 5 BB/100 hands. Three players colluding in a 9 person game gives a huge edge to those three even if they otherwise suck at the game. This stuff is hard to detect but we know that Torn is similar to the poker sites in that there is software being used to detect bots/cheating/improper behavior.


Is there sophisticated software being used to prevent TC cheating? From the horse's mouth: "we're not poker experts, nobody on our team is. We know how it works of course, but all of the nuances, details, perfections - these are lost on us, and there's not really anything we can do about that. Finding poker experts who are also front-end developers, back-end developers, or indeed fully qualified managers... just isn't going to happen"

This leads me to believe there there isn't the background in knowledge or in coding to prevent cheating. Hell, even the pokerstars and fulltilt people have trouble with this and i imagine they have a couple extra 0's in their budget.

So.... what is the case? i repeat myself: Is poker cheating "OK" in torn city? If not, how can developers develop these sophisticated systems if finding poker experts "just isn't going to happen?"



If we equate $25m in torn money to $5, the $12.5m/25m table is equivalent to a buyin of $250-$1000, or, a standard $2/$5 no limit high stakes online game.

I tried to use forum search to see if this stuff was covered but my skills at antiquated search engines are terrible My apologies if this has already been covered. Please chat/DM me if such is the case and I will delete.
Proxima [1879587] Wiki Editor
There are no rules regarding collusion in Torn. Its really as you mention quite early on in your post, realistically methods of detecting cheating and collusion in poker are quite sophisticated and even nowadays are absolutely not fool-proof (see: latest RTA scandals in 2+2 every other month).

When real sites with full dedication to poker are not able to combat it effectively most of the time, it's just not realistic or fair to expect a game like Torn to even attempt to implement measures against it, given poker is not the primary (or even secondary, tertiary..) facet of the game. And if you can't implement countermeasures, you really don't have any hope of regulating/enforcing the issue.
Prophet_Jonas [1995840]
Like honestly tho.... 95% of the people who play wouldn't be able to take advantage of collusion effectively enough to make it worthwhile in the end...

Good play and better luck will still be the deciding factor in most cases...

Maybe I'm being naive and Ill get taken for billions due to collusion but I'm not sure it really is as big of an issue as it is made out to be...
Steve_ [292383]
I agree @Proph. If they're bad enough at poker to need to collude, they are probably not helping each other much anyway!

Plus I can imagine colluding can sometimes get you caught in some really bad spots as well.
zumdahl322 [2080088]
People share cards with each other , fact. I've seen them posting in the wrong chat (global).

Hard to avoid, but sometimes you can pick up on consistent squeeze plays and avoid those people. You can also check factions of people. If they in same faction, you can make inferences based on your level of comfort. Though I've seen it both ways where faction mates do play legit against each other.

It's not much different than friends at a real life poker table. They don't have to share cards, but they just don't play against each other either and that's already an "edge".

BLOT: it's just pixel cash.
Gangster [1369172]
I can remember that I had a discussion with a staff member after I reported 3 players playing torn poker in the same room IRL. They even admitted that in poker chat room + they wrote in their language as well. Later when staff looked into it, the staff member only told them to write in English. Them playing in the same room would be fine for staff since they can’t to anything against it. Unfair as fck but I think there‘s no way to prevent that.
GeekyGangster [1816148]
Yeah I dont think collusion is such a widespread issue here,

When I first started playing poker after finding it on torn, I decided to have another player help me, we were constantly bumping into each other and still getting beat anyway.

You would have to find someone good at collusion, who is also good at poker and who is willing to ruin their reputation and get mugged/hosped after being caught.

It narrows down just how many you have to worry about.
BackStabbath [886794]
Yea I asked someone on staff a while back if collusion was allowed and they said it was.

I used to play on UB back in the day. I miss that site lol I can basically only play on Global Poker now.