Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

PT Magno , Abusing API keys ( Torntuga)

Started by AltafHussain [2495972] on in General Discussion.

1,652 replies · 72k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 1,653 / 1,653 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

PlatinumDevil [1920420]
They are likely to keep with the Temp fed whilst they investigate and determine the extent of the issue as well as determine the appropriate punishment. Also, last action doesn't update whilst the person is in fed so he could have logged in multiple times to respond with Torn staff.
Ripley [2180244]
Players have threatened to stop playing because they didn't like things before; I'm not aware of its ever having changed anything. I also don't see a significant portion of the player base taking their ball and going home over this. I do think they should clarify the API use policy because this kind of thing is likely to come up again, but I don't think that trying to hold them to a particular interpretation of the existing rules is going to force the issue.
Ripley [2180244]
To be perfectly clear, my position is that the application should be banned from accessing the API key, and the API use policy should be updated to specify consequences for players who are involved with API-related rulebreaking. I don't see how this helps PT.
Ripley [2180244]
It's within their rights to try, although I don't see it going anywhere. For what it's worth, I do agree that the application should be banned; I just think it's going to come down to what Ched and bogie think is the best decision, not to an argument over what the rules say.
Freddo [2058023]
You attention does not matter to me at all because who the f**k are you anyway lmao. I'm here for the sweet karma <3
Ripley [2180244]
You're derailing the thread; we're all trying to complain about the topic at hand, thank you very much.
Ata [2507441]
xanty ensures the current members that their info wasn't abused

I have something new to say and what I quoted above might not be the case. I have been mugged by Magno at least twice, both times after my ghost trade expired. Once it was with former PT member, once it was with current PT member. Do note that I too was PT member for short stint, however I am 99% sure I did not share API keys with PT HQ.

For both times I still cannot fully understand how did Magno get all the information necessary for a successful mug (combinations of money on hand, trade expired and last activity).

I do have proofs but I sent them to bogie directly and I will not be disclosing any screenshots/logs publicly until after the investigation.
SporkMonkey [2065017]
Whether he did it or not, I want the truth to come out so bogie and Ched can deal out the appropriate justice.

That being said, I stand by the fact that no one will care what the outcome is. Some people will never be satisfied.

Hence why I ultimately do not care what people think about staying loyal to a faction that’s acted as if I was family.
Ata [2507441]
What bothers me the most is the inevitable reduce in trust in all the valuable hobby programmers that have been coding all sorts of great scripts and websites for the benefit of the community (some also profiting legally from selling those tools, nothing wrong with that).

Magno has been here for 17 years and from what I gather, he has been developing Torntuga for like 16 years. That is A LOT of time! The stuff he's built is incredible. The way he tarnished all this reputation of his for few billions mugged more is mindboggling to me.

That said, I think the crux of the issue here is, staff needs to prove whether he was acting alone or did PT leadership know about his exploits.

I told PT guys (or only maybe just in my own head, lol), that is too dangerous to have all the data for past 16 years only accessible by a single person. No matter the good, safety concernes should have been addressed. Like open sourcing Torntuga codebase to a Git repository, at least accessed by PT leads, and most importantly data backups should be made occasionaly. Do you guys even have a backup plan if something happened to Magno IRL? You would effectively dump 16 years of data and history in the dump as nobody would be able to access it anymore (if something went wrong, like hosting ended or whatever).

Judging by his mugging history, he has been mugging only for past 2 years - however how much of this was from illegal scripts remains to be seen:
[image: snipboard.io]

Interesting info is that Pops also started mugging roughly at the same time as Magno, but he has been so wildly successful that if we put their both stats in, Magno's is also flatlining, lmao:
[image: snipboard.io]

Now, it makes perfect sense that Magno started mugging simply because he saw Pops being so successful and he decided to switch his playstyle, same as Bravotitan did when he went to NS, or it might be pure coincidence.