Exactly. Don't see how it's completely necessary to raise funds to help noobs.
Just send them guides, make them know about torn in a detailed perspective and if they grew interest, they will find a way, if not they will go away.
More than that don't involve someone's name that passed away and resting in peace, if they have not expressly told you to do so.. No matter what your intention is just don't do it.
If your intention is good, let's say we agree on it. Then Simply sending Baldr's guide and advising little here and there is enough. No need to bullshitt about fund raising and all that will most of the time turns into scam.
Among every other point those above had made, it does seem as though the only real reason you insist on using the name is because the sympathy is what drives donations.
"Despite me never meeting her though, I do have a strong suspicion that she would not feel happy with the degree of anger and vitriol that seems to be caused by this discussion."
So not only do you exploit her name to hustle money, you feel the need to invoke her hypothetical preferences to prop up a weak talking point. A drop of self awareness would do you wonders.
Seriously, they are helping people skip a few weeks of gameplay in a browser game...not solving homelessness. The self importance in the opening post is bizarre.
I would not keep their name in it - you can keep the spirit of the message alive, and if people ask / inquire speak about your time with Lady, but people can have it look as a negative from anyone that does something bad in spite of the board and then the Fallen Player is besmirched for no reason.
It's a good reason to have a Board, so that people are kept transparent, but overall (personally as well) I would not want my name attached to a fund of any sorts after my death.
It's a hard topic to talk about, and I think her memory can live on without expressly saying 'we are doing this for our friend' every time distinctly. Anything negative will be associated with them (scams and other bad shit) so I don't think that's how you'd want yourself or your friend / family member remembered after their passing as well.
Again, just my 2 cents, but I think it's important to bring up in context.
Why keep her name in it.. the person who founded it had their name tainted by the rmt. you didn't know her. She spent the time she had in the end having a blast. A goal of hers was to become a super strong account and leave that legacy, something she shared with ydobona.. This just seems insincere to me. If you didn't use her name no one would have an issue with this.
I missed the original post where Jano started foundation but I did go back and read that forum and in it someone posted that Jano was the one who knew Lady_Roisin (Rosheen) the best out of those involved in the foundation.
I am questioning the validity of the statement. I am trying to figure out where the contact came from... not as a member of either of the factions Lady_Ro was part of ... well I guess I am assuming that based on Markland being vehemently against it and Jano not being part of my faction... I think there were only the two factions... also, why, if Jano was such a friend, did Jano never bother to post even ONCE in LAdy_Ro's "Yet Another Goodbye Thread" thread. Not when she posted it... when she gave an update, and not after her husband posted to notify us that she had passed... why would Jano be so wholeheartedly into setting up a foundation that neither Lady_Ro nor her husband appeared to be interested in, but not feel compelled to make an acknowledgment of mourning either before or after Lady_Ro's death in that thread? I interacted with her briefly when she joined Phat_Buds, she did not stay long before she moved on to Quidnumks. Yet her post was moving enough for me to reply... why if a true friend... who claims to be able to get in contact with her husband, even not feel a compulsion to at least acknowledge the friendship and sorrow felt at the loss in the goodbye thread? It's weird and off putting to me.
I wholeheartedly stand behind Markland as a faction mate of Lady_Ro's (Still a faction mate even after her passing) and his stance that this "foundation" should not be using her name. the idea behind it might have been with good intent but if someone who we know legitimately had not only a passing knowledge but a sincere friendship with is telling you that this is not something she nor her husband would desire, doesn't that take precedence over someone who claims to have a friendship but no way to prove it and more importantly has already illustrated more than once a willingness to go against rules?
It seems way more important to honor Lady_Ro in ways she actually expressed prior to her death than to force something on her that quite possibly would offend her. who are the people involved doing it for? themselves or Lady_Ro? and if it is for Lady_Ro...why not honor her wishes rather than make a spectacle it doesn't appear she would want?
It's nice that you want to do something but you can do things without making her the spectacle...
I have some suggestions for new names for the foundation, since the name appears to be the most contentious point. Here are some names I came up with instead of feeding my cats:
GenShinigami's Karma Memorial Foundation
Jano's (oh no my) RMT Income Memorial Foundation
All Those Noobs Who Quit Once They Stopped Getting Handouts and Learned You Have to Work to Make Money in Torn Memorial Foundation
OG Cheesus Memorial Foundation
The Original Sprit of The Lady_Roisin Memorial Foundation Memorial Foundation
Feel free to choose any, no need to give me any credit. Consider it my contribution to the foundation.
as someone who thought the path to success in Torn was searching the dump until i joined my faction i agree. Because I wasn't just given stuff and was instead given advice I feel that I know more about Torn and could be more self sustaining. And because what I have I got myself (except the armor thanks BNC) i am more invested in this game and will keep playing.
Im one of the former board members of LRMF, im also a former grants recipient.
We are discussing the name of the foundation if we gonna change it and what we are gonna change it to.
We dont just give free stuff to anyone, we have a few requirements that we want our grant recipients to meet. Not gonna go into detail what requirements here. The requirements is so we hopefully can find new and dedicated players. Ofc there is always a risk a player will stop playing or take a long break. But we have a kind of time limit on how long we help the newbies to get started.
We in the board are happy to discuss and answer any questions you might have, just reach out to us.
I sincerely hope you all have come to the conclusion to remove Roisin's name from the foundation. Regardless of how people feel about whatever it is the foundation does, this kind of bad publicity will leave a bad taste.
As many pointed out, I would also like to add that this effort seems futile. Having such an organization, structure and everything for such a simple thing as helping newbies seems like killing a rat with a missile.
I personally helped new players by giving them 30M or so when I feel they are really interested. I gave free loans up to 50M. It's not really that much, considering how much we can earn in one war. Now, why do I need a committee for something I can clearly see? People asking questions, learning, improving - if you cant see it, they aren't worth it.
When I was 3 days old and joined a faction, I got a full set of combat armor, a weapon and free temps. I got lvl 100 players willing to teach me. What more do I need to reach lvl 15 and start earning myself? Not just that - I will always remember my first faction - Axiom; and I got friends. I didnt go through any test nor did I learn anything about the game by then. Still I got all that help. Does this foundation give you all that?
IRL, you give funds to charity because they are much better than you at identifying and helping those in need. Here in this case? Nope. Definitely not.
My opinion - start a faction just for new players - stock up the armory - do ranked wars - pay per attack. Let them earn money by themselves. Teach them to fish, show them the spot and give them the rod. Don't fish for them.
Don't want to give too much self-identifying RL info, but I have about 10 years worth of experience with nonprofits and foundations etc. It's common for individuals to create a trust or scholarship in memory of someone who has passed, but let's take a look at how this would have played out in the real world:
create "nonprofit" to "honor" someone that none of yall know
people who knew the deceased person say it wasn't what she would have wanted, but yall continue to do so because you're "helping"
the creator of the fund gets (let's say) arrested and charged with embezzling, maybe not money from the fund itself but still a money-related white collar crime
"debating" whether or not to change the name, while also distancing self from the creator who's hanging out in jail
all this mess, while the poor woman has still so recently passed and this "foundation" isn't even like six weeks old????
I can't say many people would be inspired to donate money to that cause, because like it or not, this will always have these stains on it. That's how foundations in the real world would go too if this had happened.
Letting this go, or at the bare minimum taking off Lady_Ro's name, as a good faith effort would do a lot of good here. So many IRL foundations become ego projects when their leaders don't take accountability for missteps or listen to community feedback (especially if you're wanting money from that same community). I think coming up with this board or whatever might sound nice, but tbh this is a text based browser game and it ain't that serious lol.
As mentioned many times before me, please seriously consider changing the name of your foundation.
As for how your current foundation operates, you guys have a really nice objective. My suggestion would be talking with Kelsie. She's been running a newbie starter pack giveaway for 3 years (link), see if there's anything you can do to help her with that initiative. Maybe as she sends the new players a parcel, somebody reaches out to the new player to offer guidance with tutorials/advice. Or you use the donations you've received to help provide items for Kelsie's starter packs.
Grants? Foundation? Board Members? Organization? Former Grants Recipient? Lol what? What's with all this polished talk about helping out A BUNCH OF NEW PLAYERS in a f**king game ! It's a game. Players are SUPPOSED to start from ZERO.
Why DO YOU want to find new and dedicated players lol ? Is'nt that Ched's job ? And you guys running some bullshit huddle group and you guys call it some noble cause as if you all are curing cancer irl! IDK if you guys want to feel important around here or you guys want to do this to make money or something, I can absolutely confirm that you or your board don't give a rat's ass about the well-being of any noob lol. And I don't see why you should care so much about a game avatar, who just started.
It won't take long before this gets translated into some irl thing or donation. Just pay your respects to any deceased player and just move on with your life. Idk why no one can see through this cheap ass drama talk. Its just pure bs.