I am an avid gardener. I worked at a nursery and owned my own landscaping business for 20 years. Anyone else interested in gardening?
I've had people ask for specific advice and it's fun to try to puzzle out the answers. BUT, growing zones are all different and it's hard to know specifics of the area in which someone lives without seeing for yourself.
My best advice regardless of where you live is to find a locally owned garden center or nursery near you. The owners and their employees will know exactly what to plant where and they will know what varieties do best in your zone. Do yourself a favor and bypass Walmart and Lowe's etc. for this information. Find a mom and pop business close to your home.
I am! More into mycology, but any info you could spare would be most welcome:)
Well tell me about mycology?
I like to work with shade loving plants the best. Japanese maples, hostas and ferns
passion and profession. Im a master urban farmer (worthless but sounds cool lol)
Im alot more into the permaculture type side of things but ive done alot of the more typical landscaping work too
pet project is probably bringing indigenous agricultural practices more into the mainstream
Im not personally super knowledgeable about mycology (ony so many hrs in the day) but i have serveral friends who've grown for restuarants and stuff so Ive absorbed a bit
Ok, I should have googled it lol. I know what it is now. My niece was doing that and making good money supplying local restaurants for a while.
What you're doing sounds fascinating though. I would like to hear more about it.
I just moved into an apartment for the first time in my life. It's winter right now but I'm already feeling the sting of not being able to plan for spring. I've got good windows and a few house plants. But this just isn't going to be enough come springtime.
What would you recommend growing in a 1/2 acre lot? I was thinking about lavender but then I saw it takes 3 years to get a harvest
I love gardening. Specifically heirloom growing. I live in Northern Michigan. Our growing season isn't very long but it's pretty amazing the abundance of food we can grow. I have only about 5 acres but I have a large garden and a Rimol High Tunnel. It's 30'X72'. It was about a 12k investment. I plan to buy some raised garden beds for my Mom who just moved in and keep them closer to the house. I figured it would be easier for her to access and we can grow salad greens and some essential herbs in them.
I started growing tomatoes with mixed results two years ago. My 6 year old grandson loves eating them so he is going to start helping me this year.
id love to have a garden i think plants are really cool but I don't have the patience sadly
I garden from time to time, recently purchased a birdies garden bed to hopefully grow tomatoes in this summer. Currently in a cold spell though.
I just moved into an apartment for the first time in my life and with spring coming on, I'm going through major dirty hands and knees withdrawal.
Growing your own food is very rewarding. Children love it. I always tried to grow what they liked best. Cherry tomatoes were always a favorite.
My boss at the nursery would sell a few cotton plants every year. Kids like them, they're fun to watch the cotton bole pop open.
Northern states can grow things in full sun that I have to plant in deep shade here in Missouri. I love hostas.
I don't garden but my mum does. There's always stuff waiting for us when we visit. Apples, herbs, cucumbers, salad, tomatoes - it amazes me what her little back garden produces. Always tastes incredible too.
I garden as a casual hobby. I usually only pay attention to plants that fend off insects (lavender, lemon grass, marigold, etc.) I however specialize in carnivorous plants (venus flytraps, pitcher plants, etc). I live in a place that has alot of mosquitos and other annoying bugs, so it's good to have things that get rid of them, instead of chemicals and buzzing lights.
I've often wished that I had paid more attention to my grandmothers when I was a child. They both tried to teach me but I wasn't much interested then. It's amazing what I do remember though.
I just started growing hydroponic cannabis a few weeks ago. So much fun. My problem is that the plants are not growing consistently. Every few days they pause before sprouting a little more.
Can any common variety of hydro solution be used or does cannabis thrive based on a specific ratio? Any guidance would be much appreciated ??
PS - PH levels are fine and Tue plants look very healthy
I don't know anything about hydroponics. I wish I did. Maybe someone else can offer some guidance on this. I'll ask a couple of people that I know and see what I can find out.
It's not unusual for a plant to gather strength before putting on new growth. That could account for your inconsistency in growth.
My windows are very large and south facing so I'm going to try an indoor salad planter. Plus some herbs of course.
Not having a garden is killing me lol. Potatoes and onions should have already been in the ground. Roses pruned. Top dressing with compost and mulch.
I love the way the soil smells in the spring.
Ok, this is a coincidence. Gardening to date has been mowing the lawn, but my partner came home with plans today.
We now have a small patch growing potatoes, a few pots with tomatoes, and wildflower seeds scattered around the edge.
I've received my instructions about care so we'll see how it goes!
Gerard that's awesome!
I like wild flowers. It's about as much as I can handle - throw a load of seeds, collect their seeds , strim them down in autumn. Also good for the bees!
Tomatoes in the greenhouse, mainly as Child B loves them.
I like it enough to water things, but it's my wife who picks the flowers, cares for them etc. Lol