Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

M'aol speculation?

Started by Hemigenus [2911440] on in General Discussion.

28 replies · 1.26k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 29 / 29 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
29
Discussion span
→
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

M'aol [23] ×1

Hemigenus [2911440]
With halloween approaching, M'aol seems to be making a return, armed with some great weapons. What are your theories on them? We know that he drops a supply pack but what does that contain? And to encourage people to attack him, do you think that they'll make him drop treats? And we also know that he will drop an armour. My current theory:
As we know that M'aol is equipped with some strong weapons such as Roar and Gore which both have very powerful abilities, I doubt these will drop. I'm guessing that large amounts of treats will drop from him, along with clothing such as masks and other things. They could also have armour that drops, as we know he drops at least one piece of armour. Are there any leaks? Have I missed anything? Any theories you would like to share? Of course, make sure you rack up those treats and make some money!
pussy [2797641]
I like that it's been an idea and that they're trying it. Hopefully it's more exciting than something like Duke or the other NPCs with just a drop and that's all - very boring :/

maybe when I need weapon exps I'll care about it more but not rn anyways - will still take part if someone summons it tho
Fexalan [2130109]
My guess is that the person who spawns him is guaranteed to get the supply pack once they defeat him, and others who participate in the attack have a chance of getting stuff like typical NPC attacks.
Maybe people get treats relative to damage done too?
Hemigenus [2911440]
That's a good thought, treats to damage/hits would be an interesting idea
It may generate less attacking and more looting of M'aol
Juggernaut [39773]
I'm hoping there's a unique honor or something that comes with summoning.

If the reward is just a chache or some financial boon then chances are, exchanging treats would have offered a better return in the long run. I can imagine random attackers getting the lootboxes but the players saving for years and spending all those treats to summon? it just doesn't feel like enough.
flare [2195157] Officer Officer
Most likely not according to proxmia unless they or the #1 candy holder get 2-3 cat in hell triggers.

Edit: their comment
It's technically possible in that someone like me or heasley can technically proc Cats in Hell 3 times... but that is obviously never going to happen. I actually don't think its possible for someone with max refills (pre-100-cap) to get there (again without Cats).

Mentions: Halloweek 2023

BrotherWen [2813636]
I think M'aol will be cool, but the amount of years of buildup and speculation guarantee that whatever the result actually is, people will be disappointed.

I DO hope that whoever summons him at least gets an awesome cosmetic item or honor bar, to commemorate their achievement/sacrifice.
Whittlinman [1843716]
I'm curious if it's a one-time summon to unlock him as a seasonal NPC, or if each summon is to attack him once. Unless he drops the equivalent of a dirty bomb as loot, I can't see people blowing 10k treats more than once or twice ever, but a single instance to unlock him with a nice perk for the person who spends the treats is feasible.

Or maybe the data-mined supply pack goes to whoever summons, and he drops more standard loot. If the pack contained something like a unique weapon/armor plus a random amount between 5k-13k of treats, that could entice people to save up.

Like, if someone finally spends the treats to summon and they get an event along the lines of "With a burst of flame and whiff of brimstone, an ornate box appears where your sacrifice was sitting moments ago". Then everyone gets an alert screen like when a dirty bomb is dropped. "As you're walking down the street you stop, a chill going through your body. The clouds overhead are gray, blocking out the sun and casting the city in long shadows. The air is still and heavy, like a mausoleum. Looking around, you can see that everyone else on the street can feel it too. Something is wrong. Something is coming."

Then a newsticker announcement that "M'aol has risen from the depths of the ocean. He will reach Torn in x amount of time. Prepare yourselves.". And once the countdown hits zero his status changes to be attackable like a regular NPC.
Zanz [2830805]
By the time people can summon him, hopefully the developers have cooked up some interesting mechanic or system that will make it worthwhile, both for those who can summon him and to a lesser extent for everyone else that will have to participate to deal with him.

I simply can't see another simple seasonal NPC like the Easter bunny or duke.

Maybe a rift to the void will be opened as a much, much, improved Christmas town mechanic, with some fun and unique outcomes.
flare [2195157] Officer Officer
Ched has said the exact opposite:

As I've said before, I would not recommend anyone pursue this, as there's nothing to be gained. There's no rewards and nothing good comes of it.

oraN [1778676]

Good. I'm gonna save my treats and do this in few years out of spite :p



Well you'd be sacrificing everything for effectively nothing.

Probably just lore building but I guess we'll wait and see

Mentions: oraN [1778676] · [SPOILER] Spooky Effects and Cthulhu!

Zanz [2830805]
You're probably right, it is pretty common around these parts to drop the ball on interesting and fun mechanics. This isn't the only or even the latest of possibilites to add interesting and sought after features, or to improve and expand gameplay that would be blatantly ignored or fumbled on the goal line.
Dionysus [2636397]
My head cannon is that Ched hasn't decided exactly how Cthulu is supposed to function and is looking to the community to creepypasta some ideas into existence.