19 replies · 1.64k views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:20 / 20 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
20
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
62
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
3
Authority score
66 / 100
Historical score
30 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100
Most-liked replies
CRLF[2095076]
· 24 likes · [image: gyazo.com] It seems to imply you will have less of an impact on your stats during cooldown, but this is not true. It means IF you had high addiction (from repeated drug usage and not rehab, for example), you …
CRLF[2095076]
· 7 likes · Thank you. Yes, you will still be addicted and if you continue to take drugs without rehabbing, the addiction will grow. But the EFFECTS of the addiction will be less. If it gets bad enough, you can still be kicked …
Fermion[2691036]Officer
· 4 likes · Fac addiction mitigation branch reduces battlestat negative effects. Personal addiction mitigation branch doesn't.
I assumed that if you had -2% battle stats, and you put one merit in, you'd have -0% battle stats?
"This upgrade will reduce the negative effects that addiction causes by 2%. Addiction will have less of an impact on your battle stats, employee effectiveness, and education / gym access."
It seems to imply you will have less of an impact on your stats during cooldown, but this is not true.
It means IF you had high addiction (from repeated drug usage and not rehab, for example), you would normally see reduced battlestats even when you are not in drug cooldown.
This merits buff does not remove addiction, it only lessens the effects of addiction. So you can carry a higher rate of addiction without losing you education class, getting in trouble with your company director, or seeing a hit to your stats.
To prove it does NOT affect the reduction while under the effects of Xanax , here is my stats without taking a xanax (7 merits on addiction mitigation):
As always you’ve got the best forum posts in town. Now just to make sure I’m not getting this wrong, the brain icon will still appear later with this perk than without, right? I think I’m not alone in the fact that I rehab every time I see the brain say -3% or so, this doesn’t mean less addition points per Xanax but it DOES mean less often having to fly to Switzerland to rehab?
Yes, you will still be addicted and if you continue to take drugs without rehabbing, the addiction will grow. But the EFFECTS of the addiction will be less.
If it gets bad enough, you can still be kicked from education, etc, but you'd have to get a higher addiction amount for the same effects.
Remember, that reduction by itself is small. Even ten merits only makes it 20% less, though stacked with a faction reduction as well, you should be able to go longer before needing to rehab.
Personally, I would see this helping after a xanax OD. When you OD on xanax, your addiction goes up by about 4 xanax at once. So if you already had some addiction thinking you had time to rehab, and THEN you OD'ed, your addiction would bump up all at once, perhaps higher than you'd like.
The addiction effects mitigation means you wouldn't abruptly get booted from education or get glass-doored at the gym, for example.
I've got the brain icon -1%, so that's the part I was trying to reduce. Had -1% (with a few merits), bought the next level, and still was on -1% battle stats. Since then I've taken more drugs, but I thought the brain icon would vanish by investing merits in it.
Much appreciated. Annoyed that I have 7/10 in addiction mitigation as I thought it meant much less having to go to Switzerland so I could go to more profitable flight locations instead. But it’s my own fault for not doing the math or asking a data nerd (compliment) like you before putting the merits in.
Actually, both will reduce the effects on battlestats. It says so right in the merit description:
Addiction will have less of an impact on your battle stats, employee effectiveness, and education / gym access.
However, faction mitigation is often stronger (up to 30%) so it may seem that it reduces the effects when the merits (up to 20%) don't. But it's just the impact of a greater reduction. The effects of the two are cumulative (up to 50%).
Also, the wiki says that exactly, and even compares the faction special to the merit buff (I only just looked it up there now).
I'm guessing a 2% increase in mitigation reduction wasn't enough to change it.
From the wiki:
The amount of Addiction required to reach each level of negative passive modifier is increased. This will be particularly noticed for higher levels - for example an 8% brain icon will be a 4% brain icon with max Mitigation.
Also, maybe you are seeing 1% with a few merits applied, but it would have been 2% without mitigation. It's hard to say.
It's also not clear if adding merits will immediately reduce existing addiction or if it will only slow the growth of addiction in the future.
Oh, so it's a max 50% reduction on the brain (addiction mitigation) with faction perks + merit (and 30% side effects). So the 2% per merit rather than 'removing' 2% of the stats debuff, instead 'removes' 2% of the total addiction that's used in the calculation. Massively different from what I'd hoped, guess I'm refunding said merits.
From the helpful mizadil, > it reduces the negative effects of addiction. Not the side effects of drugs themselves (unlike the faction perk.)
So in a way yes, it reduces effect on battlestats. But that's the addiction effect (-1%, -2% etc), not the effect of drugs. Sorry for not being clear earlier. I was talking about the drugs xD
Yes, the stat reduction due to taking a drug (xanax) and the stat reduction due to being addicted are two different things. I spelled that out in my first reply.
If you look under your list of buffs, for faction buffs, you will see these two buffs are listed separately (and also a third one for reducing the chance of an overdose).
I always thought that addiction mitigation worked like cutting a x% of the addiction points that a drug gives you for example Xanax give you 35 addiction points and I have 4% addiction mitigation then a Xanax gives me 33 addiction points
But if you add a merit, does it reduce addiction points already applied or only act on you accruing fewer points in the future?
I think it's the latter. Also, it's 4% reduction, not 4 points reduction. So if you should be gaining 35 points and you have a 4% reduction, that's 1.4 points reduced. So you would gain 33.6 points instead of 35 points.
No, it just means that you can go a bit longer between flying for rehab - you still have just as many addiction points to remove while there.
(For example, if you had 15 rehabs worth of addiction - it would still cost 15 rehabs to clear it all - you just wouldn't have as much of a penalty to your employee efficiency or battle stats when it got that high as someone without any of them)
That's a kinda personal question.. personally, i think they're a waste. Especially for younger players. They don't change rehab bills, just delay them a bit. I don't have issues travelling to Swiss for rehab, so thats of no use
The single percent battlestat reduction doesn't matter to me. if they reduced drug negative debuff, they'd be worth a lot more.. they're probably more important for old players who rack up a lot of addiction (and don't have to care about education and all)