Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Multiple Accounts

Started by Gavin_Dymock [938138] on in General Discussion.

32 replies · 2.04k views · thread synced · 16 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 33 / 33 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
33
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
61 / 100
Engagement score
73 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Theon1917 [2829265] ×1

Gavin_Dymock [938138]

[background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]Do you think there are players (Who Actually Have A Multi) [background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]that have been reported for multiple accounts by other players but gone undetected by staff?[/background][/background]



When you are sure as shit a person has but staff say.........Computer said, No.


[background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]''I have not found evidence of this. Please report again if you can provide specific details where the player is mugging a specific player after a point sale.''[/background]


Maybe the staff are right or maybe people have a good way of hiding it and cheating these days.


[background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]What is your opinion?[/background]

Markland [1385260]
I think its inevitable that some multi accounts will escape detection, not many, but some

And there have certainly been cases where players have reported multis to staff before they had been spotted

Sometimes it takes a long time for staff to get the evidence that someone is a multi

Better they are sure than an innocent player gets banned
dark95 [2321537]
No, however I do believe there are people with multiple personality disorder that play torn on 4-5 different accounts... one for each personality xD
Ac3to [2196357]
There are obviously current players with a multi that have yet to be caught (or fully investigated), but I doubt there are people who have been investigated and cleared by staff that are actually using multis. I don't think it's likely that staff can't detect a multi where a player can. When the player can just see their public Torn habits, while staff can see that too, along with everything they do privately, where they login from, have recorded logs of all their activity... etc.

There are various tools used to track data and suspicions of multis, some of which we've seen... they even go to the trouble of creating sting operations to catch RMT. I don't think they're complacent in catching rulebreakers.

On the other hand there's always posts about 'my friend was fedded for multis with no evidence', so I guess it goes both ways; apparently staff will fed people for no reason, and also not bother fedding people with good evidence lol.
Taxxon [882264]
Depends on what you mean by 'cleared'.

Yes this has happened, people get reported for script abuse or Mutlis and can takes months before they are banned/caught.

Alot of the time they dont have enough evidence when you make the report but they get monitored, which can result in deeper digging. Ive seen people get banned for stuff over a year after its reported. See the most recent NW bannings, it was said they were investigated for awhile. odds are the inital report had been closed and 'cleared'.

So it really depends on what you mean, if youre asking if its possible humans made a mistake and ;et cheaters go?

100% - Guilty Men walk free daily with more evidence than ever be collected over the internet,
blockhead77 [2539580]
There is always the possibility, but staff does a good job at catching cheaters. Or at least it seems that way, it’s likely a pretty hard job.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Do you think there are players (Who Actually Have A Multi)
that have been reported for multiple accounts by other players but gone undetected by staff?

100% yes.

There are also cases we look at and we just know this person is a multi... But we just can't quite put enough evidence together to pull the trigger... So we'll observe, wait for a slip-up or for sufficient evidence to materialize... The burden of proof on staff is high, as it rightly should be, the burden of proof for players is non existent, which is also fine... But with that consider how frustrating it is for you when we don't jail someone... And then think how even MORE frustrating it is for us when we can't jail someone we just know is cheating.... But we're patient, and in my opinion that is far preferable to us being overzealous labeling people as multis...

Think of it like drug tests in sporting events. You know there are people doping and taking performance enhancing drugs, but they can't prove it yet...

However they keep logs and tests for the specific purpose of testing with improved tools and if someone is they will catch them later down the line.

It's of course very frustrating to those playing legitimately in the meantime, but we can't simply ban for multis on suspicion alone.

We keep logs and will actively go back on suspicious accounts as tools and methods improve and when we can catch them they've wasted their entire time in building up the accounts. We'll remove everything they gain from the multis and apply a sufficient penalty, if they've made a moderate gain from the multis they get it all removed and at least 30 days in jail, or outright deletion if it's greater than that. We've made recent provisions for "case by case" scenarios where we come across "people who should know better", this falls solely at my discretion and the officers know when to bring up those cases, rather than rely on existing standards.

Minor cases and newbies get lighter sentences, warnings for first time or just 7 days ban. It used to be that basically all multis get 7 days for first offense regardless of extent, this was one of the first things I changed during my time here.

In the time that I've been here I would absolutely claim that both false hits are down and accurate jailings/deletions for multis are up. This isn't a failure of past staff or systems, they do the best with what they have and we continue to improve upon that with continuous improvements in training and detection methods.
dunmugmeh [538353]
I have played the game for ages. I try not to think about the cheaters too much to be honest. It goes with the territory. Text browser games are a nerd magnet. There are good nerds and evil nerds... ie cheaters.

If you 'know' someone is cheating and you want it sorting out, dont cry at the cheater well maybe you could cry at them a bit to provoke a mistake out of them ... ie they might come at you with their multis and be easier for staff to spot ..

Maybe try to provoke them into revealing themselves in another way? Bounty them, shun them get others to shun them ie do NO game business with them. War them, or maybe get your stronger friends to war them?

The cheater might get desperate and reveal themselves with desperate measures if they see there is grave peril afoot ..

I know the cheaters are there but to be honest i dont bother thinking about them that much they will be dealt with eventually. It can be sped up i suppose if you poke them and go after them ...

I hate cheaters but i dont spend a lot of time thinking about them. Life is too short.

The cheater really really really wants to win badly. If its going bad for them they will use their multis in a obvious way ...
Beerstein [1322136]
Honestly, as long as they're not interacting in any way/boosting eachother I don't even care if someone is a multi. They're effectively the same as any other player.

To me the only problem is when they coordinate. Target people they don't like together, transfer funds/power in some way between eachother, boost companies, or factions together. All these things are things close friends/family might do, but that it's not at all okay for multis to do. That said, most of what I listed are probably pretty easily detectable, some a bit harder, and until they do something blatant is not likely actionable without really good evidence.

In short, I don't even care if someone has multis that have 0 interaction via company/faction/boosting eachother/targeting opponents, and I doubt Torn would ever even action those if they did simply because they wouldn't do anything to indicate they are anyway. The real problem is 99% of multis are likely created SPECIFICALLY to boost eachother in some way.

This is not saying you should ever multi for any reason, and really you shouldn't not just because it's not allowed but because it's like nailing the door shut while you're in your parents basement.
Elizabeth [2339829]
Oh no doubt. It happens, and there's not a whole lot to do about it. The first name that comes to mind regarding this actually did eventually get bonked for it, DieselMack, but it only took so long because they were originally separate accounts run by separate people (supposedly family members, iirc), but eventually DieselMack took over the other accounts and most if not all of them have since been bonked. I do check up on them every now and again though, just to be sure XD
Becki [2626936]
I don’t know. Someone who Im not allowed to name was fedded for 7 days for joking about a multi.


The inconsistent application is confusing to me.

I got a creepy AF message from an account that was a couple days old. The creepy message was not unusual, this is Torn after all but the fact the account was a couple days old, no faction, no level up but they found me to message….


And because Im me, I message them back and tell them what a creep they are. They try to play it off as a compliment. But I reply again, nah you are a creep and you join a game, don’t appear to be playing it just to send women creepy messages…

To which they reply “I didn’t feel comfortable sending from my real Torn account”…

I have never reported anything but fk this, I report and tell them to check the message which I know staff can see. Nothing happens. Nothing.

Someone can joke and get a 7 day fed but someone says it directly and nothing happens.


6 weeks later they are still level 1, still no faction, still done nothing…

either they are a multi OR a real life person stalking me. Either should not be okay. But they just logged in 5 mins ago.. make it make sense.

https://www.torn.com/profiles.php?XID=2829265

Mentions: Theon1917 [2829265]

Whoracle [750076]
Depending how hard to you want to try to have a multi. Like in theory. You can run one at work and one at home. Not worth doing. I don't get what purpose it would serve. Unless you can get an army of accounts working for your company.
I believe there are far more people using automated software. for example. I think you should need to do a captia to take a xanax.
Roshan-Mo [2782283]
I don't know why you have prejudice against SMTH! We love this game as much as other players and abide by the rules of the game. As a non English speaking area, we have our own chat software. The largest discussion area has more than 1000 players. They are real players and like the virtual world of TORN.