Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Is it normal to replace price history for items?

Started by Everwood [62912] on in General Discussion.

31 replies · 943 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 32 / 32 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
32
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Everwood [62912]
I am just trying to figure out what happened here.. I lost about 2B networth overnight.
Just 4 months ago I was selling Fine Chisels for 3-3.5M.. now the price is ~$700.
This was an item I chose to collect many years ago because no more were being added to the game. I sold about 500 over the years.. but still have 500+ in stock.
I get that things change in the game.. but Is it normal for Torn to replace the price history for an item with some compete BS?
Just a few from the log..
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Wendy at $2,950,000 each for a total of $2,950,000 08:13:07 - 02/07/23
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Wendy at $2,950,000 each for a total of $2,950,000 08:13:06 - 02/07/23
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Wendy at $2,950,000 each for a total of $2,950,000 08:13:04 - 02/07/23

The history is not even close.. and seems from a completely different item.
EW
Hamr [2027992]
Could it be your memory isn't perfect?

Also Torn's devs don't set prices on the market, we do.

For reference, the price-over-time chart:

[image: i.gyazo.com]

Only once spiked the average price past $4,000 so you got some lucky sales in.
It doesn't seem to account for outliers very much.
Everwood [62912]
No
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Wendy at $2,950,000 each for a total of $2,950,000 08:13:07 - 02/07/23
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Wendy at $2,950,000 each for a total of $2,950,000 08:13:06 - 02/07/23
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Wendy at $2,950,000 each for a total of $2,950,000 08:13:04 - 02/07/23
Everwood [62912]
I sold hundreds of them,, I can add more from the log,,
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Monkey001 at $3,400,000 each for a total of $3,400,000
05:24:55 - 05/03/23
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Ajui at $3,400,000 each for a total of $3,400,000
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Sikotiq at $3,500,000 each for a total of $3,500,000
You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to stinky at $3,500,000 each for a total of $3,500,000
01:38:39 - 12/06/22 You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to stinky at $3,500,000 each for a total of $3,500,000
14:22:41 - 16/04/22 You sold 1x Fine Chisel on your bazaar to Nuit at $3,550,000 each for a total of $3,550,000
Hamr [2027992]
Yes, but that doesn't mean the average price was ever that high

Crimes 2 released and caused a huge market spike on a lot of items that have since been estimated to be valueless.

For some of those items, they sold for millions or tens of millions for a span of a few hours before crashing.

As a result it wouldn't show too well on the average price tracker.
hemi [2165616]
Join the club of people that collected items which values' dropped with the new crimes 2.0.

I collected about 2bil worth of thongs, until crimes 2.0's hookers made them worthless.
Pair of high heels also became worthless along with lots of other used-to-be valuable items.

Thanks obama/ched!
Everwood [62912]
That history if wrong.. period. Even when I was collecting them they were around 20-50K.. and sold them for millions for years.
hemi [2165616]
So basically, TLDR yes, it's not normal. But it seems to be what torn has done with some of the items that were once valuable and now aren't.
Same thing goes for thong, the history says that over the past year it's been under 100k but I know for a fact that they've been bought and sold for 6m-10m in just the past 6 months by me alone.

Glitch in the matrix, I suppose.

I don't think it's necessarily replacing it, as much as ..... mechanically diluting it, which I agree shouldn't be the case, it would be nice if OV items showed how much they went for when they did. Can't say it's normal cuz this is the first time I'm seeing things turn worthless (reminds me of OG runescape month before the grand exchange).
Orange_Walrus [2601735]
Sounds like RMT to me to sell $700 items for 3m a pop, maybe you forgot about buying cash and thats why you managed to sell a lot of em?
damaster [641864] Wiki Contributor
Can confirm OP is correct-- that graph, objectively, does not reflect the reality of the historical prices of these chisels. They were priced in the millions for years, and I am also 100% positive about that-- it was an item that was very difficult to get a high % copy of because even the lowest % ones were hundreds of thousands or millions depending on the time period. I checked the graph and that trend simply isn't showing. Hemi has also confirmed this as the case with the Thong. I would like to know what is going on here.
Phoenixflies [2165434]
Thought: The graph represents value per sold item, and since there are now many more sold, the previous high values were over relatively very few items. Therefore are dismissed by a mean graph plot. Maybe?
hammi [2235955]
NW valuation is based on an average historical price not market price, so its quite common for NW valuation of items to change.

iirc the NW valuation of clothing items was changed manually after it was found that people were buying huge numbers, to allow them to manipulate NW figures to reach rank triggers. these are the only items i believe that have been force changed, but i could be wrong
Zeifer [1949530]
I think they did it to a lot of itens, even new items from crimes 2.0 got some BS with historical value graphics. Something going wrong when they changed how the game calcs the NW, or they simple did a bad job.