Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

!Raid Ceased! -fix

Started by Harlot [2915346] on in Suggestions.

6 replies · 62 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
1
Authority score
25 / 100
Historical score
16 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
41 / 100
Harlot [2915346]
Let me start by saying I am totally okay with raids being started against my new faction as it is part of the game, and I’m not discouraged by having to face stronger opponents. Again it’s part of the game, I get it.

Though there is a fundamental issue with the raid system.


The scenario/problem:
A stronger more equipped faction started a raid against us, two in fact. Both who had a significantly larger amount of respect and veteran players (higher level and time played) . We started off by them getting the jump on us but we’re able to turn both situations around and started winning. They then both took the same route of making a push to get ahead then called it off. All sounds good but this leads to a problem…

we had to burn meds, drugs, energy, and waste time fighting back. Had we not had fought back they would have just kept going because they could get an easy win but it not being an easy win they did the minimal effort to get ahead and withdraw leaving us to bear the cost of defending it was basically a no win situation for us, we should have been awarded something for the defend or they lost something for the failure.

the solution to prevent factions from taking advantage of the current system:
There should be a steep penalty for ceasing a raid something scaleable like 10% of your total respect. I suggest a percentage because if it’s a flat amount then larger factions will still not feel any pain for this type of practice. Maybe a secondary option of a mutual cease fire that causes no loss as long as both factions agree to a cease fire. This also encourages diplomacy when in wars.


This is important because it might discourage most (not me) from continuing to play and want to add to the game with new factions. I’ve seen this type of thing happen in other games where the stronger guilds/clans/teams get a strangle hold on a server and it starts to empty because of that then there is nobody left to play. It’s a long game effect.


If I am missing something here with this current process and system please fill me in but this seems to be a problem worth fixing.
Maritime [2508811]
So you realize that raids are designed to be a wholly destructive form of warring, right? That’s the way it works, the stronger you are as a faction, the easier it becomes to beat up those weaker than you. No one likes getting raided, but the attacking faction shouldn’t have a penalty for raiding..?

Also, a mutual cease fire does exist in the form of trading a peace treaty…
Harlot [2915346]
I’m not asking for a penalty for raiding I’m asking for a penalty for no follow through. As I expressed above I’m okay with the raiding itself. It’s the abusing the system to negate any consequences for making poor decisions.
JackKelly [2271177]
I don't really see any abuse of the system. They attacked, you fought them off, so they retreated. They suffered the same costs you did, if not more and you all got some valuable warring experience.

You can always raid them and then you get to decide when it ends.
Harlot [2915346]
The cost was exponentially more for us as the cost for drugs is easily affordable when your years into the game vs. months. The risk and cost is minimal for them and heavy for the lower target.

I honestly figured this wouldn’t be popular for the people who have already been playing for years. If this dose not seem popular I won’t be angry. As a new very active person who likes to interact with the larger community of games I’m just providing feedback as I’m going through the game.
JackKelly [2271177]
I feel ya. Thats really why most people, myself included, urge newer players to avoid running factions. It can be an incredible money sink. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done about that. Regardless your suggestion would only make things worse for the people in your situation.

Most of your members can't fly, whereas most of the members in the other two can. So had it continued, it would've been more expensive and greater respect loss for you. I've seen factions in the past have to resort to kicking all of their members, so the aggressor would not have any more targets, before they agreed to call it off.
AshleyT [1432316]
All this would do is cause these older, bigger factions to just follow through and completely destroy a faction if they can no longer back out.

The entire Raid system is all about "I don't like those guys, I want to hurt them"

Adding a penalty to calling it off would mean that factions who like to raid will raid until destruction, because that's the only way a raid is followed through to completion without calling it off. Many of the bigger factions have literal years of built up respect, and they'd likely refuse to give up that penalty even if it actually costs them more over time.