Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Forum search engine issue

Started by Kugu [2373623] on in Bugs & Issues.

3 replies · 55 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
0
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
30 / 100
Story score
30 / 100
Engagement score
37 / 100
Kugu [2373623]
Issue: The search engine returns false results when searching for exact numbers if I use "by":

Steps to reproduce:
1. Go to the forum main page
2. Search for a number by a person, e.g. by:bogie =16309772 or by:bogie 16309772


Actual result:
It returns all posts from the user in "by"

Expected result:
Return only the posts, written by the user, that contains the exact number
Among others we're looking for this post: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=17&t=16309774&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=23052793

Note:
- Searching for just the number returns the correct post:
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=search&q=16309772&f=0&y=0

Mentions: Exciting Christmas

CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
I think this just may be a quirk with Sphinx search engine that we may have live with, it hasn't come up often enough to warrant debugging this.

I will pass this along to Joe for a comment.

Thanks!
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
We're a bit limited here in terms of what we can do, I don't think anyone on our team has any experience with sphinx, and since this isn't a critical issue I'm inclined to leave it how it is rather than potentially just causing more issues.

One day we'll update the search engine to a more modern variant.

Thanks.