Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Ghost stories

Started by Wallter [2822516] on in Paranormal.

20 replies · 183 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
34 / 100
Engagement score
56 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Skellington [2671472]
Really? I'd be interested in reading the documentation of the research that proves that.
Skellington [2671472]
It does with me. As long as I have not seen undisputable proof against the existence of ghosts I do not discard the option. But apart from that, if that is not how it works, the same can be said from the unfounded claim 'No such thing as ghosts.' That is not how it works either then.

Edit: typo
Catarchy [2632824]
my proof is that ghosts have never been seen or detected. any supposed sighting or detection has been, as of now, debunked. so there you have your proof. not that one was needed obviously, since ghosts are something that we have created, like gods and such fantasy things.

don't get me wrong though, I strongly believe that you are completely free to believe in what you like, at least until it doesn't interfere with other people in some way.
Skellington [2671472]
I agree on the last part of your post, which makes the first part yours to believe and mine to disagree with. I personally don't think that just because something has never been seen it is non-existent, which means I don’t believe that the fact something has never been seen is proof of that either. I take it you also don't believe in the fourth dimension then? Or singularities?
No-Focks-Given [2648593]
Dont need anyone to agree it's simple science,if you have an understanding of how light works (photons) an have a simple understanding of how the eye works,its easily ruled out.

Photons bounce off objects an hit your eyes,that's how you see things.
If someone says I saw a ghost,then they are saying that photons bounced off the ghost.
In which case it's not a ghost because what ever the ghost is made of it interacts with photons,and if it's in human form it interacts with the Higgs field,because the Higgs field is what gives matter structure an holds it together which means it's made of the common elements found in this universe,therefore I can conclusively say it's not a ghost an you either saw a real life person or you imagined it through your own fear of imaginary ghosts.
Skellington [2671472]
You do know science consists of theories that are accepted as facts, but cannot be proven indisputably because they are subject to change whenever knowledge changes, right?
No-Focks-Given [2648593]
Well no that's completely a misunderstanding of the word theory,in the theory gravity,the theory of evolution,the big bang theory.

If something big was discovered tomorrow that changed the way we looked at any theory,it would not mean that the theory would need to be torn up an redone,it would be a deeper understanding built within the theory we currently have,which is why the word theory is used.It accepts deeper understanding can be found,but the previous tests that were done would not give different results.
Skellington [2671472]
True, but that does not mean the previous tests were accurate to begin with. If those tests were based on a flawed theory, for instance when the knowledge we had about it wasn't complete or downright wrong, you would get the same results over and over again, but they would be false nevertheless. Also, finding a deeper understanding of a theory still does not prove ithe earier findings a fact or even right. All it proves is we found a different angle to look at it. This vicious circle is impossible to live by, so theories that have been explored sufficiently and are considered well-founded are accepted as facts, but in essence are not. That is a good thing though, it keeps life relatively simple and manageable. To me however that means I do not discard any option unless proven untrue. Translating that to the topic it means that when I experience something I cannot explain in any way with today's knowledge I accept it as unexplained rather than discarding options simply because they are deemed non-existent. If I ever run into an explanation, that's fine. Problem solved. If not, well, no problem. Accept it and move on.

But, we're hijacking the topic, so it's probably best to stop this discussion now.
qed [2089591]
As the sun began to rise, casting a pale light over the deserted town, I could feel the fear coursing through my veins. I had always thought that this place was safe, a haven from the darkness that lurked outside its borders. But I was wrong.
I had been walking for what felt like hours, trying to find my way out of this nightmare. The streets were empty, the houses silent. It was as if the entire town had been abandoned, swallowed up by the darkness that now consumed it.
But I wasn't alone. I could feel it watching me, its eyes piercing the shadows as it followed my every move. I didn't know what it was, only that it was something evil, something that wanted to harm me.
I tried to run, but my legs felt heavy and sluggish, as if I was wading through quicksand. I could hear its footsteps behind me, growing closer and closer with each passing second.
Just when I thought I couldn't run any further, I saw a glimmer of hope. A car was parked on the side of the road, its headlights shining brightly in the darkness. I made a beeline for it, yanking open the door and throwing myself inside.
But as I turned the key in the ignition, I heard a thud against the trunk. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the thing standing there, its eyes glowing with malice. I knew then that I would never escape. It was only a matter of time before it claimed me as its next victim.
Skellington [2671472]
No, but you already know that, so why this question? Anyway, my theory has nothing to do with believing or not, it has to do with accepting or denying existence. Quite the difference, as by my theory I require proof whereas believing does not.

But for argument's sake: by my theory I do not disregard any option unless undisputedly proven to be untrue. That goes the other way around too. Santa has neither been disproved nor proved, so I neither accept nor deny his existence. And why should I even? The fact he makes a huge amount of children, and grownups for that matter, happy is all I care about. Sometimes it's not worth it to know about or focus on certain things. To me, Santa is one of those things. I see no reason to break everything down into fact or fake, so regardless whether he exists or not, I accept his merry influence on the world as a fact. There's nothing wrong with simply letting good things live on.

Apart from that, also knowledge you possess, science does not produce facts, just theories. So it's actually a good thing you called your own post a theory as it proves nothing...

And, again, we have to stop hijacking this topic, you know how to reach me if you care to discuss some more. Or start your own topic, I'll happily engage in the the discussion there.

Edit:typo
No-Focks-Given [2648593]
So theoretically were not hijacking this post,since were only theoretically typing on a device that was made from important theoretical research made by theoretical measurements that might theoretically be completely wrong,its all theoretical.who knows its theoretically impossible to say.Maybe it's better we just say the power of the our lord an saviour dave made this happen.
Skellington [2671472]
Well, let's end this one-way, pointless 'discussion' with your theoretical mumbo-jumbo then. Moving on.