Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Happy Juneteenth!!

Started by windyrockbell [2805009] on in General Discussion.

65 replies · 1.92k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 66 / 66 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Second2none [1615950]
It's clearly a mark for celebration, of course, I support that.

At the same time, it should be reiterated that slaves were not something invented in the US (to blame), or only for an African descendant as it's often presented. It is horrible and gruesome In any way, shape, or form.

The term slave has its origins in the word "slav". The slavs, who inhabited a large part of Eastern Europe, were taken as slaves by the Muslims of Spain during the ninth century AD. Those had quite paler skin tones, thus indicating it was not contingent on melatonin level.

During the raids, the Vikings often captured and enslaved militarily weaker peoples they encountered, but took the most slaves in raids of the British Isles, and Slavs in Eastern Europe. This practice lasted from the 6th through 11th centuries until formally abolished in 1335.

Clearly, those Scandinavians were ahead of the times, shutting it down before it was mainstream. ))
Alas, it didn't last forever.

Over time and in different configurations, it was acceptable practice to use the citizens as "slaves" making the poor earn their keep via poor prisons, at the time there were still slaves in the US, here in Europe common people were often "owned" by the Master or Lord of the farm they worked, etc. (Serfdom: bound to live and work on the farm they were born. depending on region, they had to work it off till they were 40y.o. or buy themself free, like a Freeman.) We are talking about people born and raised in the same country, not bought and sold as slaves, but in very similar conditions. It was shut down in 1788 here, I would lot have liked living in either of those scenarios. I do not expect reparations.

The past times were not at all fun at all times, and should not be measured by our current standards.
Yet we should try to focus on stopping the current slavery globally, and trafficking!
Fifty million people were living in modern slavery in 2021, according to the latest Global Estimates of Modern Slavery!
That represents an increase of 10 million since a previous estimate five years ago.
(source ILO)

We can't change the past, let's change the present and the future, and pick important topics to debate and solve!
QueenoftheRoses [2556388]
you do realize Juneteenth is really only an american thing right? Like no one is saying that the US invented it. But it is celebrating when the last slaves in the US were freed. (this isnt meant to be mean im just wondering if you knew)
Jubjub82180 [2427687]
I would like to know why it is called Juneteenth. This is a serious question. But I don't think it will get an honest answer. Juneteenth is not a word. June 19th is two words..... To me it just means white people should celebrate black people. And we will make up dates and reasons why. If someone can seriously tell me why it is called that instead of June 19th, I would love to hear it.
Dalzadar [2242727]
There is also this incredible thing called the internet. It is similar to another incredible thing called a library.

Go educate yourself.
coffeefilter [433065]
Interesting to note, the population of enslaved people in 1865 exceeded the population of colonists in 1776. So Juneteenth celebrates a greater number of Americans gaining independence.
Jubjub82180 [2427687]
Sooo. Basically no explanation as to why it is called that other than calling me ignorant of history and how words become words. All I hear is "Celebrate it you racist!" If you can't answer my question, it doesn't prove my ignorance. It proves yours. And I actually have tried to look it up. The internet doesn't give an answer either. It just regurgitates the same shit about what Juneteenth means, But f**k it. Happy Juneteenth.
coffeefilter [433065]
Why is it goodbye? Why is it Halloween? Oh no, how will I ever discover word origins?

late 16th century: contraction of God be with you!, with good substituted on the pattern of phrases such as good morning.

late 18th century: contraction of All Hallow Even.

I'm so ignorant, I had to read a dictionary to find out.
Jubjub82180 [2427687]
And while we celebrate Juneteenth. Let us not forget that white people did not enslave black people from Africa for the most part. One African tribe lost to another African tribe and the winners enslaved the losers. They were slaves before a white man ever bought them. This wasn't always the case of course. I'm not championing slavery by any means. But let's stop lying about history. Perhaps they should look to their own culture which we are now forced to celebrate, as to the reason most of them were slaves in the first place.
Jubjub82180 [2427687]
I already knew how those words became words without having to read a dictionary. Maybe I'm more educated than you think. My whole point, is that the origin of the word Juneteenth is not talked about ANYWHERE. I'm sure y'all will make up something though that sounds good for the cause..
coffeefilter [433065]
Let us not forget, it was not BP that caused the Gulf Oil Spill, but the dinosaurs getting themselves killed and turned into a petroleum deposit.
Jubjub82180 [2427687]
Not a good analogy bro. The dinosaurs didn't get themselves killed. Most scientific theories blame a natural disaster of some sort. It's not the same as blacks enslaving blacks and then blaming white people for enslaving them. I'm done with this. I have to work tomorrow. Good night and happy Juneteenth everyone.
coffeefilter [433065]
Not educated enough to know a dictionary publisher?

Many of them have websites - similar to how one would access torn.

Etymology
blend of June and nineteenth
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Juneteenth
Dzus [2681825]
No, I think what they're saying is that when you are on the internet (the greatest collection of information in human history), asking a question that could be answered by utilizing that very same internet, it becomes an ironic sort of willful ignorance. It's like standing on a dictionary in the middle of Times Square asking people what the definition of words are.

There used to be a "let me google that for you" website but sadly it no longer works