Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Gender

Started by cursedbastard [2919455] on in General Non-related.

53 replies · 676 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 54 / 54 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
54
Discussion span
→
Authority score
22 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
52 / 100
Engagement score
73 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

cursedbastard [2919455]
Alright... I kinda think gender is nothing... you know that people are the sole species where the masculine isn't flamboyant and attractive? Sounds weird,cause lions,peacocks,rhinos,moose,the deer family,male birds,male fish
WhackedMaki [2587660]
Living a life of transphobic bliss must be nice. Being able to just ignore facts and science as you see fit to live a life of ignorance would be so easy.
cursedbastard [2919455]
Gender is a pure human phenomenon... other species
don't make a big deal with what you feel as.... for them
mating is mating,they just are...
8hane [2875215]
So you're saying we refer to the male as "the one with the penis?"

I'm pretty sure animals differentiate between male and female, don't they?
Yazi [2139270]
That aspect is gender identity, which is incredibly different to your biological gender.
We will not discuss the former. The latter is much simpler.
Tanarra [2649236]
I am a 'live and let live' type of person. And I don't believe I am 'phobic' or 'unconsciously biased', but I certainly am confused. It seems like society has really overcomplicated matters by fragmenting themselves with all these labels, affiliated groups, infinite personal identities. Can someone be trans AND gender fluid? If so, I agree with what cursed stated at the beginning. Why even define it then? Just be.

The latest I've heard is about 'transabled' individuals. Those who identify as having a handicap or disability, though their biological body, and scientific fact, proves otherwise. Some doctors are even in support of mutilation to help these individuals fully realize their psychological identity. Is that safe? Is that where we are in society? Will 'trans-species' be next?

Please know I'm not mocking or judging anyone with my comments. I'm generally confused by it all, and yes, concerned for those who undergo such drastic measures to alter their natural selves to become something different.

Maybe this is why Stephen Hawking warned that 'humanity as we know it will no longer exist by 2050'. Will we be so augmented and re-engineered that we are no longer just naturally human?

I look forward to all genuine, considerate and thoughtful replies. Thank you.
cursedbastard [2919455]
I'm waiting for the ASD center to test me ( year long waiting list) trans species is a severe mental illness
that has several infamous patients ( ancient British king) I don't align with human life,yet I don't feel ' trans species' I want to be cybernetic to understand myself better
Midnitemiles [915081]
Because my experience is my own, I relate as being a female .I was born a female. I feel female. My little sis is Gay. She was pretty obviously this way from a very young age. She speaks like a man, acts like on and kinda looks like one. I fully believe people should be able to be what they feel they are, Love who they want. Biology is beyond female and male. There are variations. The 140 million babies born last years at least 280,000 were born outside the parameters of Male with penis, female with vagina. This is part of the natural world. If we have this many variations it's not at all far fetched to believe people are capable of also feeling a different gender that their external parts, chromosomes, internal parts show. Just because many people don't understand doesn't mean they are right. In fact the commitment to a simple binary view crates a false template for the battle of the sexes that has created a narrative that manifests as false education and perpetuates a denigration of woman's rights.

Science points to a more accurate understanding, we must recognize the true diversity of the human experience and move past the uneducated assumptions of people that are small mined and follow religious dogmas.
Rodrick [1402437]
It gets complicated.
Gender as a term has different definitions but is generally seen as a social construct rather than a physical attribute. So a case could be made that people are free to choose their gender, but personally I would think that they are really choosing their own "gender identity".

Even when it comes to sex, it can get complicated.
Most people are born male or female but there are some babies born with indeterminate sexual characteristics or ambiguous genitalia. This can happen in around 1 in 1500 to 1 in 2000 births, so it is rare but not totally unknown. Then there is also quite wide variation in the sexes as well, where you can have a wide range from physically very masculine men to physically very effeminate men and physically very feminine women to physically very masculine women and that may not have an impact on the individual's sexuality either. Like I said, it gets complicated.
Skellington [2671472]
Yes, it can get complicated, but in my opinion it only gets as complicated as you allow it to be. You can dive as deep in the physics, the anatomy or the mental aspects as you like, potentially making things incomprehensibly complex. That is a choice. As far as I'm concerned it's quite simple: all people may identify as whatever they want, without that having any consequences regarding how I see them. I see everyone as a human being, it's their behavior that determines my behavior towards them, not their skin color, race, gender, gender identity, sexual preference or any other preference.
Rodrick [1402437]
I mostly agree with what you are saying, but there is the small matter of attraction. I don't think we really get to choose who we are attracted to. It is more ingrained in us, based upon a variety of stimulus and positive and negative encounters over our entire lives that all become a part of who we are and help to decide who we feel most attracted to and who we feel no attraction to at all. Again, it can be very complicated to explore how attraction works as it is different for each and every one of us. It can also be very similar for quite a few of us, which is why we can look at some people and know that they are "very attractive" or look at someone else and decide that they are "not very attractive at all". This would be what could be described as a societal norms and values. These norms and values can vary from place to place and also over time.

I am only bringing this up because how we feel about someone in regard to attraction will influence how we will behave towards them and how we perceive and regard their actions or behavior. It would only be natural (I guess) to be more forgiving of someone who we perceive as attractive over someone that we perceive as un-attractive. So, in the end we will all discriminate in some ways. It may be that we don't consciously discriminate against anyone or for anyone but really I think it would be very hard to avoid it because so much of our sense of attraction is unconscious and therefore difficult to control. I don't know if it is possible to see everyone as the same and treat everyone the same. If we are decent human beings then we will try very hard to make an effort to do that at a conscious level but there will always be a part of us that is making judgements of how we feel about others and how we will relate to them pretty much all the time. We just have to try to do our best I guess.
Skellington [2671472]
You are right, attraction does play a part in how we behave towards others. And it probably partly determines our tendency to forgive and accept. Still, that does not mean you don't or shouldn't treat everyone as human beings regardless their color, race, gender, preference AND attractiveness.
Apathy [2728692]
you know that people are the sole species where the masculine isn't flamboyant and attractive?


i don't think so.. my father's the dandy and vain one while my mother's meh..