Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

China protests

Started by CaptainGreen [2161724] on in Politics & Law.

280 replies · 1.46k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 281 / 281 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Unlucky [2472585]
There’s no point in trying to discuss anything with you. Which is a shame because I’d like to understand your viewpoint.
Lenin [2199004]
i'm so sorry, you're right, it was a mistake of me to believe that the evil empire of CHYNAH cares about something greater than PoLiTiCaL CaPiTaL
Unlucky [2472585]
It’s a staple of authoritarian governments, they have to appear strong at all times to help control the people.


Uhhhh didn’t China force the doctor who discovered COVID to retract his observations. Doesn’t seem very scientific to me.
mrnoob2 [2770824]
I guess China isn't authoritarian then as they've changed direction numerous times including publishing theory on the changes. Their constitution is a living document that regularly changes with their approach.

I can understand why a government might gag someone who appears to be attempting to create an unwarranted panic. Nobody knew what covid would turn out to be and there's been numerous extremely similar viruses where we've seen panic but no meaningful damage (swine flu, bird flu, SARS). Scientists are supposed to report their findings and advocate for necessary precautions within the system. It's the job of organisations like the WHO or CDC to deal with policy and public relations.
ACCOUNT_CLOSED [2670493]
I dont know where you get your information from, but you are unfortunately incorrect.

China's economy is in a very bad shape. They just had a property collapse so bad that one of the largest firms in the industry almost filed for bankruptcy. They keep lowering their interest rates to enable their banks to have cashflow and to try and boost the economy by making loans more appealing.

But lower interest rates to borrowers also means lower interest rates to the people indebted. Suddenly the population stopped paying their loans and mortgages. Hence the crash in the property market.

Their debt in 2020 was about 40% of their GDP. Its stands now at 250% of the GDP. Last year they boasted about their 2022 target of 5% growth in the economy. Last time I check they stood at 0.5% or somewhere in that area.

Now they lock down a whole fifth of their purchasing power and to top it off they decreased their interest rates again...

Also just a side note. China does not have the entire worlds industry, in whatever context that may mean. They are importing more and more food every year, because they cant feed their population anymore. The factories they have there were moved willingly from the Western manufacturing industries, because it is much cheaper to have your products made in your factory over in China, because of their cheap labour force. China treat most of their workers like slaves. Even children.

China gets most of its imports from the USA. That includes food, medical equipment, computer parts, factory parts like boiler rooms, medicine, chemicals.

In laymans terms, the West moved their factories over to China and then also supply them with all the necessities to run those factories too.

Lastly people can rant and rave in all the tabloids and hacker competitions you will find everywhere on the web about how superior China and Russia are in computer programming and software development.
Meanwhile back at the ranch, while they flex on the sideline, the Americans keep dominating the majority of the planet on software and platforms. Google, Android, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc.

Oh and also with the worlds leading VPN services like Express that can bypass China's big Firewall, which purpose is to completely sensor its data and prevent its citizens access to the outside world.

There is a reason you hardly ever come across Chinese people on dot com domains.

China is doing very well in terms of growth and development, but they are still far behind and currently in trouble.

Oh and regarding the protests... authorities wont do a single thing. Their goal is now to get rid of the COVID once and for all. They will lift lockdowns again when it calms down, but not because of the protests.

(Holy shit look at this post.... keep it? Delete it? Fck it. ENTER)
Unlucky [2472585]
Are you an absolutist? Can you not see that some things (like the things they’ve sunk a lot of political capital in) they might not want to change for fear of looking weak of foolish, but some things they may be happy to change.


AFAI remember he “created a panic” by posting into a group of his doctor friends to be aware of a new virus that shows SARS like properties. If you think that justifies in him being picked up by the police and retract his statement … well I couldn’t disagree more.


If I found the UK had done that I would be horrified.
ACCOUNT_CLOSED [2670493]
I agree with you, I dont think China's focus is even remotely to prevent the West from being correct. In fact I think they could not care less about the matter.

COVID deaths interfere with your productivity and tourism and ultimately your economy. That is their focus. The faster they can get rid of COVID, the faster they can go forward.

Go full lockdown, COVID gone, economy grows.

Its all about the money.
Sidgar [1828507]
Zero Covid is like Xi's adopted son. He has championed it and promoted it at full power. If it fails, it will be a huge political blow to Xi. If he could be wrong once, he could be wrong next time too. If he could be pressured to change his mind once, he could be forced next time as well. Of course, the CCP could declare it a resounding success and lift all restrictions tomorrow and you won't find any disagreement on Chinese television or internet.

Also, Lenin pulls the classic "you don't like China? you must love USA then" card which absolutely no one appreciates.
rhcp [760794]
Sincerely hope mrnoob and Lenin end up going to a communist country and end up in one of their prisons for life
mrnoob2 [2770824]
Yep I understand that, but they've changed on some pretty major issues in the past like yknow, allowing private companies and foreign ownership. Much bigger things than covid policy.

I don't know exactly what went on with Dr Li, I'm just hypothesising why China might have responded the way they did. I'd have to do actual research to find an answer, because it's much harder to find a Chinese perspective on these things than a western perspective without literally just going for state media. And this issue isn't something I care enough about to invest that effort - but with most things (not just communist stuff as you may assume) I prefer to get more info before coming to a strong opinion. I mean, obviously censoring the doctor if that is what happens, sounds bad. I just don't know if it /is/ bad without more info.
Unlucky [2472585]
Fair enough, that’s a good point. However I still think a large part will be the amount of face they lose by changing their direction. However I don’t think either of us can say either way as I suspect neither of us are high up officials in the CCP.




I get not wanting to comment until you have more info, but with your limited info you immediately jumped to the defence of the CCP in the last comment. Perhaps it’s like in the other thread where you said you immediatly take the position of Anti-NATO, because the mainstream narrative is pro-NATO. You shouldn’t just be pro-CCP in ever circumstance without any evidence.
mrnoob2 [2770824]
Yeah for sure, all we can really do is theorise or trust reports that will never be unbiased (in either direction).

Okay maybe I should've been clearer with what that second paragraph about the doctor - it was just a hypothetical alternative narrative. I think it's sometimes easy to hear stories like that and think it's cut and dry, where with a little critical thinking it usually isn't hard to come up with other explanations. As I said, it's not something I'm gonna research, but sometimes I just like to play devil's advocate. I'm hardly un-critical of China, but I'm not un-critical of loose arguments / reasoning either.
mrnoob2 [2770824]
Or any prison really. Ever heard of guantanamo bay? It's not like political prisoners are a uniquely communist thing.

Either way, I'm a communist, I'm not liable to end up imprisoned for ideological reasons lmao
RambleRocket [2200354]
honestly that kinda sounds like the same story all across the globe... america and the uk with its huge debt beyond ability to repay the interest on it anymore.... the housing and debt culture is infesting the west too, the property bubble happened here too. seems we all share the same problems.

perhaps one easy fix is for all nations to perhaps get together and untangle the debt webs.... see who owes what to who and exchange debts so they end up cancelling each other out, in the end if you do that then youd either find nobody owes anyone anymore or at least youd have cut alot of it down at least and gone some ways to control it and eliminated it entirely for some lucky countries that manage to swap it around completely. but ofcourse this is all a pipe dream, such cross national co-operation never happens especially not on that scale required for that.