Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Help and advice

Started by badunk-adunk [2937096] on in Questions & Answers.

14 replies · 532 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
13
Likes on archived posts
52
Authority score
45 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
64 / 100

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

cavpaca [2274053] ×1 badunk-adunk [2937096] ×1

badunk-adunk [2937096]
I purchased some donator packs to contribute towards the running of Torn, I decided to sell one of these donator packs. The person who bought it from me then immediately mugged me and took a significant portion of money back. They are also significantly further on in the game than myself, catching up is going to take years before I stand a chance of at least attempting to mug it back.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is there a way in which money made from spending real life money can be protected? Or at the very least be automatically put in to a vault/savings?

If everyone who paid to support Torn lost the benefits of that investment (i.e. the money from the sale of a donator box), stopped contributing due to people theiving it, there wouldn't be a platform for everyone to enjoy??
Xauchino [2821117]
You got buy-mugged, that means the person bought the item from you and immediately mugged you, gaining around 10% of your money on hand. To prevent this you either sell your items to trusted traders with good reputation or you have to self hospitalize and THEN open your bazaar. If you want to be 100% safe, you can sell donator packs to pawn shop, which you can find on the city map.

After you finish selling the items, you should put the money away. For example you can put them in stocks, storing them safely or put them in your faction vault if you trust your faction.
pizzaCutter [1973762]
There is no way to auto-protect your money. Unfortunately, this is a very common practice, especially with high ticket items about 10 mil or so.

You can do a few things:
  • Find a trusted trader: Medium Risk
This is great as you can build up some good relationships, but they tend to want to be a little under-market value. One trader I have worked with before was Cavpaca. Might be worth reaching out to them. But there are tons of reviews on the Trading forum.
  • Pay really close attention: High Risk
Pay really close attention and as soon as you see the money show up place it in your vault... You have to be super fast and it doesn't always work if there is lag.
  • Sell them at the Pawn Shop in the city: Lowest Risk
Nobody knows it when you sell them so you are secure in that sense... But it will be well under market value.


There is no such thing as a guarantee of safety after your first 14 days in Torn. So manage your risk and your money. If you want to learn more about protecting your money check out Baldrs guide. And the Tutorials and Guide Forum has a big list of the best guides and there is a section on trading so check that out as well to learn more about money storage options after a trade.

Mentions: cavpaca [2274053] · Baldr's Basic Advice

0xHemlock [2662912]
As Baldr's gate Guide implies, selling is not passive in this game. Selling is an involved activity and cannot be "idled" to success. I'm sorry you got buymugged, but following the above advise can reduce that risk in the future. If you're at work and can't actively monitor a sale, wait until you're off work.
GassyTerps [1444838]
If you self hosp before accepting the trade there is no risk so long as you deposit into your faction. Mugs only occur from user error as there are many ways to avoid it.
Callogs [2939831]
Hi. Just looking for a little advice. I was a newbie a few levels ago when I got a High Speed Drive in Searching For Cash; I sold it almost immediately. I have 3 question; I have the money to buy one now, but a) Is it worthwhile to do so? b) Should I rather wait a while for the price to drop more? or c) Will I be lucky enough to find a second one somewhere in one of the star crimes or?
kryptonray [2803473]
badunk-adunk says:
I thought this was supposed to be an enjoyable game for all - behaviour like that discourages people to spend their real money on donator packs and subscriptions when someone will simply steal it. I hope you don't do this to everyone who pays, they won't have any money to keep the platform going otherwise

Interesting guy, so bad he did not come online anymore

Mentions: badunk-adunk [2937096]