Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chat 2.0 - Progress update

Started by bogie [148747] Admin on in General Discussion.

432 replies · 12.7k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 433 / 433 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

cfcfcfcfcf [2814219]
it would be very nice if pressing the word "settings" (or the entire thing other than the X) in the settings menu would bring you back to the main page instead of closing the entire tab. this is especially on mobile, where the < is very small.
Madgod [1733719]
The chat looks a lot better now than it did day 1, but the occasional Connecting to Server message is quite annoying. Has this issue been explained anywhere? It kind of feels like this shouldn't be an issue but I'm not aware of what's causing it
SimbaJack [2441977]
OK im like one of the only people who sees the future of chat 2.0 and i actually LOVE IT and cant wait until its done, BUT......

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..... FFS

make the flash notifier a glowing box like it used to be.... that annoying bubble with a number in it is going to be the end of me....
MuddBaal [2512285]
Every time I open a new tab to attack, the same old chat boxes keep coming up blocking the screen. It disappears shortly after, but its a noticeable delay. I have closed all the open chats on every window, but they keep reappearing.
sharx [1927463]
Earlier in chat 1.0 it was possible to draw user links from the factions attacking page into the chat resulting in everyone was able to see and possibly click that link, so it was very easy for people to share retal targets during RWs or chains.

This/drawing links is still possible for the for the attacklog by holdclicking + drawing "View" on factions attacking page into the chat window.

[sorry, wasn't possible to make a screenshot while doing it, I hope you understand what I mean anyway]
VonDut [1781240]
Ever going to fix the Firefox connection issues?

Thanks for giving us the two free refills but I would actually rather have a playable game.
ZaMaCa [3046154]
Is there a way to do it on mobile? I'm rarely on a computer to play this game and I don't think it has the same ability, that I know of!
Dargonkin [2663959]
still waiting to have an opportunity to chat on 2.0 as torn has been super silent since you dropped it on us. I did enjoy the free refills though got me some extra bling for my halloween bucket too bad I cant brag to anyone about it.....
:)
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Hi all,

I have a brief update on what is currently in progress, planned, and being addressed:

Before we proceed with smaller QOL improvements, the development team has been diligently focusing on resolving critical usability issues.

One of the initial and most crucial issues pertains to chats not appearing, despite their presence in the chat list.

We have successfully replicated this issue and currently have a fix in the QA stage. We aim to release this fix within the next 12-24 hours.

Another major concern involves messages falling out of sync and disappearing. We have also managed to reproduce this problem and identified the cause and are actively working on a solution. However, a significant portion of the issue seems to be related to our third-party system not working as expected at certain times. We have raised with with them and are currently awaiting their response. We hope to receive a prompt response, which will enable us to swiftly rectify this problem.

Thank you.
Mad-Dokta [2769130]
I currently cannot enjoy Torn chat ever since 2.0 came out, I have never felt more isolated because of this redesign. What exactly was wrong with the previous version that it required updating? Why were we not given an option to swap over like with Crimes 2.0 (which I absolutely love!)

Why not update the mission providers so we have someone other than Duke...

More often than not, the system is also bugged with "Connecting to the server", always on mobile, sometimes when on pc.
Ridgeback [2015242]
One day I would like to see the universe where this dumpster fire is an improvement on the old chat. If it worked, perhaps that would be in this universe. My chats are still disappearing, still unstable, still take an unreasonable amount of time to load, and all this happens on phone, tablet, and laptop. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe people ARE typing "Connecting to server..." over and over. I'm sure this will be alright once it actually works, but I didn't experience the problems people purported to have in the old chat. I got messages instantly. I could see when there were new messages waiting. The damn chat box was actually visible every time I opened the page. What a mess, and right before the biggest chining event of the year. Just a massive self inflicted debacle.
Sleep_Hunter [2806607]
When I have moved to my personal stat page just now, chat seems disappeared and only notebook icon was there. While I writing this message there is only notebook icon. No chat option.

Edit: It seems chat isn't appearing in chrome (has torn tool extension added in chrome) from windows. In my android phone, chat at torn official app seems working good.
Abramz [2271465]
It would be nice if chat actually worked... also kudos for dropping the new system right befor Halloween event. Epic
123 [2561502]
My issues with Chat 2.0

1. Why do I have to press an addition button to access either global or faction chat?


2. Connection Issues and maybe the fact that chats don't automatically refresh.


3. I MISS THE OLD FORMAT OF SEEING MY NAME ON THE LEFT INSTEAD OF THE RIGHT, ESPECIALLY IN DMS, it's much harder to copy messages.


4. When I used to write messages in the text box it used to stay even if I go on another chat but not it disappears, refresh or move to another chat its disappears and in chat 1.0 it didn't disappear.


5. Why do we have a "met" section? Okay I've had 0 interaction with them and I still can't initiate a chat with them. Also why 100? Why not just simple like 10
Mad-Dokta [2769130]
Ty - just found the reason you made mention.

"the old engine from almost two decades ago has reached the limit of its potential.

In fact, chat has recently been hitting some hard connection limits, which some people may have noticed recently in the form of errors, hence our decision to expedite the release of the new chat system.
"

I find it funny (sorry dark humor) that the old system had hit connection limits, yet the new version has been causing me (and perhaps many others) frequent "Connecting to the server" errors... I would prefer the old version at this point. I am sorry for my negativity but I have never felt so alone on this game where the chat fails on my pc and mobile more often than not (99% on mobile it never works, 10% on pc).
Dargonkin [2663959]
so I got to use chat 2.0 for the very first time today as I finally got to "connect to server". Now that I've seen it I do NOT like it. once you have it stable for everyone how about tweaking it back to the old format AND bring back to ability to see if there are new messages by a glance by making the tab glow if there are unread messages in them.. Thanks!! (funny how the fix took almost exactly how long the Halloween event lasted lol!)
Thrie [148961] Moderator Official
Thank you for the update. It really goes a long way. Not sure if its pure luck, but the connecting issues on FireFox have seemed to be stable so far this afternoon. My chats also seem to be working in DuckDuckgo on IOS.

Fingers crossed this is a sign of chat stabilizing.