I'm having the same issue on MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1, Chrome Version 119.0.6045.159 (Official Build) (x86_64). Torntools not installed, but Retorn is.
Very high CPU usage in chrome by Torn
Started by Wade [2220399] on in Bugs & Issues.
Posts archived: 165 / 165 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Same issues here. CPU usage usually is in 20-30% range with a single Torn tab opened. Even with this usage, I'm getting random hitches, even when I started typing this message, but usually while left click holding someone's name to see their mini-profile.
Like someone mentioned, the usage goes back to 3% when sitting for some time in this thread or the bug section of the forum.
Some pages are worse, like Search Cash from Crimes 2.0, where it goes to 50 and spikes to 60+ while doing crimes.
But when I had opened bunch of Torn pages like Bazaars that I was to buy some items later, some random pages like Gym, Jail, Missions, and 2 Faction pages (chain wall and RW one), the usage was like 80% and spiking to 95%+.
I used to have even more torn pages opened before this started to happen without any issues.
Win10 Pro 22H2
Xeon 2667 v2 CPU, HT off
Brave v1.60.125 (Nov 29, 2023)
Like someone mentioned, the usage goes back to 3% when sitting for some time in this thread or the bug section of the forum.
Some pages are worse, like Search Cash from Crimes 2.0, where it goes to 50 and spikes to 60+ while doing crimes.
But when I had opened bunch of Torn pages like Bazaars that I was to buy some items later, some random pages like Gym, Jail, Missions, and 2 Faction pages (chain wall and RW one), the usage was like 80% and spiking to 95%+.
I used to have even more torn pages opened before this started to happen without any issues.
Win10 Pro 22H2
Xeon 2667 v2 CPU, HT off
Brave v1.60.125 (Nov 29, 2023)
Same issue here, cpu spikes up to 30% usage, just saw memory usage jump up to 1.5GB when i opened the crimes page. After a little while it drops down to 700MB for this tab
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Firefox 120.0 with hardware acceleration enabled
Ryzen 7800X3D
32GB ram
All the latest drivers and bios installed.
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Firefox 120.0 with hardware acceleration enabled
Ryzen 7800X3D
32GB ram
All the latest drivers and bios installed.
Not sure if this is related, but my whole game is starting to lag lately.
It first started with the Spin the wheel animation, then it moved to other areas.
For example when doing a Disposal crime the scrolling text of outcome visibly lags.
Similarly when training the numbers going up pause momentarily at times and lag.
I have seen the usage drop occasionally, but as soon as I refresh page or go to home screen it goes up again.
It first started with the Spin the wheel animation, then it moved to other areas.
For example when doing a Disposal crime the scrolling text of outcome visibly lags.
Similarly when training the numbers going up pause momentarily at times and lag.
I have seen the usage drop occasionally, but as soon as I refresh page or go to home screen it goes up again.
Noticed this too, first noticed it in spin the wheel where the animation is now more akin to those old slide pictures we had in school 25 years ago maxing out at maybe 1-2 fps but seeing it on many other pages as well. It's like Torn is doing some heavy computing for 5-10 seconds after each page load.
Luckily the constantly CPU hogging crimes pages could be mitigated somewhat by using some custom CSS rules, they now idle at about 20% CPU usage where before they were at 60+%.
This is on Firefox 120.0.1 on PC running Ubuntu so it's not Chrome exclusive.
Luckily the constantly CPU hogging crimes pages could be mitigated somewhat by using some custom CSS rules, they now idle at about 20% CPU usage where before they were at 60+%.
This is on Firefox 120.0.1 on PC running Ubuntu so it's not Chrome exclusive.
This issue gets exponentially worse when in a war, as I'm currently experiencing, since being in a war means a lot of new page loads, one for each new attack.
Doesn't help that while trying to fight through the insane lag a bunch of chat windows that I've closed long ago pop up all over the screen, and closing them doesn't help - they just pop back up again in the next attack.
Doesn't help that while trying to fight through the insane lag a bunch of chat windows that I've closed long ago pop up all over the screen, and closing them doesn't help - they just pop back up again in the next attack.
Have this same problem, found temporarily fix by disabling IndexedDB for Torn
Press F12 in Torn -> Switch Elements tab to Application -> Storage -> Uncheck IndexedDP -> Clear data -> restart browser
For me it reduced CPU & Disk usage about half and made Torn work smoother
Press F12 in Torn -> Switch Elements tab to Application -> Storage -> Uncheck IndexedDP -> Clear data -> restart browser
For me it reduced CPU & Disk usage about half and made Torn work smoother
Isn't the 'indexedDB' related to chat 2.0?
Performance has deteriorated even further recently for me. (Last 2 days)
Pages are failing to load for a significant amount of time.
Having multiple tabs of torn open, for example in a a war scenario makes this even worse.
Could this be related to chat 2.0 in any way ?
Pages are failing to load for a significant amount of time.
Having multiple tabs of torn open, for example in a a war scenario makes this even worse.
Could this be related to chat 2.0 in any way ?
Performance is worse, true.
Pages load long sometimes; sometimes Torn freezes, like when doing crimes (there are three dots loading animation and can't do anything for a few seconds, reloading torn doesn't work until it unfreezes), or using weapons during attacks; Leslie wheel animation stutters.
Uncheking indexedDB made it worse for me, especially after restarting browser. But checking it again yesterday made the usage lower, and the wheel animation was smooth.
However, today it got much worse, the wheel animation is awful. I got 3 freezes while attacking Fernando, the CPU usage wasn't even that high.
Edit: Scrolling missions description is stuttery, and sometimes switching mission makes it load slow to the point I see a white background for like a half a second.
Edit 2: It gets better after I click all missions. Then reloading the page makes it stuttery again, but only for a few seconds.
Pages load long sometimes; sometimes Torn freezes, like when doing crimes (there are three dots loading animation and can't do anything for a few seconds, reloading torn doesn't work until it unfreezes), or using weapons during attacks; Leslie wheel animation stutters.
Uncheking indexedDB made it worse for me, especially after restarting browser. But checking it again yesterday made the usage lower, and the wheel animation was smooth.
However, today it got much worse, the wheel animation is awful. I got 3 freezes while attacking Fernando, the CPU usage wasn't even that high.
Edit: Scrolling missions description is stuttery, and sometimes switching mission makes it load slow to the point I see a white background for like a half a second.
Edit 2: It gets better after I click all missions. Then reloading the page makes it stuttery again, but only for a few seconds.
I have the same on MacOS too although it's intermittent (Firefox).
It is however very noticeably a constant problem running both Firefox or Chrome in docker containers on my server so it doesn't seem to be just browser or OS specific in it's entirety.
It is however very noticeably a constant problem running both Firefox or Chrome in docker containers on my server so it doesn't seem to be just browser or OS specific in it's entirety.
It's probably chat. I disabled sendbird.com using ublick origin and it got back to normal.
i was starting to think it was my PC but now that i spotted this topic i guess im not alone. Although i am using FireFox, most noticeable pages are slots and pickpocket with the animation but my CPU spikes to 90% when just on the torn site any page.
This fixed it on MacBook Air M1 (8/8) 16GB MacOS Sonoma 14.0 (23A344)
Chat 1.0 also had some overhead but nowhere near this high.
When I apply a CPU/Memory limiter on my tabs it puts the tab to sleep immediately upon switching tabs - YouTube playing a 1080p video is staying playing.
Chat 1.0 also had some overhead but nowhere near this high.
When I apply a CPU/Memory limiter on my tabs it puts the tab to sleep immediately upon switching tabs - YouTube playing a 1080p video is staying playing.
Update, this works better than the above solution - You don't lose out on chat functionality.
It's entertaining to me that you need a recent generation computer to play a Text Based Browser game.
This should really get looked at. I don't know why Torn is such a bog on these player's computers, but it's a little absurd.
This should really get looked at. I don't know why Torn is such a bog on these player's computers, but it's a little absurd.
Similar problem on MS Edge (latest stable), without torntools or any additional scripts.
What else I noticed is that when I open a tab with torn (any page), I see not only increased CPU usage, but also unreasonably high usage of I/O resources for some time (10-30 seconds):
[image: i.postimg.cc]
As soon as I open a tab with any other website - all abnormal activity in the browser ends.
The problem is also reproduced in Google Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi. But it is not reproduced in Brave - the system load is always consistently low there.
specs:
[image: i.postimg.cc]
What else I noticed is that when I open a tab with torn (any page), I see not only increased CPU usage, but also unreasonably high usage of I/O resources for some time (10-30 seconds):
[image: i.postimg.cc]
As soon as I open a tab with any other website - all abnormal activity in the browser ends.
The problem is also reproduced in Google Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi. But it is not reproduced in Brave - the system load is always consistently low there.
specs:
[image: i.postimg.cc]
Page load times and the quantity of storage accessing that is happening seems excessive but then I don't know what ought to be the right amount. I would be interested to know what Torn admin and development staff view as appropriate amount.
I use Firefox on a PC and do not use additional scripts but looking in settings at site data, the torn.com site has 168 cookies using 47MB of storage. The quantity of MB used does not seem to be an issue but having as many cookies as that is concerning if they have to be accessed every time I open a new tab in Torn. I got to wonder if as many as that are really necessary.
I use Firefox on a PC and do not use additional scripts but looking in settings at site data, the torn.com site has 168 cookies using 47MB of storage. The quantity of MB used does not seem to be an issue but having as many cookies as that is concerning if they have to be accessed every time I open a new tab in Torn. I got to wonder if as many as that are really necessary.
Thu 15:05:03 - 14/12/23
Server: Pod45
I'm not sure what happened, but since 15:00 it seems to be back to normal.
Let's see how long it'll last.
Edit:
it's back to being sluggish and slow, heavy load
Server: Pod45
I'm not sure what happened, but since 15:00 it seems to be back to normal.
Let's see how long it'll last.
Edit:
it's back to being sluggish and slow, heavy load