Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

[Userscript+PDA] Better Chat

Started by DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee on in Tools & Userscripts.

91 replies · 7.92k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 92 / 92 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
92
Discussion span
→
Authority score
65 / 100
Historical score
64 / 100
Story score
60 / 100
Engagement score
83 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Rilence [2625339] ×1

DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
Better Chat
Improving the chat 2.0 experience by fixing stuff, adding features that should have been added in the first place even if it's an alpha, an alternative layout and some other QoL features.

It requires Tampermonkey (or an alternative) to be installed. You can find it on Greasyfork. I've also made it compatible with TornPDA.

Feedback can be provided here or in my Discord server.

Alternative Layout
  • hide avatars
  • compacted
  • left align all messages, including your own (supports the mini-profile as well)
[image: i.imgur.com]

Quality of Life
  • hide avatars in the box so the status is clearer
  • place group chats to the right, regardless of opening order
  • highlight player messages
  • accessibility features
  • font size
  • autocomplete user names
  • always show the grouped chats on mobile
[image: i.imgur.com]
[image: i.imgur.com]
Caio [2488372]
to rise font size on the chat... there is a reasonable way on the script to do?
as in place font-size somewhere on it and work or thing like ???
great script, quite fast fix to the chat 2.0 update;
Zanz [2830805]
This is great, what a fcking joke that you had to make a user script to make the "new and improved chat 2.0" into something resembling a working and clean chat.
Asemov [2270413]
This is how all chats should have been from the beginning, the profile pictures are too small to provide any visible use, and are too large to keep things compact - Usernames are more than enough to identify who you're talking too.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
I've installed Firefox (developer mode, but it shouldn't make a difference) just to test this, and I'm running the script just fine with Tampermonkey. Which script manager are you using?

EDIT: I've released 1.0.3 which changes something minor which results in Greasemonkey also working. If you are using something else and it still doesn't work, let me know which one and I'll check it out.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
Changelog 26th of October

1.0.1: remove features that got implemented by Torn (long name fix + hyperlinks)
1.0.2: small styling issue with compact mode => margin after :
1.0.3: change run-at time to support Greasemonkey
1.0.4+1.0.5: fix highlights based on the name and fix 'newMessage' appearing again in compact mode
1.0.6: fix current player name detection on the attack page
Hinotori [1996403]
Weird. (Manually) updated to 1.0.6, still doesn't work on Greasemonkey for me, but as it hasn't been updated in years (I installed it way back when there was no FF Tampermonkey iirc), moved to Tamper and that worked fine. So no further issue for me at least?
ThunderBlitz [2684774]
After trying this, the images from P2P chat boxes (plain grey when minimised, thumbnail also missing from title when opened), making it impossible to keep track of whose boxes you have on-screen (one of the few noticeable upgrades so far). I assume this is linked to the avatar removal part but, I'm not about to mess with the code unless I know exactly what to change to what.
[background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]
Could you maybe provide rundown of the changes that can be safely made, without breaking the script/entire website? :-)[/background]
[background color=var(--bbc-body-bg-color)]
[/background]
Also, slightly more spacing/padding between entries in group chats might be helpful. Looking in my faction box after installing this script and, it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint who's saying what, as names are almost swallowed up by the rest of the text.


Edit: the first paragraph seemed to go cuckoo-bananas while I was away (broken up onto extra lines, most of it coloured black for some reason), so I fixed that. X-D
Asemov [2270413]
I actually added a 2-3 pixel gap between messages to help with that padding problem.

I've been trying to limit the profile picture removal to only occur in the chatbox, but I wager DeKlein didn't like my highlight solution lol.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
It's indeed the removing of the avatar, resulting in it becoming a status indicator where grey is offline. At the top of the code, there are a few settings where you can disable the avatar hiding. There is a separate setting for chats and the box itself, precisely because of this reason.

I won't add the extra padding for now, as it's entirely personal preference so you'd have to configure it. The problem with that (and the current settings) is that it would get overwritten with every update I push. I do have improvements to it planned, but due to personal life getting in the way I have little time for that nice to haves.
PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee
Loving this because it hides the avatars. <3

My name is back in chat again and private messages have names back. No more feeling like I'm reading one big chunk of garbled text. Thank you thank you thank you!

Anyway you could add alt text or labels to the main set of buttons? Such as settings, notes and the button that opens the section to select global/faction/company etc?

Hard to explain what I mean since all they read out to me with a screen reader is 'button'.

It's also not possible for me to close out private chats with screen reader. Not sure if the button for it is unlabeled or just non-existent.

Currently, when I click on the 'button' that opens private chats, it displays all my recent chats. This may be an intended feature of 2.0. Not sure.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
Just release 1.1.0, with in-game settings. Under the people tab, click the 'BS'.

This system has the benefit of not resetting whenever I push an update. I wanted to get this out asap, so it's not perfect yet.

Known issues:
  • no close button (click the gray background or refresh)
  • 'BS' not available when you go back from clicking the setting button first
If there are any other issues, let me know.