Going to take a few days off (except for bug fixing). After that I'll contact you to ask a few things, as they might have already fixed some stuff.
[Userscript+PDA] Better Chat
Started by DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee on in Tools & Userscripts.
Posts archived: 92 / 92 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
hey, this is a wonderful script! but how can u change the color of all the other people i speak with at once ? like i have green and rest of the faction has red or somthing. and again thanks for making a script like this!
Thanks for adding the settings panel & the ability to space entries out slightly.
The only real issue I can see just now, is that the only way to close the settings panel is to refresh the page. Could a 'Save' or 'Close' button be added to it (settings do save fine and, I realise they're not implemented until a new page loads anyway, it's just a bit clunky needing to refresh the current page, before navigating to another page)?
Also, is the 'add/remove' highlights option, to enable highlighting different people in a specific colour (eg. so you can highlight your faction leaders as 1 colour, those with bank access as another colour, etc)? If so, that's really cool but, how do you implement it? I tried changing %player% to the persons username (inside the two %) but, it didn't change anything.
It seems there's another issue; the highlight for my own name doesn't always show. It was when I originally posted this, now it's not (this has happened before over the last few days, I just thought this version might fix it).
A quick question, though....what does the "Autocomplete when entering an message inside of a group box" setting do, exactly? I've activated it but, I'm not seeing anything different when typing, for example, in the faction box (as always, I'm using TornPDA).
The only real issue I can see just now, is that the only way to close the settings panel is to refresh the page. Could a 'Save' or 'Close' button be added to it (settings do save fine and, I realise they're not implemented until a new page loads anyway, it's just a bit clunky needing to refresh the current page, before navigating to another page)?
Also, is the 'add/remove' highlights option, to enable highlighting different people in a specific colour (eg. so you can highlight your faction leaders as 1 colour, those with bank access as another colour, etc)? If so, that's really cool but, how do you implement it? I tried changing %player% to the persons username (inside the two %) but, it didn't change anything.
It seems there's another issue; the highlight for my own name doesn't always show. It was when I originally posted this, now it's not (this has happened before over the last few days, I just thought this version might fix it).
A quick question, though....what does the "Autocomplete when entering an message inside of a group box" setting do, exactly? I've activated it but, I'm not seeing anything different when typing, for example, in the faction box (as always, I'm using TornPDA).
Amazing work. Is there any chance in the future to move company and faction so they appea next to notes instead of being hidden behind new button?
ability to space entries out slightlyI didn't add anything off that sort? Might look into it though, as the new settings menu would make it workable.
The only real issue I can see just now, is that the only way to close the settings panel is to refresh the page. Could a 'Save' or 'Close' button be added to itIt's planned, but clicking the background should work. On mobile it doesn't appear to though.
Also, is the 'add/remove' highlights option, to enable highlighting different people in a specific colour (eg. so you can highlight your faction leaders as 1 colour, those with bank access as another colour, etc)? If so, that's really cool but, how do you implement it? I tried changing %player% to the persons username (inside the two %) but, it didn't change anything.You have to put the exact name (case insensitive), not including the % signs. Those are used for placeholders, which is only %player% for you current name.
It seems there's another issue; the highlight for my own name doesn't always show. It was when I originally posted this, now it's not (this has happened before over the last few days, I just thought this version might fix it).On mobile? I'm not much of a mobile player myself, but 1.0.7 did fix it for me I think, so not sure what the issue could be.
Updates will be a lot slower now though, as personal life has turned to shit this weekend.
It's the "make the chat significantly compacter" option that does it, specifically deselecting it adds the extra padding around each entry, making things slightly clearer to read (I can see the benefits of making it more compact, it's probably just down to personal preference).
I've just discovered by accident, that if you open the settings panel and tap the background around it (on mobile, specifically TornPDA), without changing any settings, the panel closes. However, as soon as you change a setting, this won't work, so a page refresh is required. I just figured this might be worth mentioning for debugging purposes. :-)
Yep! Removed the %% and the highlight is working for the chosen player. This is actually pretty damn cool! :-D
The intermittent highlight is probably being caused by the inherent bugs in the system itself. Some of the guys in the faction have mentioned some strange glitches that only they're seeing, so it could just be related to that. Not a huge issue, I guess but, hopefully the core system will be stabilised soon and things work properly overall.
I've just discovered by accident, that if you open the settings panel and tap the background around it (on mobile, specifically TornPDA), without changing any settings, the panel closes. However, as soon as you change a setting, this won't work, so a page refresh is required. I just figured this might be worth mentioning for debugging purposes. :-)
Yep! Removed the %% and the highlight is working for the chosen player. This is actually pretty damn cool! :-D
The intermittent highlight is probably being caused by the inherent bugs in the system itself. Some of the guys in the faction have mentioned some strange glitches that only they're seeing, so it could just be related to that. Not a huge issue, I guess but, hopefully the core system will be stabilised soon and things work properly overall.
1.1.1: button to close the chats
1.1.2: minor accessibility improvements within the script
Current TODO list:
1.1.2: minor accessibility improvements within the script
Current TODO list:
- font size
- accessibility stuff (if needed, will consultant someone who can tell me more)
- move group chats to the main bar (if possible)
The main buttons still just say "button".
Hopefully the devs will sort this out soon, but for now it's crazy difficult to navigate.
Read in another thread that some are complaining about the flash alert now showing a number.
I had actually asked for something like that to notify screen readers of new messages. Obviously, the flash notifications are useless to screen readers.
Oddly enough, the numbers are not read out by screen readers lol.
Not sure if that is something you could address or if the devs will handle it.
The one thing that still bugs me other than the unlabeled buttons, is the 'button' within chats. at the start of the message.
It reads out:
button Rhiannone: Hello.
Is there a way to hide that 'button'? It's super annoying to hear button hundreds of times a day, just trying to read chats. :(
Edit:
You've already made chat so much better for me so again, a massive thank you. Even if no more improvements are possible/reasonable, I am overjoyed with this script.
Hopefully the devs will sort this out soon, but for now it's crazy difficult to navigate.
Read in another thread that some are complaining about the flash alert now showing a number.
I had actually asked for something like that to notify screen readers of new messages. Obviously, the flash notifications are useless to screen readers.
Oddly enough, the numbers are not read out by screen readers lol.
Not sure if that is something you could address or if the devs will handle it.
The one thing that still bugs me other than the unlabeled buttons, is the 'button' within chats. at the start of the message.
It reads out:
button Rhiannone: Hello.
Is there a way to hide that 'button'? It's super annoying to hear button hundreds of times a day, just trying to read chats. :(
Edit:
You've already made chat so much better for me so again, a massive thank you. Even if no more improvements are possible/reasonable, I am overjoyed with this script.
Thank you DeKleineKobini, you are doing wonderful work. First time since the release that I actually spent time in the new chat system. Looking forward to chatting again. Thank you for updating the system as you have time, even if RL is as hectic as it can be sometimes.
Just learned of this thanks to Skeletron mentioning it. FANTASTIC! Thank you DeKleineKobini!
1.1.3: fix highlight removing to select the correct highlight
1.2.0: describe buttons for accessibility tools
1.2.1: now adds an option to not read out the 'button' from the message
1.2.2: minor typo fix
1.2.3: improve popup including autofocus (so screenreader users actually can find it) + disable reading out the sender name button role by default
1.2.0: describe buttons for accessibility tools
1.2.1: now adds an option to not read out the 'button' from the message
1.2.2: minor typo fix
1.2.3: improve popup including autofocus (so screenreader users actually can find it) + disable reading out the sender name button role by default
Would it be possible to sort the people lists by last online time, especially the faction list, miss the old chat as it did that
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
The icons were a bad idea from the start, nobody wanted them
Thank you
Thank you
The icons were a bad idea from the start, nobody wanted them
Thank you, amazing script.
Love the changes for screen readers.
-------
My chat is better than yours, that's right, it's better than yours. I'd teach you but DeKleineKobini script is free of charge.
Love the changes for screen readers.
-------
My chat is better than yours, that's right, it's better than yours. I'd teach you but DeKleineKobini script is free of charge.
I've just released 2.0.0. It's a complete code overhaul, to make it easier to keep adding stuff.
It also (accidentally) fixes the people tab changes (custom settings + accessibility stuff) not reapplying when opening the normal settings and going back.
I've also added some more accessibility stuff, for the notepad and people tab buttons.
It also (accidentally) fixes the people tab changes (custom settings + accessibility stuff) not reapplying when opening the normal settings and going back.
I've also added some more accessibility stuff, for the notepad and people tab buttons.
You can't, only specific players one by one.
added in 2.2.0, it's not actually by last online time but on status as I don't have the last online time there
2.1.0: autocomplete names (off by default)
2.1.1: fix current player name detection
2.2.0: sort players in the people tab based on status
2.2.0.1: nothing functional, just some code changes
2.3.0: change font size
Since moving the combined chats on mobile doesn't seem to be possible, nothing more is on my list for now. Let me know if there is an issue, or you want something added/changed.
2.1.1: fix current player name detection
2.2.0: sort players in the people tab based on status
2.2.0.1: nothing functional, just some code changes
2.3.0: change font size
Since moving the combined chats on mobile doesn't seem to be possible, nothing more is on my list for now. Let me know if there is an issue, or you want something added/changed.
There's really only 1 issue I can pinpoint right now, that's with the settings panel. In dark mode, the text is light gray on a white background, so I need to highlight it all to be able to read it. XD
I might be in the minority here but, it just seems worth mentioning. You've near enough outdone those who are getting paid to implement the chat system (and the website in general), so overall this is a bloody good effort! \m//
A quick question, though....what does the "Autocomplete when entering an message inside of a group box" setting do, exactly? I've activated it but, I'm not seeing anything different while typing, for example, in the faction box.
I might be in the minority here but, it just seems worth mentioning. You've near enough outdone those who are getting paid to implement the chat system (and the website in general), so overall this is a bloody good effort! \m//
A quick question, though....what does the "Autocomplete when entering an message inside of a group box" setting do, exactly? I've activated it but, I'm not seeing anything different while typing, for example, in the faction box.
2.3.1 fixes the settings for dark mode
Autocomplete allows you to press tab to fill in the usernames currently present within that group chat.
Autocomplete allows you to press tab to fill in the usernames currently present within that group chat.