Oi! Last will be my spot, hands off! :-)
URT Qualifying Schedule
Started by sugarvalves [1963573] Committee on in Racing.
Posts archived: 335 / 335 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
I understand the frustration higher RS drivers have when lower RS drivers qualify in their place, but to quote that piece of s**t Boris Johnson, "them's the breaks". Or in this case, brakes.
The goal of the URT is twofold. First, I wanted to run a top-quality tournament to reward racers properly for the effort they've put in over the years in an underserved area of Torn. The second goal was, and will always be, the expansion of the racing community. Nevertheless, this is first and foremost a competition, so the rules will always favour the first goal more than the second. The 10-lap qualifiers, lack of RS restrictions, and unseeded groups help to keep the URT within reach of drivers at roughly 10 RS and above, but the remaining structure still rewards the best more often than not.
I think we've got the right balance at the moment, especially as this year's cohort actually has a higher average RS than before - 39.56, compared to 35.5 last year, and 36.69 the year before. Granted, you'd expect an increase as time goes on, but I'm happy with those numbers at the moment. One number I'd consider increasing in future is an expansion to the number of qualifiers, raising the total from 12 each day to 15 giving us a total of 60. I need to figure out how the groups / knockouts work there though because I do like symmetry when it comes to tournament formats.
Speaking of our qualifiers, I'll be drawing the group stage this weekend after I've assigned stewards to each one. If there's any interest, I could draw it in real-time in the Discord - I'm one of those nerds who always watches tournament draws live on TV.
The goal of the URT is twofold. First, I wanted to run a top-quality tournament to reward racers properly for the effort they've put in over the years in an underserved area of Torn. The second goal was, and will always be, the expansion of the racing community. Nevertheless, this is first and foremost a competition, so the rules will always favour the first goal more than the second. The 10-lap qualifiers, lack of RS restrictions, and unseeded groups help to keep the URT within reach of drivers at roughly 10 RS and above, but the remaining structure still rewards the best more often than not.
I think we've got the right balance at the moment, especially as this year's cohort actually has a higher average RS than before - 39.56, compared to 35.5 last year, and 36.69 the year before. Granted, you'd expect an increase as time goes on, but I'm happy with those numbers at the moment. One number I'd consider increasing in future is an expansion to the number of qualifiers, raising the total from 12 each day to 15 giving us a total of 60. I need to figure out how the groups / knockouts work there though because I do like symmetry when it comes to tournament formats.
Speaking of our qualifiers, I'll be drawing the group stage this weekend after I've assigned stewards to each one. If there's any interest, I could draw it in real-time in the Discord - I'm one of those nerds who always watches tournament draws live on TV.
Well done and congrats to all that made it through, its wan't to be for me this time round.
Many thanks also to all the stewards.
Best of luck to all in the Group stages.
Many thanks also to all the stewards.
Best of luck to all in the Group stages.
I think that would be appreciated if you do it on discord :)
Didn't make it through this time myself, but congrats to everyone who qualified this time around and good luck in the group stages!
We will make indo set us up an actual voice channel for it!!
(I am imagining a screen share moment but I reacted before I actually thought about it fully lol)
(I am imagining a screen share moment but I reacted before I actually thought about it fully lol)
Congrats to all the racers who qualified like me. We are awesome!! We are the top 48 for now!! Stay out of my way bugatti is mine!!!
Oh yes sugar, do that <3
Congratz to all qualyfiers, I am very proud that 2 PT Penguins are there in the final!, super congratz to Rufus and War! Will cheer for you, since I didnt make it this turn, almost....less then a sec....but wint is coming, so all good!
Thanks to Sugar, ched and torn team for the oportunity!
Special thx to the stwearts that make this happen to <3!
Good luck on your journey!
Go Rufus Go War!!
Thanks to Sugar, ched and torn team for the oportunity!
Special thx to the stwearts that make this happen to <3!
Good luck on your journey!
Go Rufus Go War!!
raising the total from 12 each day to 15 giving us a total of 60. [,,,] because I do like symmetry when it comes to tournament formats.
Easy fix, raise it to 16, which gets you 64, and that is divisible by 2 all the way to the final.
a prize for me! i've done 95/99/98 places all the times ahaha poor poor me XDXD
Hey everyone. As promised I'll be drawing the URT Group Stage in the Pit Stop Discord at 5pm TCT. Details of each group will be posted in the summer tournament thread that will go up just after. I've already selected my stewards for the group stages but I'll also be getting in touch with my picks for the knockouts today too.
This year, I've chosen to exclude URT participants from the steward list for the main tournament. This was done to allow racers to practice freely before each race without restriction, as I require races to be posted at least 8 hours before they begin. If our qualifying stewards think this is unnecessary I'll happily add you to the list for the knockouts if you're super keen to do it.
Donator Packs and my sincere gratitude will also be going out to the qualifier stewards today too. Thanks again to all of those who turned up in support of the URT!
This year, I've chosen to exclude URT participants from the steward list for the main tournament. This was done to allow racers to practice freely before each race without restriction, as I require races to be posted at least 8 hours before they begin. If our qualifying stewards think this is unnecessary I'll happily add you to the list for the knockouts if you're super keen to do it.
Donator Packs and my sincere gratitude will also be going out to the qualifier stewards today too. Thanks again to all of those who turned up in support of the URT!
Oh nooo, won't be there at this time watch the draw :(
The URT Groups have been drawn. I'll soon be posting a new tournament thread with all the draw information on it. But if you can't wait that long, here's a link to my spreadsheet.
Good luck racers! Congratulations on qualifying. Enjoy the magic of the URT experience!