Karma is a great indicator to determine forum presence. While Karma doesn't exactly have a purpose, it would be a change to see forum post/karma ranking. By ranking, I mean numerical value ranking.
I know what you're thinking..."Why do we need a ranking system when Karma is already a ranking system in itself?"
Well, in my opinion, I believe that adding a post/karma rank system would create a more active community and also give Karma more value rather than a green or red number.
How would it stir a more active community? Well, it's complicated. People enjoy the competitive nature of Torn naturally. Anything associated with a rank turns into a strong-arm battle of who can be better. While this may have a few downsides such as spam posting, trolling, and karma fraud; we face this daily originally.
Also, I'd like to point out that when I say post/karma ranking, I am asking the people to decide which should be best, if not both. The ranking could apply to both equally in conjuction just like the leveling aspect (average-outcast, competent-outcast, etc) or separate.
Here are some examples of what I mean:
Post Rank
• 1-100 posts (rank: unknown)
• 101-250 posts (rank: small-time)
• 251-650 posts (rank: helpful)
• 651-1500 posts (rank: enlightened)
• 1501-5000 posts (rank: master)
Positive Karma Rank
• 0-15 karma (rank: goober)
• 16-50 karma (rank: sweetheart)
• 51-150 karma (rank: lover)
• 151-500 karma (rank: guru)
• 501-1500 karma (rank: grand guru)
Negative Karma Rank
• 0-15 negative karma (rank: meanie)
• 16-50 negative karma (rank: trickster)
• 51-150 negative karma (rank: hater)
• 151-500 negative karma (rank: criminal)
• 501-1500 negative karma (rank: sinner)
This system could work in conjuction such as:
(Unkown goober)
(Enlightened lover)
(Master grand-guru)
or
(Unkown meanie)
(Helpful trickster)
(Small-time hater)
Obviously, the values of post/karma count ranking would have to be optimized. This is only an example to give an idea of how it would look. Maybe Ched could start an opinion thread of which ranks/values would work best for the community.
Let me know what you think..
I know what you're thinking..."Why do we need a ranking system when Karma is already a ranking system in itself?"
Well, in my opinion, I believe that adding a post/karma rank system would create a more active community and also give Karma more value rather than a green or red number.
How would it stir a more active community? Well, it's complicated. People enjoy the competitive nature of Torn naturally. Anything associated with a rank turns into a strong-arm battle of who can be better. While this may have a few downsides such as spam posting, trolling, and karma fraud; we face this daily originally.
Also, I'd like to point out that when I say post/karma ranking, I am asking the people to decide which should be best, if not both. The ranking could apply to both equally in conjuction just like the leveling aspect (average-outcast, competent-outcast, etc) or separate.
Here are some examples of what I mean:
Post Rank
• 1-100 posts (rank: unknown)
• 101-250 posts (rank: small-time)
• 251-650 posts (rank: helpful)
• 651-1500 posts (rank: enlightened)
• 1501-5000 posts (rank: master)
Positive Karma Rank
• 0-15 karma (rank: goober)
• 16-50 karma (rank: sweetheart)
• 51-150 karma (rank: lover)
• 151-500 karma (rank: guru)
• 501-1500 karma (rank: grand guru)
Negative Karma Rank
• 0-15 negative karma (rank: meanie)
• 16-50 negative karma (rank: trickster)
• 51-150 negative karma (rank: hater)
• 151-500 negative karma (rank: criminal)
• 501-1500 negative karma (rank: sinner)
This system could work in conjuction such as:
(Unkown goober)
(Enlightened lover)
(Master grand-guru)
or
(Unkown meanie)
(Helpful trickster)
(Small-time hater)
Obviously, the values of post/karma count ranking would have to be optimized. This is only an example to give an idea of how it would look. Maybe Ched could start an opinion thread of which ranks/values would work best for the community.
Let me know what you think..