15 replies · 209 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:16 / 16 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
16
Discussion span
→
People posting
12
Likes on archived posts
25
Authority score
28 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100
Most-liked replies
reila[2764234]
· 3 likes · From my understanding it seems like you are trying to even out the playing field in a sense by handicapping the higher powered players on either side. I have DEFINITELY had times where I felt a little frustrated during wars …
During the war I'v noticed that a few strongest players can make a big difference, and sometimes even single-handedly turn a course of war. It is possible because one can nowadays have a bunch of energy through items and other benefits (strongest players are always richest too) which make a few almost untouchables. I mean that should rightly be so, but it can make war one man (or a few) show. I see war more as a "team sport" where activity should influence outcome as much as players strength, and yes we have group attacks, but sometimes thats not even close what it gets. So to get to the point, my suggestion is that during war one can be exhausted after many fights, at least in some period. I didnt calculate well, but something like
- after 10 attacks in last hour -1% stats - -||- 20 -||- -||- -2% stats - ... and so on and so forth
This would mean that war should be lead by best many not few players, and would give more chance for those who rely on activity and are not as strong as veterans. Farther more it would make war more "a must" for as many members as possible and at the end should be more fun for everyone :-)
Thank you for reading and I would love to hear others thougts.
I was thinking more of group play, strategy and tactics during the war, and real life simulation, then to "punish" strong players. I maybe ref. strong players, but it is all who is going to be influenced.
If I can imagine it would even be worse for weaker players, when they have to group attack stronger, and lose N% each after M attacks.
I think only of that it could bring more strategy and tactics in waring, thas all.
From my understanding it seems like you are trying to even out the playing field in a sense by handicapping the higher powered players on either side. I have DEFINITELY had times where I felt a little frustrated during wars when all of the opposing side is evenly matched or below me and we just get tanked by the only one Over Powered guy in the faction. Then I notice they'll only be in the faction for ~4 days prior and I instantly understand it was hired help! XD So... while I do see where your ideas may be going I also think it would be extensively more difficult to determine "fairness" without altering warring factions stats a considerable amount. I also want to note that while most factions push steady participation, we can't force them to do so. For example, a highly active faction with noticably steady hitters could have made special arrangements to hold space for a member that will be inactive for an agreed set of time or general low activity. Should this be marked and factored in mathematically as well? What if their heavy hitter is the inactive one for the time being or just away for the day? Then there's of course time zones, factions that make schedules to make sure there's hitters on at all time to hold chain, understanding of E conservation and the understanding that there is no way to guage how long war will last so people who have fully stacked may have a period where they just need to dump all their E and smash their hits as quickly as possible! There are also the members like me who are pretty mid tier but have that competitive side that drives me to do everything in my power to fully hit to my potential regardless of expense just to put my name near the top of that war chart/summary to prove that strength isn't the only factor that can put our faction ahead. Should I be assigned negatives because of my hit speed regardless of my average stats? And then, will there be some sort of way to determine which players get docked? Will the equation consider their stats collectively or individually? Remember, the highest statted player is already docked in a way by giving really lowly respect gain for hitting lower level members. So while they may be hitting more they could be messing their faction up by not assigning appropriate respect targets/farming small fries. Less respect points drives the total points up painfully slow putting the opposing faction to a speed advantage if that makes sense? So.....many... factors... Timing is super important so I feel like you are on the right track in that area. But perhaps singling out certain players because of their high stats seems... so incredibly ....Un-Torn-ly! That's the point of the game for a majority of the players. They wanna see their work pay off. Will the "after x amount of hits per hour" fluctuate per faction size? If evenly distributed that way, what if it comes to a fraction?(can't make .33 of a hit) I keep thinking of reasons this could work but I am instantly met with the dread of this creating a domino effect of situationally considerable contradictions. And believe me, I really do appreciate the desire to create fairness here due to the very obvious reasons. Final rant, I feel it would wreck the Mercenary play style straight to the ground and take away a lil bit of the magic alliances have created with being able to socialize members from their sister factions. Bleh. So many thoughts here. Thank you! It shall be pondered! XD
as a relatively new player, yes its frustrating to be so far away from being able to hold my own against top players. But I find because of this it promotes Top Players to be more engaged with helping us out.
Take away the hard work & dedication they have put in over the years (not to mention how it inspires us to do the same) and players will lose intrest!
This is Torn (a crime game) we are supposed to work our way to the top. Challenge Accepted!
Thank you for answering, that's exactly where I aimed to go, to try to make war as fair as possible and spark some ideas, I maybe put wrong title for the thread, and now see how that affected some people (Chuck_Norris yes I disliked you comment because it is sarcastic, not constructive, and I do take critics, and admit I was not though it much as I should, and came to something just to spark some ideas, but you don't have to laugh to ideas). War is going on between to alike factions, so if we presume all players are same, would it then this "cooling" effect have sence? I dont know, someone have to seat down and do the math as Reila mentions. And I would loveto hav at disposal as much tactics and strategies in war as possible to make it interesting. Thank you all on comments I appreciate it and see people care for game :-)
I forgot to mention one more aspect I was thinking about, and that is you own yard, when our faction is stronger, then a few people who are fastest with their mouse get attack people, and majority have to wait, some rule like this one wil turn that a bit, where one have to think to give shot to others before gets on self negative effect of attacking. And I didnt ment to lower that much stats, for instance one xanax take away 25% or something, 25% after "my math and suggestion" would be reach after 250 hits, which is 7500E and all in one hour as I suggested, thats imposoble, så it would take just couple of % of stats, but maybe, just maybe make difference when sides are identical. Again ths title should be "Attack cooling" may bad as I mention just one aspect of it :-(
If we’re being honest, it seems like a pointless change, unless a war is thrown or already decided before hand, people ain’t making that many hits per hour. adding all of this to potentially take away 1-2% at most seems useless, and if you were to do it during the entire war rather than a time period of 1 hour like you said, then that would be absolute bullshit.
whilst I agree with your reasoning behind, this ain’t the solution I think bud.