31 replies · 473 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:32 / 32 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
32
Discussion span
→
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
48 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Mathematics[1631069]
· 6 likes · "they just didn’t want people losing or winning consistently so they force you into the wrong matchup to even it out" No, it's more like they didn't want official races running with fewer than 6 racers, so the system has …
Lightor[2215463]Officer
· 5 likes · Sorry that I have seemed to offend you but if you can't read it's not my fault. I was clearly talking about official races, the only races where matchmaking happens. And I said that RS mostly doesn't matter because of …
Lightor[2215463]Officer
· 2 likes · There is no exact knowledge out there but basically the first to join decides the initial matching RS (is the general consensus) then Torn gradually increases the search parameter to fill the lobbies probably along some other factors, at your …
Does anyone know how matchmaking works for racing? Seems like I always have easily the lowest racing skill in my races. Sometimes people have double mine... Is there anything I can do to change this?
Edit: I literally have only been matched up with people well above my racing skill for 8 races straight.
Lol just got another nice one- a 25, a 27, and two 14s when my racing skill is 8
I’m guessing this is because I won a bunch yesterday and the game wants to make sure I’m not rewarded for having better car configs
EDIT: race after that one against a 13, 16, 18, 19, and 22. I got 6th. 4/5 opponents with at least DOUBLE my racing skill. Four races in a row where I’m by far the lowest. The algo is intentionally putting me at a disadvantage because I won too many points yesterday.
Next one im against 9, 11, 15, and 16. 5 in a row where im the lowest. 4th place
Next one: 9, 12, 16, 19, and 19 for 6 in a row
next: 10, 13, 13, 14, 18. 4th place
next: 10, 14, 20, 21, 24 for 8 races in a row where I’m by far the lowest driving still. 4th place
f**k this un-updated forgotten mini game. It’s literally just designed so that if you suck and lose you get easy matchups and win, and if you’re good they just put you against people 3x your driving skill to make sure you lose no matter how good your cars are set up.
There is no exact knowledge out there but basically the first to join decides the initial matching RS (is the general consensus) then Torn gradually increases the search parameter to fill the lobbies probably along some other factors, at your low RS it is not unlikely that you often race much higher skills.
Having said that official races do not count on RS as much, you just need the right cars to win.
I always feel like I'm too often put in one of the few tracks I don't have a car for. Dang it, Ched.
I never thought to check my opponents' racing skill. For my current race, I'm at 11, and the others are 9, 10, 14, 18, 25. Let's see how this turns out.
So if racing skill doesn’t matter then why does it exist? It obviously matters, they just didn’t want people losing or winning consistently so they force you into the wrong matchup to even it out.
Which is like if you pushed a wrestler to move up in weight classes because they won too much. Lazy game design calibrated to help people who suck at it
RNG has to be a bigger factor at lower lap counts so official race lengths are not decided entirely by skill. It would be very hard on racers in a streak like yours.
I've lost 8 in a row before being the highest racing skill there.
Racing skill obviously helps, because if you look at the statistics for fastest laps, those people all have insanely high racing skill.
That said, if you take another look, sometimes your best laps on certain tracks is only a second or two off of theirs. Sometimes under.
Car configuration is the most important, however, the start is always a grind. I'm now up to 4 fully maxed out cars, all different configs. When you only have one car to go with, it can be a huge grind, but as you get your 2nd and 3rd cars that are configured for specific tracks, it goes a little faster.
I joined a Mechanics shop for quite some time to help out with this. 10 job points a day > 2 racing points to help with upgrades.
Sorry that I have seemed to offend you but if you can't read it's not my fault. I was clearly talking about official races, the only races where matchmaking happens. And I said that RS mostly doesn't matter because of the low amount of laps there, I didn't say that it didn't matter at all and I clearly answered what you were asking, even advising you to put more effort on acquiring new cars than relying on skill for these races smh
"they just didn’t want people losing or winning consistently so they force you into the wrong matchup to even it out"
No, it's more like they didn't want official races running with fewer than 6 racers, so the system has to be able to quickly fill the slots in the race. This creates problems by having the risk of matching higher RS players against lower RS players, so they kept the lap counts short on official races to rely on RNG to minimize the effect of RS so lower RS racers could still win against higher RS racers.
The alternative of course would be to delay start times of official races until 6 racers of similar RS join, but that runs the risk of a race taking longer than 60 minutes to start, especially if a racer leaves the race at the last minute.
Everyone is subjected to official races against racers of higher or lower racing skill. Everyone goes through periods of losing streaks or winning streaks. If you truly are losing far more frequently than the average racer, odds are it's because you are using the wrong car and/or setup. Even if the culprit was in fact your RS being too low, there are ways to address that issue (e.g. Work at a TV Station, Grind 100 lap races for awhile).
That doesn’t explain at all why I only get put against higher RS. All you’re saying is there is a wide variance so that they can quickly fill races (which is idiotic anyway because the race doesn’t start for an hour even if the race fills in 30 seconds- why force the MM to fill the race in 30 seconds rather then waiting 5-10 minutes?). I mean most races I’m in fill in like 30 seconds- I doubt it would take over an hour to find a more reasonable matchup.
But having a wide variance isn’t what I’m complaining about anyway... I AM ONLY GETTING PUT WITH MUCH HIGHER RS. I kept track for 8 races and not one single person had lower RS then me, out of 40 people I got matched with. Probably about half had at least DOUBLE my RS. I think one person in one race had the same as me. If it was just a variance issue I’d get put with both higher and lower- and don’t tell me every single person who races is above 8 RS because there’s no way that’s the case.
Its not about the cars at all- I outperform people with higher RS all the time because I read the guides about which car to use. I noticed the RS disparity because I’d look up someone anytime they beat me with the same car (to see if I lost because of car upgrades or RS). And basically all of the ones I looked up were double my RS or more. And I’m assuming my relative good outcomes are why I’m being put against higher and higher RS. Im sure that if I grind RS to 20 I’ll just be put against you and data every race.
Your RS is pretty much at the bottom of A rank. That means that most of the people in your rank have a much higher RS than you do. It's not surprising that you're being matched against people with a higher RS than yours; it'd be a lot more surprising if you weren't.
" I AM ONLY GETTING PUT WITH MUCH HIGHER RS....... Probably about half had at least DOUBLE my RS.... don’t tell me every single person who races is above 8 RS because there’s no way that’s the case"
You're also at the bottom of class A for racing skill...so not really a surprise. Your own testing is showing you that, you just don't want to accept it.
"Its not about the cars at all"
Well you've earned 1,383 racing points. That's enough for roughly 5 cars. Since you say you follow the guide, you should know that means you still have 7 cars to go. So no, you aren't necessarily running the best car/setup on each track, so yes, if your issue is that you are frequently losing races, it could be the car. (Especially since all those higher RS racers you are racing against likely have all the cars the guide calls for)
" I outperform people with higher RS all the time.... I’m assuming my relative good outcomes are why....."
So what exactly are you complaining about then? You're going on and on about being matched with higher RS racers, but then say you're beating higher RS racers all the time and have relatively good outcomes in your races. So are you complaining that you are losing too much or winning too much? Are you complaining that official races try and even the playing field for all 6 racers? I'm just not following what your issue is.
Um, yeah....you are. 1,376 might seem like a lot to you, but it's actually not a lot compared to a lot of class A racers out there. You've only won 212 races total. I have individual cars that have won more races than you've won total. You've done 1,541 races total, my LFA alone has ran 1,747. You are at the bottom of class A, whether you like to hear it or not.
Edit: According to Torn Stats, there are over 10,000 racers in torn with a RS higher than 10. The racer currently ranked #10,000 for racing points earned, has 1,421 points.
There's a matchup system for it? Huh...well, there ya go! X-D
Seriously, though, official races are largely random. As others have stated, car specs matter much more than racing skill level. My racing skill is lower than yours & I win maybe 1 in 10 races, top 3 in roughly half (since fully-speccing my Class A car). Almost all others are higher racing skill than me but, I still beat them, sometimes. :-D
Bottom line, have patience, it's a marathon - a long, tedious, mud-laden marathon - not a quartet mile drag race.
Also, with the number of points you've earned so far, you should be able to have fully-specced cars suitable for just about every track (giving you maximum chance of winning, if you use the best car-upgrade combo). If you're just fitting the same parts to every car, or using just 1 car for all tracks, this will further reduce your chance of winning.
" I kept track for 8 races and not one single person had lower RS then me, out of 40 people I got matched with"
So out of the 1,542 races you've done and 7,710 racers you've been matched with, you analyzed 8 races and 40 racers?
I think you need to up your sample size before forming any conclusion. Heck, I run around 100 races with a car before I form an opinion on it or the setup it's running. Collect the driver RS data on your next 100 races, and then we can talk about it.