28 replies · 853 views · thread synced · 12 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:29 / 29 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
29
Discussion span
→
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Im not sure where this thread would go, but someone suggested I post this to the forum, for fun, and I suppose it would best fit into the general discussion forums.
So, I decided to do some math to figure out just how long it is to truly finish your education. Obviously, you can just look this up online, but I wasn't satisfied with that. So I went there, counted every single course length at my current bonus (max merits but no stock market), multiplied the amount by however long that specific kind of course takes, etc. Here is all the math I came up with.
5d 14h 24m = 8064m > x14 = 112,896m
11d 4h = 16128m > x48 = 774,144m
16d 19h 12m = 21192m > x38 = 805,926m
22d 9h 36m = 32256m > x14 = 451,584m
28d 0h 0m = 40320 > x4 = 161,280m
33d 14h 24m = 48384m > x5 = 241,920m
39d 4h 48m = 56448m > x3 = 169,344m
Most Time = 16d 19h 12m at 805,926 minutes or 13,432.1 hours or 559.67083 (3 repeating) days or approximately 1 year and 194 days (+ some hours and minutes)
Most Amount = 11d 4h 48m at 48 courses
Least Time = 5d 14h 24m at 112,896 minutes or 1,881.6 hours or 78.4 days
Least Amount = 39d 4h 48m at 3 courses
Total Time: 2,717,094 minutes, or 45,284.9 hours or 1,886.87083 (3 repeating) days or 5.16950 (then a bunch of decimals) years, or approximately 5 years and 80 days (+ some hours and minutes) 6 years and 73 days without the merits, (+20% to the original number.) and 4 years and 237 days with the merits and stock market bonus. (-10% to the original number.)
No Bonus to All Bonus gap = 566 days
My current educations:
5d14h24m x 6 = 48,384m
11d4h48m x 1 = 16,128m
16d19h12m x 6 = 127,152m
22d9h36m x 2 = 64,512m
+ current course = 278,410m (roughly) = 4640 (roughly) hours = 193 (roughly) days 5 years and 80 days = 1906.25 days - 193 = 1713.25 days = 4.69 years. (Or, 4.12 years if I get the stock market bonus.)
Cost: $225,995 (cost for every course admission.)
This is the math I did. It took me about an hour and 35 minutes to do all of this. If I made any mistakes, it's probably pretty obvious why.
Hope you have fun laughing at me for taking time out of my day to do this, rather than looking it up myself!
I have since been told about the education time reducing booster.
Assuming you boost every chance you get (not including faction benefits), your courses can be done in 7547.483 (3 repeating) hours instead with max education merits, or 315.6 days. Boosting with max education merits can cut your time down from 5 years 80 days to 315.6 days.
At no bonus at all, it takes 377.4167 days or a year and 12 days (with some extra)
At max education merits and with stock market bonus, it takes 283 days.
Wow, 283 days. But, at what cost? (And I don't just mean how much those books of caroling would cost... I mean the cost of not using your booster CD to happy jump, use cans, use alcohol, etc).
I'm just happy to stare at the little icon timer that tells me I have 31 days, 21 hours, and 49 minutes left till I'm done (yes, I got rid of the merits in edu after I had all the useful-to-me edus).
To complete every education at no boosts from a fitness center or hair salon would take 108,696 job points To complete every education with max merit boost from a fitness center or hair salon would take 90,569.8 job points (so 90,570) To complete every education with max merit boost and stock bonus from a fitness center or hair salon would take 81,512.82 job points (so 81,513)
Fitness Centers start this at 1 star, which grants 1 job point a day. This means that it would take more days to get the job points to complete the educations than it would to just complete them without the job points.
Hair Salons start this at 7 stars, which is 7 job points a day. This, however, does not include however long it takes your hair salon to GET to 7 stars. This also is longer than just completing them without the job points.
Both at 10 stars is the same deal.
Both of these, + all bonuses, + the Book of Carol, would shorten the time taken to, doing general assumptions, between 240 days and 140 days.
Addendum: 240 days is assuming you have no bonuses and 140 days is assuming you have all. I shouldn't have really included the "all bonuses" but this explains it.
Nice arithmetic, but it points in a questionable direction. Finishing your edus as quickly as possible is not necessarily worth the fuss. At the end of the day you find yourself doing useless courses for no great reward. I am very happy that I never wasted merits on edu - they were worth much more to me in places that reinforced my desired characteristics.
For anyone curious, I asked about the Voracity max bonus. You can do an extra 24 hours worth of boosts. This means instead your education could be finished in 282 days, ~376 days, or ~314 days.
Not like it makes much of a difference at all, but I had to stay true to solving it.
Editing this to say I AM reading everything you all are saying! And believe me, at the end of the day, whether you spend the impossibly costly 283 days, or over 6 years, its all the same end result. I just wanted to solve the hypotheticals! Thank you for supporting my insanity nonetheless.
I decided not to chicken out and do the proper math I only skirted in the job points example.
I noted that with the book of carols, it will take you:
377 days at no bonuses,
315 days with max education merits,
and 283 days with max education merits and stock bonus.
I decided to see how many job points you could possibly get with either job in these amount of days. Of course, the actual amount of days will be cut down as you turn in your job points, so the math is... semi-wonky. But, it's the best I can do for you. Also, I'm cutting out decimals to save my brain energy, as I've been at this for several hours already, even though nobody actually needed to know any of this.
377 days at no bonuses, assuming you join a 1 star fitness center (the first star you can reduce your education time at), cuts the total time to roughly 369 days. So with perfectly timed book of carols, + max job points, it would take 369 days. If you account for max Voracity benefits, 368. With a 7 star hair salon, this would take 322 days. 321 accounting for max Voracity. Either job at 10 star would cut the time to roughly 299 days. 298 at max Voracity.
With all that wordiness out of the way, lets cut it down for the next two.
315 days max edu merits, 1 star fitness center = 309 days, 308 with max Voracity. 7 star hair salon = 276 days, 275 with max Voracity. 10 star either = 250 days, 249 with max Voracity.
283 days max edu merits and stock bonus, 1 star fitness center = 277 days, 276 with max Voracity. 7 star hair salon = 242 days, 241 with max Voracity. 10 star either = 224 days, 223 with max Voracity.
THAT'S IT! We're done! Unless anybody else wants me to solve anything else, like the cost of every book of carols you'd possibly need, (please do not ask me this, i will cry) or has any additional input on ways to reduce education course time, this is it! The maximum length of time required for every education is 6 years and 73 days of time, the minimum length of time required for every education is 223 days. Thank you all for stopping by.
Well, I could've always just used this, but the fun (and pain) of it all was doing the math along the way! But yes, this is probably much better for finding the time it would take than reading my ramblings.
this is an additional reduction you can get from the Education torn job if you become principal. You keep the perk as a passive even if you leave the principal job. It's one of the 3 torn jobs that give you a passive perk as a bonus. The other two are medical (revive perk) and law (10% bonux crime xp perk).
Ah, well , that's fairly simple. That just requires you to subtract an additional 10%.
2,717,094 - 20% (2,717,094 being the number i got with max edu merits, then subtracting 10% for stocks, then 10% for the principal perk)
Will come out to 2,173,675.2 minutes. This comes out to 36,227.92 hours, 1509.4967 days, roughly 4.136 years or roughly 4 years and 48 days. That's a difference of 189 days.
Now, since I have to stay true to the rest... no matter what, the job points on their own will still take longer, as stated in that post.
The book of carol alone will reduce this to 6037.9867 hours, or 251.6 days. This is about 32.4 days shorter than max edu merits and stock but no principal bonus.
Now, obviously, book of carol reduces it to 251.6 days, so...
With a 1 star fitness center, this is roughly 246 days. With a 7 star hair salon, this is roughly 214 days, and with either at 10 stars this is roughly 199.2 days. There we go. That makes the lowest possible education time 199.2 days.
Addendum: Forgot Voracity. Book of Carol becomes 250.6 days, 1 star FC becomes 245, 7 star HS becomes 213, 10 star either becomes 198.2.