45 replies · 1.05k views · thread synced · 9 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:46 / 46 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
46
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
30 / 100
Story score
59 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Seems to happen quite frequently to me and always happens around the start of our ranked wars. Nothing ever comes of it as I'm too technology illiterate to even cheat if I wanted to. I dont use bots, scripts or any of the other stuff. I use tornpda just to find items in the city but I know lots of others that use it as well. This seriously messes with one's game play as can take crucial seconds to login and we all know seconds can matter in a fight.
Just wondering if anyone can give me any insight on this. Maybe it's happened to you in the past and you figured out how to resolve it. Any help is grateful thanks.
Started happening to me again today after a lull of a couple of weeks. Never happened before the cloud move. Like you I don’t use bots or scripts. Very annoying.
I got this twice before I was able to fly due to me hovering the market and refreshing the page too much. Nothing to worry about just do the captcha when it comes up should stop after one day. If you are refreshing alot in a short period of time it sets the captcha off is my understanding but could be wrong
I dont feel like I refresh an excessive amount. Been happening for about 6 months now and happens every couple weeks. Sometimes it last for a week or 2 as well and just really annoying. I've read everything under the captcha and have messaged a couple staff members and no answers. No reasoning. Maybe something I'm doing is triggering it...be nice to know so I can stop or they can fix the problem whatever it is
I got hit recently too, but I think I know why. PC and Torntools is my preferred way to play. Except bazaar management I prefer Torn PDA. Was sitting on flight page on PC then managed bazaar on phone. All that movement was done a little to quick for ol bot hunter apparently.
HK-47[2241904] · #9
Use a auth app, problem solved.
Tarzan[2753285] · #10
Well, we aren't allowed to actually know why we are getting captcha nightmare. So focusing on an assumption (and we all know how assumptions go) that you are not actually breaking any rules, I'll present a list of things I believe have resulted in my various captcha hells. It's one of the few games that penalizes you for playing too much. I have gotten captcha hell (and have it right now) upon doing the following activities:
1) Playing too much. Especially if I leave browser open while flying. As per a convo with bogie, I was flagged because almost all of my activity was flying for several days in November. Flying is a dangerous thing to do when you're a noob and have no other income. To avoid this, set your timer like usual, CLOSE YOUR BROWSER or even better, go play another game that doesn't penalize you for playing while you wait for your timer to count down.
2) Also in line with playing too much is actually participating in events that are competitive. Participation in most events like dog tags requires constant self hosping or hit and run tactics to avoid losing your tags. Any time your character is engaged in 24 hour activity which requires you to lose sleep, the fancy AI steps in and says "hey, that guy couldn't have set a timer for when he was gonna get out of the hosp, so it's probably a bot" and puts you in captcha hell.
3) Pressing refresh too much. Kinda along with number 1, many activities in torn require you fight people with scripts who do things faster than you. Example, Bailing people from Jail. MOST people I know who chased this merit received a captcha hell for a week or more. Pressing F5 or using torntools refresh button right where the bail button is conveniently placed, is apparently bad. So when getting this merit, if you do it rapidly, you get caught by the fancy AI geniuses and captcha helled.
4) Doing anything that requires rapid clicking to give you corporal tunnel syndrome like smashing poker buttons to get that nightmare 44 hour merit will result in captcha hell. Equally dangerous are other casino activities like slots or lotto tickets. Be wary of captcha hell from fast clicky fingers. Train your fingers to be much slower and methodical. Your lover will appreciate your new found patience as will the torn AI.
5) Buying losses. If you buy losses, and you aren't using an agency to make the arrangements for you (at a 50% markup woohoo), you will need to be paying your losers to lose when they smash against you. A quick payment means a happy loser. You're also generating a large number of merits in a short period of time. Merits that are by design supposed to take years to get. In essence, you are being penalized for paying your way to difficult merits / HOF status by being punished with captcha hell. Shame on you for using your money in a way that suits you. Instead, invest it in the market so that they can make changes to the market after you're holding a heavy and valueless bag. Congratulations.
6) (Theory) - Being on the forum too much because your life is boring while on vacation and it's so hot outside.
7) Being a RL traveler! You thought traveling in torn was fun? So you decided to get on an airplane and realize that many countries are close to each other like Thailand, indonesia, Philippines, Japan, China, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Guam, Saipan, Australia and you decide hey, I want to keep playing torn while I am doing these neato activities in each country.
Or maybe you're in the Philippines and you live in a stank ass shack near the airport in Manila and decide to improve your life for a bit by getting an AirBNB wihch has high speed internet near Alabang Town Center. Posh af. You login to Torn to do your training, and THANK GOD the maximum time allowed is 5 hours between trains instead of 8 hours because NO ONE likes to get a full 8 hours of sleep. But I digress. You decide to do your training, then you're like. Phhffff Mall of Asia is a much better location with hotter girls to look at, so I'm gonna change airbnb tomorrow to a new one and besides, there are new unexplainable stains on my bed sheets at the old airbnb, so you switch and login to Torn at the new location. The AI doesn't seem to like this. ESPECIALLY if you're logging into Torn from every single cafe that you stop at on the way because it's hot outside. Did I mention how hot it is? It's pretty hot. Now add to this that your American or European cell provider has agreements with international cell towers and keeps you on a Chicago or London IP on your phone, so you're averaging 6-7 different IP addresses per day in multiple countries or cities around the world... Yeah this seems to anger the AI gods. I don't blame them. I'd be angry too if I was stuck in the cloud and not able to drink sweet sweet watermelon juice. But AI, you don't have to do laundry or eat bad food, so you should count your blessings. I would say you don't need to defecate also, but you do that enough to your player base that this point is actually not accurate.
Capcha or Captcha hell sucks dicks. It ruins ranked war play. It ruins any competitive PVP play and generally makes the game suck. I will say that the captcha screen that says we are among the 0.01% or whatever arbitrary number they used is probably bullshit since the majority of torn players no longer are actually torn players. I'd say any very active player in torn is at great risk at any given moment of getting captcha. The system they used has way too many false positives. Way too annoying and I'm totally ok with it because I'd rather be subjected to captcha inconvenience for a while than a bunch of Chinese botters just absolutely trashing this game. We've all seen it in other games a million times. So if they have their shit turned up to maximum autism reasoning, then so be it. Keep on trucking. Don't break the rules, and let the AI figure him/herself out. You can do it WALL-E.
Nope. Never had this. Last time I had any captchas was the day they basically mass removed them for real people =_=
Tarzan[2753285] · #12
I don't really like downvoting posts but I did here.
This isn't really a useful statement. The Q&A are largely ambiguous if you have read them.
"SOMETHING" you are doing is triggering our highly advanced thing that says you're a super human.
Something. Playing Pressing F5 Logging in from multiple devices etc.
SOMETHING.
Don't worry this will go away on it's own unless this happens often, then it will last forever.
Yes, I'm super stoked to read that every time.
Hey something that you don't know and only we know you are doing is making us unhappy. We can't tell you what it is, but since you're doing the thing we don't like, you will get this temporary captcha which may become permanent if we decide. Everything about the synopsis if the Q&A is useless information.
Stop doing something and this won't happen again. Or maybe it will. It's a f**kin mystery mate.
If they just told people how it works, people will find ways to bypass it, hence its a mystery.
Its really cool to know that there’s only a few people complaining about this, and all these people are doing something which is not regular xD
Just play like a human being and you’ll see the difference.
peace
EDIT: as stated in the post you found “unuseful”, if you’re being flagged wrongly message bogie and you will be put out of the flag list. That is how I got myself out in under 2h. But if youre doing something wrong, don’t expect them to just tell you what you’re doing wrong. You gotta pinpoint that yourself.
I'm in captcha hell right now, too. I assume it's one of two things. I'm camping in an RV and traveling across the united states. We did this last year too, and I got captcha'd then as well. I assume it's because I'm regularly signing in from a different IP, via campground wifi. I also decided this was an excellent time to do the bail merit, and as Tarzan pointed out, it's probably another reason I got flagged. So, FML I guess. I got the merit though, so yay.
FreePalestine[2122602] · #18
Got it during war when using phone, had a tab for hosp and a tab for wall, guess I used ED too quickly and joined the wall too quickly after the fact