45 replies · 798 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:46 / 46 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
46
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
58 / 100
Engagement score
70 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Hey so I'm just here and curious as well as for some of the older folk to pass some knowledge to the youngins. What's something your parents told you that you really didn't understand/not me that your now understanding in your later years?
For me it was drink a lil water after sweets/soda . And make sure to do proper aftercare on injuries because your going 4o feel every bicycle or skating accident in the mornings in 20 years.
"lifes too short" "life goes on" (whether we want it to or not) (for example, our world stops because of a traumatic event or death or what have you but everyone else still goes on normally - even when they're going through things too - the masks we wear to fit in with society can be a bit cruel at times)
The value of stable work, good health, and home ownership.
I've been lucky but also worked hard, also had fun, my oldest kid is a teenager very soon so I've been sharing my embarrassing teen experiences and poor decisions with him in confidence of the rest of the family so we can relate when I'm talking about his own awkward stuff ... better keep his mouth shut or ill teach him that snitches get stitches XD
Yeah, my parents were a bit rubbish. So I added a bit for myself: there is no white knight in shining magical armour who will rescue you. The only person who can rescue you is you. Mental health takes just as much effort as physical fitness: take the meds, do the therapy, eat and sleep properly. Most mental illnesses CAN be 'managed' this way as conditions which will flare up from time to time, or may need adjustment to be able to carry on with daily living. Mental illness is not, repeat NOT your fault. It IS your responsibility.
We are all our own harshest critics - try to be as kind to yourself as you would to anyone else in your situation :)
From my Father; Work hard and do your best at whatever it is you do, no matter what it is, so that you can take pride in a job well done. From my Mother; There is always someone who has less than you so make the most of it and be happy with what you have. From me; When things get bad remember that nothing ever lasts forever. The worst of times will pass and when you think that you have hit rock bottom then the only way is up.
Spent my whole life doing things for other people, or putting other's needs above my own. Now I am 41 and starting from scratch and trying to figure out who I am, and what I am searching for.
"You have power over your mind - not outside events." - Shit happen, and you are the one who decides how it will impact you.
"Everything we hear is opinion, everything we see is perspective." - Don't let others BS affect you.
"If a man know not which port he sails - no wind is favorable." - Without a goal, you don't get anywhere.
"I begin to speak only when I'm certain what I'll say is not best left unsaid." - Don't waste of time.
"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." - Never give up.
"Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it; and even if something can be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others. There is no other world." - Live now, not later.