Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

AI Generated Graphics

Started by KingABz [1564719] on in Graphics.

81 replies · 1.57k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 82 / 82 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

KingABz [1564719]
As cl3ric0l mentioned, this is mainly aimed at people going on generators, typing the request in, choose a result that generated and adding text on top with minimal changes.

A lot of talk about the real world- but this is a game. And graphics world inside it has been a beautiful movie almost from 06 to now. So much history. So much talent. Everyone has their own story of what they were to what they are now. And the vast majority of artists and art lovers will say blatant AI rips takes away from it- not improve it.

We used to say the same thing about GIMP artists ripping a background off DE and putting their name on it, calling it art. This is just an evolved version of it- no talent needed, no quality time spent, hardly any personal touch...not art
Jax [2952358]
Yes I do graphics.
Yes some of them include AI renders, vectors, lightning, effects, backgrounds.
Yes some of them are fully created by AI and have text on top.
Yes some of them don't include any AI.
Yes some of them look better than others..

My point is - isn't our goal to please the customer?

Isn't our goal to deliver a finished product that will put a smile on the customer's face no matter if it's AI, non-AI, hand-drawn, digital artwork, or just a render with bunch of effects around?

And if the customer is fine with using AI, I genuinely don't see a problem.

There are many artists currently in this Torn Graphics Forum, some get more clients than others, some are cheaper than others, but after all everyone has their style, their portfolio and the clients pick based off of that.

And yes I did admit to have used AI for certain orders and yes I have also declined many orders that would 100% AI generated because I didn't find that entertaining to deliver at some point - but so what?
KingABz [1564719]
My main reason for doing this thread was clear- AI art looks great, it's made by a robot of course its flawless. So that means every Tom Dickhead and Harry can do them. So if full on AI rips with text on top is flooded into the forums there's literally no room for learner artists anymore. Why would anyone pay cheap prices for average art when they can pay even less for AI shit? I'll just get a couple of those till I can afford that cl3ricol piece.

I remember when I began my stuff was trash, but I tried very very hard, and still got customers. I was charging 50k a piece when the going rate was about 300k. Now to think back, if there was 10 AI generated threads in trading post selling for 50k a pop, no one would even look at my stuff.

AI will kill off the next generation of artists, probably already has to an extent. Spoke to one fella who said he created a thread during the AI pandemic and didn't get a single order, everyone just assumed AI art was the go to option, and he never tried to improve because it was a lost cause to him.

Sure you can say "well then just get better" but no one really makes 100s of graphics for pure fun. You're taking orders and improving improving improving. When you don't get any orders you give up, and that's another future amazing artist in the grave before they even began.

I repeat, when I say AI artists I mean those that spend 5 minutes typing into a generator to create their work, put text on top and flaunt it like it's some kind of original masterpiece.
Jax [2952358]
You are right. It's true people would pick the cheap AI option rather than an average piece from someone who's learning and costs the same/less/more.

But I guess then it all comes to the individual's desire to improve, get out of the AI loophole, implement new concepts, learn new concepts, practice them etc.

I myself started doing very clean basic illustration designs, then slowly began doing more complex ones, some animations here and there, then I did a few so called "GFX" signatures, everything is a learning curve but it's all up to the individuals desire to grow.
KingABz [1564719]
Yo you know how many people have told me the graphics forum is f*ckin POPPIN right now? I'm there back of the train shoveling coal into the engine till the wheels fall off.

Death to AI, long live real art. If this concludes with us all being replaced by robots you know I'm going down swinging
Hawk [2080065]
Very fair.

It may a bit of a forgery issue if they are profiting from another's work
- I know this is Torn ...just rolling with the conflict
KingABz [1564719]
Everyone seeing the inhumane levels of quality coming out of the graphics forum recently?

If I don't bump one of my threads in 24 hours it goes to the next page!

Just want to tell all new artists don't be scared to bump your thread. There's a LOT of quality right now, so don't stress if your thread drops down- keep bumping, keep posting your work and keep improving!!!
MuddBaal [2512285]
In totality, I reject the influence of A.I. or any other such generative technology as a means of producing any form of "art" because the mere ability to imagine does not satisfy the requirements of being an artist; no, rather what is required is the human being to bring forth such works by their own efforts through the use of tools and skill.

The tool is not to be praised, but instead the human being who attempts to subdue the tool to his own ends. In the case of A.I., the tool is not unlike Dr. Frankenstein who attempted to recreate life by using various parts of deceased human bodies. The living artists whose work has meaning and purpose, see their creative efforts torn limb from limb and stitched back together into familiar forms devoid of the original intention or humanity that spurred their creation.

I, and many other human beings who reject A.I., recognize the true goal of such technologies is a means to remove purpose and usefulness from human beings in favor of a centralized repository of the seeds of human creativity which can then be scattered at the behest of corporate gatekeepers for profit to the exclusion of all involved in their origin. I wish to be a part of and include others in the movement toward a parallel means of expression in an increasingly totalitarian world that seeks to silence all who oppose its tenets, and you should too.
EarthFireMonkey [2620167]
I am mainly salty about Ai for three reasons:
1/ because it always looks effortlessly better than anything I could draw.
2/ people claiming they 'created' it, or in fact claiming it involves ANY skill or artistic vision whatsoever. It doesn't. You are not an artist, you are picking an image from a selection. It is like saying shopping for cars at the dealership makes you a ferrari engineer.
3/ because it always looks effortlessly better than anything I could draw.
KingABz [1564719]
<< And that's coming from one of the most decorated artists in the city.

No one else is going to gatekeep this forum for us, there's no one else in real power that's helping with quality control. It's down to the artists to flush out the frauds trying to profit off the scene you created with your hours and hours and hours of work.

Support all newcomers that are actually trying. Support each others threads. Bump those threads and get the frauds off the front page.

And EFM- you could draw better than these frauds with both eyes closed, effortlessly!!!!
alfuerza [2320158]
why are you doubling down after the reception you got on your thread lol? you got so close to the point when describing how you might feel if AI was used in music the way it does in art, but then ended up concluding that it doesn't matter?
IxAnTxI [784387]
I agree with everything on this post, I have no problem with AI as such, but it's definitely a hard one trying to promote yourself with so much AI going about, it's a grind a very long grind as people think AI looks better but a lot of love go into my graphics they may not be the best but they will never out do AI and its annoying
alfuerza [2320158]
I personally support the use of AI in generating renders to use within a larger piece - much more like a tool in an arsenal rather than a ghostwriter you’re taking credit for