Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Happy World Mental Health day!

Started by Chick [2589433] Committee on in General Discussion.

58 replies · 2.66k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 59 / 59 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
59
Discussion span
→
Authority score
64 / 100
Historical score
47 / 100
Story score
65 / 100
Engagement score
79 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Chick [2589433] Committee Committee
Today is World Mental Health day and I think this is a very important topic to talk about.

For those who don't know me, I'm Chick. I'm a member of committee, runner of racing tournaments and creater of terrible jokes. I've also been suffering from Depression for as long as I can remember. This may surprise some people as I am usually a very upbeat and positive person online. But depression isn't always crying and being sad all the time. I'm someone who frequently sleeps for 10+ hours a night. I can have days where I simply have no energy to do anything. A simple task like cooking a meal is impossible for me at times. It's a struggle. I've found that connecting to other Torn players has made a huge positive difference to my mental health, but I am still far from being "cured". (I would like to give a massive shout out to all my Torn friends, in particular the members of Medic!! You are all amazing)

I know that mental health is complicated and it can't be cured by with a simple "cheer up and get a bit of fresh air". However, there are things you can do to make a struggling persons life a little easier. Check up on the members of your faction regularly. Think twice before you send that nasty message to someone who's slighted you.

In recognition of World Mental Health day, I ask for everyone who is reading this to reach out to a friend (either in-game or irl). Send them a gift, ask them how they are, let them know that you're there for them. This small gesture could make a big difference.

If you're struggling, please know that you are not alone. There are plenty of people on Torn (including myself) who are happy to talk. There are also many services and resources online for support. Remember, in an emergency you should contact a health professional asap.

I'm going to end this post with a link to a little video I found online: Click here for video.

Thank you for reading <3
2824277 [2824277]
Happy World Mental Health Chick! So sad to hear you suffering from this condition, but so great to hear how you're dealing with it. Never give up, no matter how exhausting it is. That video was very powerful. Didn't see it coming. All the best to you and your loved ones.
Exudo [2709605]
Happy mental health day, I share your burden and having taking meds for depressive disorder for about a year now.
Felt like quite a pit but after a long journey things are finally looking up.

To any forum lurkers that might have had the same mindset as I did before seeking help: it's not admitting defeat to ask for help, there is no shame in it. Once you conquer it, you'll look back on yourself in disbelief for even thinking so.

Good luck i believe
MCSH [2855875]
This is so wholesome. Thank you for sharing that.

I would like to also add that you (yes, you, the reader) are not alone in whatever you're going through. There are so many humans out there and so very few different kinds of tragedy. Believe that whatever is happening to you, others have experienced and have moved past, so you can too. Reach out and share your burdens. You shouldn't have to carry anything alone.
VM3Paradox [2572110]
well done for putting your story out there i think its so important for the world for everyone to recognise the importance of this day and ive found one thing that helped me a lot was quotes not just any random cliché quote but quotes from people of importance and idols and one quote i would love to share is "Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart" this is a good reminder to appreciate what you have and those around that are there for u that u are binded to by fate but also to love those around u will all your heart you have no idea what someone has been through and even if u have been through alot why would u wnat to put that on someone instead of helping them
Ogre_ [2748775]
This is a terrific post, thanks for putting yourself out there. Mental health is a huge issue that seems to get swept under the rug all the time. My wife has severe anxiety and people just don't understand.
WhackedMaki [2587660]
Happy world mental health day. As someone else who struggles from depression, I completely get it. And to anyone reading, know that depression can take many forms. While Chick sleeps a lot, I sleep very little. I go out, and for all intents and purposes am a functional member of society, but that doesn't mean that I don't suffer. I let tasks build because I don't have the mental energy to get them done until it's way too much, and then I end up feeling like a failure for letting it build that much. It's easier to distract myself with something like Torn (I have over 10 hours a day on here) than to do certain tasks. I go out because I have plans, only to wish I could stay home instead. But days when I stay home I wish I had something to go out and do. No matter what my brain just feels that what I'm doing is incorrect. But I get through it, I have medicine I take and I see a therapist weekly. I'm not cured by any means, but compared to what I used to be I'm far better.
IM-DONE [2878207]
Happy world mental health day to all of those who suffer like myself. i was battered and left for dead a lot of years ago and i still suffer from depression and a mild form of ptsd today. i am on medication for them both and torn is a form of escape from reality.

so to everyone who suffers .remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE
Hot-Monkey [1375654]
Very important topic, thank you for posting it.

If anyone out there is struggling, reach out, get help and stay strong!

I think I've said it before on the forums, but one of my favourite things about this game is the community and the strong friendships that can be made!
Phoenixflies [2165434]
I have dealt with mental health for such a long time now, both myself and those around me. I personally had a breakdown during the covid lockdowns, which was just the recent peak of a decade of worsening mental health, depressions and anxiety. I’ve had medication prescribed in the past, but living without these days. It’s not over though, with the continued challenge of deep depression of my life partner and also her daughter. It seems there are so many more people struggling these days, and my job (publican) brings me into contact with it daily.
I’m glad that there is a day to recognise mental health problems, and raise awareness of it. Thank you for the post, Chick.
As other have mentioned, my proverbial door is always open.

NB: seems a bit ironic to say Happy Mental Health day…
MorriganRion [2627409]
Thank you for posting. I have been diagnosed with suicidal depression, ADHD, PTSD amongst other things. I understand the fight everyday . I have left the meds behind and found other ways that work for me. The medication didn't. Between finch, gratitude app and torn I survive and I have improved over time. I'm thankful for supportive people around me in RL and here on torn. . I concur you not alone. Seek help and try the meds the professionals tell you to. It's not being weak doing so.
With professional guidance I have moved on from using medication to finding things that work for me.
It's real. You not alone .
Lady_Face [679926]
Thank you for posting. I'm diagnosed as bipolar with severe PTSD and manic depression. Learning to cope with it has been a long process. Yes, checking on each other is a great idea.
Sweeney_Todd [27468]
I've been there at the deep end and managed to get out of it. My saviour was a book called f**k it. Made something tick in my brain...

Basically, don't try and fight against the current of life, sit back and see where it takes you. Fighting against the current is a waste of time...

Stay safe people. You are loved and you are not alone...
CharmRiver [2334174] Reporter
All the best to you Chick, and everyone reading and replying.

Growing up with depression is rough. It's so isolating. I was never sure I would ever hit 16 years, I doubted I would ever turn 18 and I was damn sure I was never growing up passed 21. All these years came and went by and I'm still going. Accepting that university wasn't for me, after failing the last year twice was rough, but it set me on a path where I went and saw a therapist.

I got a job, I lost a job, got a new job. The months between jobs where the roughest, when I started to learn the tools to tackle life but could never find the will or energy to use and do something with them.

Eventually I found Torn. It was big, the community was huge and sometimes overwhelming. Migs asked me if I wanted to join his faction, Winter is Coming. I was shamefully shy at first. Getting in the routine of logging in daily and seeing the same names in chat helped me get out of my shell. I honestly can say I did most of my growing in the last 4 years, starting with this online community, but now I finally have a lasting job as well to keep me going in real life too. I felt kinda invisible for a huge part of my life and things are not always getting easier, but they are getting better.

Keep your head up. Especially on a hard day be extra nice to yourself and yes indeed, reaching out is important, no one should be alone and everyone deserves love ???