Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)

Started by M_Mike [1707527] Tester on in Bugs & Issues.

280 replies · 10.3k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 281 / 281 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
Are there any plans to sort out these issues? It would be nice to know if problems such as these are being addressed or simply ignored.

Also wondering if casino will ever be accessible, currently only the lotto works with screen readers.
Miggy63 [2189861]
Rehab there no longer an addiction icon and addiction and rehab doesn't register immediately. like it used to. It now doesn't show until next reset
lolinmypants [911200]
WAI - Red/Green colorblindness (affects 12% of men).

The new crimes 2.0 heatmap is awful. The red/green difference is extremely difficult to distinguish.

Suggestions:
- a setting to replace the green with blue
- or, a more limited palette with just 3 colors (darker red -> light grey -> bright green)

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
Question:

I have not yet switched to crimes 2.0, so I am not able to test things out. Very curious how much of the information screen reader users like myself will be able to gather in crimes 2.0.

Reading the information out there, I'm wondering about the stars and the bars which give information about unique outcomes, success chance, and individual crime experience, etc.

Anyone tested this out who uses screen reader exclusively? (meaning without any visual cues from a monitor and keyboard only, no mouse).
Eichiy [2557357]
I have a faction member who uses a screen reader exclusively and we are literally having to give her the information on which crimes to do - she can't see the success chance, can't read the color change to see when will be a better time to do the crimes. Much of the information is in pop ups, which I believe screen readers can't access.
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
Did something change with the formatting on This Page ?

Previously, when navigating the page with headings, the titles of each post would be read out. Now it only says the first letter of the post.

When I try to read the titles by word, line, or item, it just spells out each letter.
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
Patch list

A list of all updates released between the dates of 20/06/2023 and 27/06/2023.

- [WAI] Fixed span being inserted between each character of forum search results

----------

I don't understand.

Before this 'fix' I was able to have the thread titles read out to me on the page linked in my previous post.

Now, I cannot.

It actually seems like you added span between each character, at least that's how my screen reader is reacting.
anto_capone [2176544]
Small idea, would it be something easy and helpful to have all the icons that appear in top left actually be valid links to 'somewhere'?

Even some of them could be very useful, like brain icon addiction. For someone without sight, they cannot see the hover over text. Perhaps have a new page that just shows current addiction? Click on the brain icon and it goes to a new page that shows addiction. People can bookmark that one page, if they like.

It could be simple or complex but at least it would give access to important information that is currently very difficult to obtain by people that are visually impaired.

Thanks for your consideration! =)
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
Something like that could be very useful.

The icons would need to be properly named/labeled first however.

Currently, tabbing through the icons list only reads out 'link', so we have no way of knowing which icon is which.

It's just a long list of 'link, link, link, etc'.
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
While attacking or being attacked, you'll now experience brief but noticeable background effects alerting you to incoming hits and misses made against you.

--------

One more way for non-sighted players to be unable to recieve information that all other players recieve readily.

Any chance of having such 'background changes' make a sound of some sort?
Ducky [2746278]
Also been directed to post here re a suggestion forum post I made.

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=4&t=16344456&b=0&a=0

Help the colourblind with Graffiti Crime. Make it more obvious for us, my original forum post goes into further detail
TrandBirdBorn [2271053]
Any sort of extra flashing lights or blinking in another window really triggers my ADHD, and so the new strobe effect when under attack has made it really hard to play, especially in wartime. Ched has said that he either leaves it or removes it, with no toggle, but could you please try to convince him otherwise? It makes it really hard for neurodivergent people as I know someone with autism who has similar problems with flashing effects such as this.
Raiyvin [1585789]
using windows 10 and nvda screenreader.
I am unable to buy or sell in the stock market now and that is with chrome, firefox and also edge.
Could you please get this fixed whatever changes you made has definitly screwed up the stock market.
thank's Raiyvin
Constantine [3045220]
Colorblind here (mostly red) Spray paint selection in Graffiti Crime
Doesn't give an indicator for which can im selecting. Would be cool if the item name was attached to selecting the can somehow so I know if I have orange/red or Purple/Blue selected.
Blackbird [2082276]
Hi there, I use a lot of zoom, enhancing and magnifying tools to play torn which often doesn't mesh well and leaves aspects of the game inaccessible. A lot of it is due to my settings on my end, I know, but the item change yesterday makes me unable to see values in my inventory from torns side. I can still in the item market since they aren't enhanced there and I can use other magnifying tools to read it, but unsure if the layout is going to be changed there as well.

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Usually which parts get displayed bigger is quite good, like the example below, only magnifying the values that are useful to see with a quick glance without having to use tools or pushing into a new line when necessary:

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Would it be possible to achieve something similar for the Value and Circulation on the items by only enhancing the numbers or undo it triggering at all to not push the numbers into the ether and be able to pick it up with a magnifying tool still?


Edit: Thank you so much
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
I'm also unable to buy/sell stocks using NVDA.

One workaround that I have found is to switch over to Windows Narrator when buying/selling stocks.

This is highly frustrating to do, especially since you are often trying to do these transactions quickly.
OSD [2662883]
All the items on city map have disappeared.

Please tell me I'm not alone as I have not collected since Dec 31st?
zDannyGee [1722542]
Same happened to me, was picking up everything under 1m value and leaving anything over, got up to around 20m total value, and now it’s gone :(
tyrion1 [2048951]
Hello good morning for everyone. I don't know if this is the most appropriate thread but I think so. I am currently experiencing two problems. The first one is that of purchases in the bazaars. Use Jaws but I already tried NVDA and with both screen readers, it is impossible to buy anything in a bazaar. I can buy only objects that sell in the items market, not in the bazaars. This is a problem because they are usually more expensive objects and because if you need to buy more than one thing, (for example, 100 simple viruses) you have to do one by one what can be quite late, tedious and annoying. The other problem I have, I don't know if it is because of accessibility. I am the leader of a faction and recently some new players have joined. I have tried to send them a message pribiated with the Newsletter option but only a text field with the title appears. A field for the message of the message does not appear, so I can only send a message with title but with the body of the empty message. Use torn tools, so I don't know if any of both bugs can be caused by this extension. I do not know how to disable it temporarily to see if it is the problem of the script or the game in question and so far I have not removed it, because the only way I know to do this is uninstalling Torn Tools, then looking for the extension on the Internet and reinstalling it again. I really appreciate your support. Thank you for reading.
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
Hi,

I believe they are working on the issue with buying from bazaars. It does not work for me either using NVDA or Windows Narrator on any browser.

Hopefully they will have a solution soon, until then we are sadly limited to buying straight from the item market.

The sending mail issue is tricky, but it can be done.

I've heard from others that they have the most success when using Fire Fox to send mail.

Personally, I use Microsoft Edge/Chrome.

Here is how I do it:

After entering the subject line, tab twice and switch to focus mode.

You'll be in the text field to enter the body of the mail.

After you finish the body of the mail, tab again to get to the send button.

Torn Tools should not have an effect on these particular issues. At least, it does not fore me, and I've not heard anyone else mentioning it.

Even so, it would be a good idea to know how to disable Torn Tools in the future just in case.

Depending on your browser/OS, you should be able to pull up a menu while on a web page that has several options such as new tab, new window, save page etc.

For me on pc, it is alt + f.

In that menu, you should find 'extensions' as an option. Select it and a new tab should open with a list of your installed extensions.

Browse through the list of installed extensions, find the one you want to disable and toggle between enable/disable using the enter key.

Hope this helps :)