Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

API Bug

Started by marsey99 [1404499] on in Graveyard.

146 replies · 4.57k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 147 / 147 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

RealmKeeper [781015]
Would this then mean that if a developer is looking for an accurate source of, or reference, data then they should be scraping content from the game itself rather than rely on the official API provided specifically for that purpose?
BaronVonMarlon [2163275]
I am just awaiting them to fix all manner of problems they have by putting a news ticker up of.

”Please expect slowness and errors for the whole of 2023”

Either that or a new broom to brush them all underneath the piled up rug.
JustJanet [911066]
Oy.. you know I rarely chain.. but when I do, there is the clock on the page that lets me know how many minutes I have. it's always there... did that go away? If that went away, I see the issue.. if it didn't and people are relying on a visual notice or audible notice to pop up instead of looking at a fully visible clock that just needs looking at every 30 seconds or so... Am I missing something? I mean.. especially if it is really important, should you use the for sure information versus the extra information?

It's like my alarm in the morning.. I have an easy alarm that is supposed to wake me when it is most advantageous during my sleep cycle to get up. however, that means I might be prompted to get out of bed 20minutes earlier than I really have to. I have my real alarm clock that tells me, "Get the f**k out of bed or you are going to be late!" The sleep cycle alarm is nice but it doesn't mean I ignore the real alarm. All the bells and whistles are nice but the thing that needs to be paid attention to is the one that matters and that's actually visible to be seen all the time. Just to be clear.. that clock did not fail right?
DR34M_W34V3R [1886958]
Nobody plays Torn without scripts and apps. The game is unplayable without them. Everyone is blaming the factions for dropping their chains, saying that they shouldn’t have played the game the way everyone has for ages. Torn provided the bad data that misled players.


You set a precedent to give two energy refills due to a slowdown that affected everyone. That was a sign that you were concerned with the player experience. It was an easy solution that didn’t require much work on your end.


Now that you are faced with a problem that affected the chains of four factions it seems you are just trying to get off easy to dismiss the situation. Playing the odds that the vast majority of Torn doesn’t care about only four faction chains is probably a safe bet. If this happened to more factions I think the response would be different and not brushed off so easily.
Shandurai [25719]
Yes you are missing something - the complaint is that torn knew of the issue and decided to ignore it.

Do with that information what you will.
SpARkS4206967 [2175802]
This pretty much covers everything I wanted to say.

API is a part of torn. And that particular service of torn being down or giving incorrect data should be treated like the site being down.
How often do these failures happen really? Pretty rarely I'd say and some ad-hoc requests because of a particular feature of torn being down isn't something unimaginable.
JustJanet [911066]
Did they ignore it or were they working on it and not bothering to say anything about it because it didn't seem like that big of a deal? It's always much easier to see that sharing information would be helpful in a particular aspect after the fact.

I think the point being made by Bogie's comment, 'Your chain broke 57 minutes ago, the API issue has been a thing for about 6 hours now," was to illustrate that the game was supplying the needed information to keep the chain alive. The chain died despite the information being there and the API is now the fall guy because an expected failsafe failed. The API clearly wasn't the cause, or the chain would have failed 5 hours earlier.

I suppose there is a point to be made that the information that there was an issue with the API could have been shared, but was it necessary for the chain to succeed? The answer seems fairly clear... only once people weren't actually watching the chain. The onus of the success of the chain is on the faction members not the API. The API is a set of data that people can use, as they see fit, to help make their game play easier. It is a feature that Ched allows us to make use of as we will. He doesn't provide it with any claims other than it is there to utilize. If the game clock failed then there is a valid argument to be made. The feature Torn offers to help keep track of the chain was functional and always available, proven by the fact that people were able to keep their chains going despite the API issue.
Kidnapped [1841988]
defo sounds like your teams problem for not actually watching your chains and relying on tools to help you.

its nice when you actually finish a chain and the bonus lands perfectly.

DK- defeated FanRin to achieve the 50,000 chain bonus and 20,480 respect

catch ya next Halloween hopefully see you make more threads crying about your chain watchers dropping the ball
RadicalFanatic [1483140]
I don't play with scripts, bots, apps, many don't. Sure it's much harder, without cheats. But alot of people play without it, and get api lag so you can have an advantage, I mostly play on phone which means scripts don't work.

My factions chain didn't break due to api, problem is you.
Shandurai [25719]
I didnt mention a thing about chains but you seem stuck with opinion of the matter that by your own admission has nothing do with you and your gameplay.

Torn has an API because, well, it does a whole bunch of things across the board. This isnt a isolated incident because API messes with a lot of things (how often do you get pings from yata server because api messed something...)

The frustration is the continuous slowdown and problems that quite frankly come with the game running into these repeated issues that they continue to bandaid and not fix. Spoiler, bandaids usually exasperate the problem at a later date which is why they likely dont want to restore any chains.

So whatever, the world hasnt ended. We gained our respect, treats, and other such gains for our gameplay over the last week.

But do better torn.

It's not funny when your game crashes on every scheduled event. It's not funny when your game mechanics rely on timers and then we cant so much as load pages. I lost several retals due to lag since they need to be made within a timeframe, and if pages dont load.... It's not funny when you blame the players for a technical issue regardless of what they used it for.
Felloser [2175870]
I'm currently a bit frustrated.

We kept the chain going for 2 hours since ched confirmed this bug, unaware of this bug existing. This bug was around for at least 2 more hours before. Nobody informed us.

We're a faction based with most members in North America and Europe. During that time most of the NA members were sleeping, the european members were at work, we had at least 5 of them ready to jump in once the chain drops under 2 minutes. But because they were at work, we can't really expect them to always look 24 hrs at the chain, since they would get fired because of that. The API proved as a reliable tool before, so we used it this time aswell. As most of torn did aswell.

Maybe we're just unlucky since we don't have staff members in our faction, or people that don't monitor the bug forums as they work or sleep. Which would have probably informed us about the bug of the API delivering wrong data. Again, if we knew about that, we would have prepared countermeasures against the chain dropping. I maybe would have even taken a day off for that.

Since we were working 8 freaking days pretty hard on this chain, only for it to drop because the torn API was entirerly broken and nobody cared to notice the chaining factions in any way.

So yeah, guess we should just devote our entire life around torn, quit our jobs and stop sleeping to achive that 50k and 100k chains in future, again what learned.
I may have exaggerated the last sentence a bit, but yeah I don't know if I should play torn any longer, since everything is now our fault, since we don't devote our life for torn...
DR34M_W34V3R [1886958]
Nope. I didn’t waste my time watching the chain and we did 50k, no problem. I wouldn’t expect to ask my faction mates to watch the chain without API assistance. Their time is valuable and they should have the same expectations playing the game when chaining as when they are trading or flying, etc.

I can understand where you are coming from as one of the many trolls that have no life outside of Torn.
RadicalFanatic [1483140]
Cool, calling me a troll with no life somehow disputes what???? 100 members and everyone can't find less then 20 mins a day to chain watch? Yeah you definitely didn't deserve it. That's the problem with apis handouts to crying losers.
manic [1554958]
I know... But what can I do?
I was elsewhere getting my 100k medal.

I can't be everywhere!

But I'm back now, so it should only be 3 next time...