Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Charity Center

Started by Elizabeth [2339829] on in General Discussion.

41 replies · 1.26k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 42 / 42 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
42
Discussion span
→
Authority score
38 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
58 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Elizabeth [2339829]
Yesterday, Ched [announced] that a new area of Torn City will be introduced called the Charity Center! That thread in Suggestions is looking for ideas for potential rewards for those who donate through the Charity Center. It seems fairly clear that most if not all the rewards for donating are going to be cosmetic, so I wouldn't expect to be seeing any SE's added into the mix on this one. If you have ideas, head over there to let Ched know!

As for this thread, what charities would you like to see added to the list? And are you planning or considering donating through the Charity Center?

Mentions: Charity Center - Rewards for donating to charity

Hamr [2027992]
Royal British Legion for that matter

Cancer Research

WWF (not to be confused with WWE)

Médecins Sans Frontières
Penetration [2340613]
A vetted oceanic or animal rescue/conservation charity.

People f**k it up for ourselves, but the animals are innocent. Except Orca's.
Vortuitous [2844636]
Dementia Research Institutes, Autism/Neurodiverse Research Institutes, Robotics, Nanomedicine, Cancer Research, Help for the Homeless, etc.

The institutes I'd consider donating to are the ones that have proven themselves to use the funds to enhance people's lives or at least contribute to people's lives in some way or another. In other words, visible proof that charities are actively doing what they set out to do with results shown.
Elizabeth [2339829]
That's great! In the announcement post, Ched actually shows the current build of the main page for the Charity Center and Ukraine's "Come Back Alive" charity is at the very top of the list!
ChillySpunc [1905415]
I'm personally against donating to anything that supports war or charities managed by people who are making millions every year, any charity claiming to be finding a cure for cancer is dodgy as f**k to me.

I'd like to see charities supported be properly vetted by Torn or maybe even a third party.

As for rewards I don't care, it'd be great if rather than my subscription I could pay a little more to go to charity and my subscription so both Torn and the charities benefit. I'll definitely be using the feature if it's added, I think this is a great decision by Ched, as a community we can do a lot of good for the world, huge respect to him for this.

Also, after looking at the screenshot, I hope there are alternative payment methods.
Td3h [1785428]
Ive donated around 1.5k USD this year to camfed and doctors without borders, dont see a point personally. But hey, if I can pick up some free cosmetics along the way why not. Maybe it will engage more people to support worthy causes that otherwise wouldnt.

On the other hand I also try to avoid CC processing fees when donating so having them be CC only would kind of suck. Transferring via bank is something I prefer doing as 1-2% extra may end up with the recipient.

We will see how it goes I guess.
Elizabeth [2339829]
Totally fair. In the screenshot Ched shared, it shows you can hand pick which charity you want to donate to, some of which are not war related at all. You can and absolutely should do your own research on charities before donating to them! And if you have any ideas for specific charities that you'd want to donate to, please share them!
Sepulchrave [2092631]
As someone who has been face to face, eye-to-eye, in a canoe, on a moonlit night, with an orca, I beg to differ. They are wonderful, intelligent creatures who transcend all notions of guilt and innocence.

I will only donate to charities that actively support orcas.
Voxtrox [2529046]
yay now we have a charity center for all the dumbass noobs that think they didnt get enough free shit during black friday.

no more noobs begging for money in global and trade chat!
dunmugmeh [538353]
in the past in real life i have donated to charities. i have done more than my fair share over the years.

If a charity centre was introduced into the game i would donate more to charities.

I am very happy and greatful i live in the best country in the world, england. I know how bad it is for people in other parts of the world i always follow news /current affairs business etc.

But my number 1 passion with charities is to help those who cant really be helped. nature, the animals. Im not a eco hippy im a realist. we HAVE to protect what is left of the eco system.

If my thoughts can be fulfilled in the charity centre i will donate.
Ripley [2180244]
While I did voice my opinion in other threads that some of the complaints about the charity center were asinine, and I think encouraging whales to give money to charity for cosmetic benefits is probably a good thing, I don't do charitable giving through companies because it serves as a way for my money to fund the company's PR. I'd rather keep the two separate.