Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Need HELP with Java

Started by Per5eus [2675693] on in Technology.

6 replies · 93 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
2
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
26 / 100
Engagement score
45 / 100

Most-liked replies

Per5eus [2675693]
So I downloaded the latest version (version 1.8.0_371, I think) of Java on my Windows 10 computer. I tried running the javac command in cmd, but it kept saying:

'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

Okay...I go online and search for methods to solve this. Apparently, my PATH variable might be incorrectly set. After changing the PATH, I tried again to no avail. I looked inside the bin folder (inside the Java folder), and turns out that the javac file doesn't even exist! No wonder nothing happened after I ran the javac command.

I've tried reinstalling Java, but every time I do so, I can't find the javac file inside bin. It's like it never gets downloaded each time! How so?

Just out of curiosity, is the javac file a .jar file?


Also, I'm a beginner at Java. Well, I know how to print lines, do for-loops, basic arithmetic, use variables and arrays. But I've never tried installing Java myself. I understand that after writing a .java file, I need to compile it into a .class file, then try to run it. I also understand that the javac is supposed to help you compile .class files, but now I encounter this problem. Great.
Per5eus [2675693]
My Path (User variable) is set to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre-1.8\bin, which is the bin file I was talking about in the previous post. I couldn't find the javac file in THAT bin.

Here is a image to show that javac doesn't exist in the bin folder: https://prnt.sc/o6f5n6ij2s8c

No, javacpl is not javac. javacpl is Java Control Panel, apparently. I'm pretty sure there SHOULD be a javac file. I don't know if it's an application (.exe) or a Jar (.jar) file.
CasimiroDegroot [2870441]
Obviously I don't know a lot of what's going on here, but that was my first guess, too. It's an easy mistake to make - you go download Java, try and compile it, and realize you just have the runtime environment (stuff to run Java programs) and not the development kit (stuff to make Java programs).
Per5eus [2675693]
Thank you! Um, uh, do I need an Oracle account or something like that to download JDK? I can't find where I can download JDK. Every time I go to the download site (Orcale), the download links appear for a split second and then disappears. I wonder if it's my region that blocks me from downloading Java..

But I successfully downloaded JRE... What about JDK?