Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Does crime really pay?

Started by kasmersensei [2631250] on in General Discussion.

28 replies · 1.48k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 29 / 29 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
29
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

kasmersensei [2631250]
Ironically, for a crime game, crime in Torn doesn’t seem to pay well. I know for people who are hacking in a farm it could, but I am talking for most other situations. Especially since the change over to 2.0, I seem to be feting hailed fairly often and the bails when I pay them more than wipe out any crime earnings.
I still need to wait a bit more to finish my legal education to start busting merits, so am still doing a few crimes here and there, but seem to get jailed fairly regularly now even at 60 natural nerve! Anybody else wondering about the irony of that, crime not paying in a crime game ( though I suppose trading, flying for plushies and flowers, stock and bank holding with full merits, and maybe being leaders of OCs work out better money wise).
LuigiMangione [1870934]
Depends on the crime. The old (but current as of now) meta is getting enough CE to be on a PA team. I get between 30-70 million every 8 days. I'd say that's pretty good.

Burglary in 2.0 is a pretty good crime, too. Energy drinks and alcohol are regular drops.

Besides all of that, you'll miss out on a bunch of merits if you neglect crimes.
prepucealdente [2946047]
23:53:58 - 04/10/23 You sold 1x Cattle Prod on your bazaar to xxx at $40,000,000 each for a total of $40,000,000

06:36:21 - 30/09/23 You sold 1x Window Breaker on your bazaar to xxx at $11,999,000 each for a total of $11,999,000

13:36:44 - 29/09/23 You sold 1x Window Breaker on your bazaar to xxx at $12,000,000 each for a total of $12,000,000

...It pays pretty well I'd say
BrotherWen [2813636]
What has a farm got to do with hacking?

For crimes1 it wasn't great to be fair, but you could get decent hacking income that would supplement other income sources.

Of course the holy grail of that system was Political Assasinations, which are also good income but typically required more than a year of warehouse arsons to get to.

For crimes2, they've released the easiest and lowest-paying crimes first, and have only released the first seven crimes so far. Burglary can actually have a good payday, certain locations will give erotic dvds or drug packs as non-unique finds, but not every time - so the income is less consistent than crimes 1.

I don't know how many more crimes will be released, but it looks like there's space for 12. Since burglary already gives ok rewards at high levels I hope the crimes we'll see in future will give better rewards, and be something worth working towards for all players, new and old.

Also worth mentioning that OC 2.0 hasn't been released yet, which might give really good rewards.

TLDR - they're yet to release the hardest and highest-paying crimes, wait a few months then come back to this question.
Camellia [2758196]
We haven't really gotten to the high nerve crimes yet, so it's very early to tell. But with what we're getting currently where things like burglary can give a lot of good stuff I'm guessing the others will pay off nicely as well.
kasmersensei [2631250]
I guess I have to go with that. As to making money from PAs, not there yet. I was doing better in the old system, and of course I like getting merits, just seemed odd that the dough is not easily coming even at a higher nerve for me.
Callaghan [1316121]
In the crimes I've 100 Skill'd, I have between 0.3-0.5% critical fail rate, which not all involved jail because some take away life. Which I think is pretty reasonable. Obviously if you've spent time cheesing safe crimes in 1.0 you're gonna be surprised that jail is a threat again but I don't think it's any worse than the old system.
Aezur [1950769]
Crimes 2.0 doesn't really pay well, it just gives items worth decent money. That's an important distinction because it means it shouldn't have an inflationary effect, but also that those items have a new spawn point, likely plummeting in price over the long term and meaning the same crimes in the future won't pay as well as they are now.
Zanz [2830805]
So far throughout both crimes 1.0 and 2.0 it doesn't "pay well" compares to other income streams in the game. Which is, indeed ironic, but one can only hope that the higher level crimes in 2.0 will be reliably more profitable.

It seems to be a quite big disconnect between what players think is "decent profit" vs what the game devs think is profit. Getting 30-300k for a crime is a higher level outcome in a particular crime, if we disregard the unique and valuable items sprinkled in here and there, but if you can make millions for being in an active RW faction, mercing or reviving it is pretty low.

In the end though, the crimes are just another in-game casino where you're clicking a button and hoping for a decent multiplier or jackpot (unique or new special item). I've been vocal on wishing the crimes were more skill and planning oriented and less RNG:y. Find x item, buy y item, barter for z item, combine and make something that can be sold for a good profit or be useful like one of the drugs, temps or used as a precursor for a higher level crime later.

Heck, give me options to burgle specific targets like the sports shop for a high value item with high risk, or make a bootleg of an edvd every once in a while instead of spamming and waiting, spamming and hoping. The PA seem to be the endgame for everyone CE-wise, so make it something you can control by doing things that boost your CE considerably by training useful skills used for it, spending nerve at the shooting range or making diaguises. Anything. We (I) don't need more "casino" games, my RNG luck is non-existent as it is.
Asemov [2270413]
Realize new OC's will probably kill profitability of OC's, and if you aren't already in a PA team, it's unlikely you'll be making money from them.

golden_warrior disliked your post - Truth hurts somedays
chickenchicken disliked your post - Another person who can't handle the truth about PA teams.
Beerstein [1322136]
Crimes 1.0 is ~6.65m a day and PA is ~4.25m a day.

That's 4b a year. It's more than you make it out to be.

Crimes 2.0 doesn't pay and OC 2.0 probably also wont though.

I'm grabbing my ~11m a day while the grabbing is good in crimes 1.0
fsh [2565962]
Why get bailed? Might as well wait for busts, unless you're imminently going to max nerve/energy and need to spend it. And anyone who bails you without you asking them to is doing it for the merits, so you don't need to pay them.