Hey all, I saw a few other language learning threads on the hobbies board and was really hoping someone would make a thread during chinese new year but it looks like I will have to be the one. the next paragraph will just be my story on why i started learning, what ive learned, and how ignorant i was to Chinese culture, language, and its people. So you can skip that if you wanna, or maybe learn something yourself.
[image: i.ibb.co]
most of my schools were pretty white, and I never really was the type to try and meet new people. In school I remember being taught that there were 2 Chinese languages, Cantonese and Mandarin. I'm pretty sure this is still what most the western world believes, and it cannot be further from the truth. It wasnt until early 2022 did i learn that in fact there were actually over 100 different Chinese dialects, but all of them use either simplified or traditional characters. Even though someone across the country may speak a totally different dialect they could still communicate with the written language. Anyways, march 2022 I started a new job at a local store and most of my coworkers were chinese, including the owner of the store. About a week into working there i meet his parents who speak no english except for 'hello, goodbye, and thank you', to this day i still do not know their real names, we only refer to them as auntie,uncle (a yi, shu shu) So it was at this point that i decided i needed to learn Chinese to be able to communicate with this cute old chinese couple who worked everyday at this humble little pizza shop.
I started with Duolingo, which was a good starting platform but i felt really restricted so I really started looking for something that could teach me faster. watching lots of youtube. and then i found out about Anki decks from Xiaoma, which is really great for cramming knowledge, some sort of fancy science based algorithm for flash cards. not sure about the shit but honestly i felt like was learning 10 new characters a day and retaining that information. I was studying an hour a day up until halloween and i have just been unable to get back in the habit to take time to study everyday, blaming on the ADHD, blame it on the kids, blame it on work or the crippling depression but I still try and learn something everyday from my coworkers.
kinda just wanted to make this post to see if anyone else is learning the language and has any resources they would like to share. and also partly to show our Chinese community that we arent all against you, I hope the right people can find this thread and it doesnt get derailed into some hatemongering shit show.
no tldr AMA
edit: just reformatting and some typos
[image: i.ibb.co]
most of my schools were pretty white, and I never really was the type to try and meet new people. In school I remember being taught that there were 2 Chinese languages, Cantonese and Mandarin. I'm pretty sure this is still what most the western world believes, and it cannot be further from the truth. It wasnt until early 2022 did i learn that in fact there were actually over 100 different Chinese dialects, but all of them use either simplified or traditional characters. Even though someone across the country may speak a totally different dialect they could still communicate with the written language. Anyways, march 2022 I started a new job at a local store and most of my coworkers were chinese, including the owner of the store. About a week into working there i meet his parents who speak no english except for 'hello, goodbye, and thank you', to this day i still do not know their real names, we only refer to them as auntie,uncle (a yi, shu shu) So it was at this point that i decided i needed to learn Chinese to be able to communicate with this cute old chinese couple who worked everyday at this humble little pizza shop.
I started with Duolingo, which was a good starting platform but i felt really restricted so I really started looking for something that could teach me faster. watching lots of youtube. and then i found out about Anki decks from Xiaoma, which is really great for cramming knowledge, some sort of fancy science based algorithm for flash cards. not sure about the shit but honestly i felt like was learning 10 new characters a day and retaining that information. I was studying an hour a day up until halloween and i have just been unable to get back in the habit to take time to study everyday, blaming on the ADHD, blame it on the kids, blame it on work or the crippling depression but I still try and learn something everyday from my coworkers.
kinda just wanted to make this post to see if anyone else is learning the language and has any resources they would like to share. and also partly to show our Chinese community that we arent all against you, I hope the right people can find this thread and it doesnt get derailed into some hatemongering shit show.
no tldr AMA
edit: just reformatting and some typos