Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chat is broken

Started by 2PieceCombo [1318766] on in Bugs & Issues.

4 replies · 66 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
12
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
30 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
2PieceCombo [1318766]
I'll keep this simple.. Chat is barely functional at least 50% of the time. I, like many others, use multiple tabs to play torn on browser. And chat simply does not work. Ill try to list out all the various issues I've experienced.
  • Different tabs show different chats - Not just different chat windows, some tabs only show messages from X amount of minutes ago. Some tabs will show current up to date chats, some wont show anything thats been sent in the last several minutes. Some tabs don't show new chats AT ALL. Some show certain messages I have sent, but not others. Literally any combination you can imagine..
  • "Connecting to server" Just all the damn time. Working one minute, then not.
  • Chats not sending. They show in the chat for a few seconds to a minute - then disappear like they never existed at all. Sometimes Ill send a series of messages, and the first one doesnt actually send, but the following ones do. Leading to much confusion in faction chat
  • Chat bar disappears completely! No joke, it just poofs out of existence. But again, only on some tabs. Happens at random.
  • Chat windows that I closed DAYS ago randomly pop back up for no reason. Sometimes just one, sometimes multiple.
Refreshing the page fixes SOME issues about 25% of the time. Usually I just have to wait for it to sort itself out. I've completely reset my browser - deleted cookies/cache/etc all time for all sites. Disabled extensions

I use Chrome, and the only extensions I have are TornTools (which ive also removed/reinstalled) and my password manager (Ublock Origin is installed but disabled for Torn)

I don't mean to shit on the team here, but Chat 2.0 is an absolute pile. It has cost us in wars when we are trying to coordinate and we cant communicate with each other because chat isnt working for one or more people. I know Im not the only one who has tons of issues with it. I just cant believe that this is an upgraded system. It has a few new "features" if you could really call them that.. But the tradeoff for these "features" was that the whole system barely functions? Original chat was 100000 times better and I would go back in a heartbeat if the option was available. I seriously question how this system was even allowed to go live, or persist being this broken and functionally useless. The worst part about this whole thing is that we have to use chat for warring/chaining, and not being able to reliably communicate with our team is infinitely frustrating. I beg with you guys, scrap this half-baked steaming pile and just go back to the old chat. I don't care about the "features" new chat has, because it's all worthless if it doesn't work consistently. Just please do something before I lose the little remaining sanity I have left...
2PieceCombo [1318766]
Also to add a few things I forgot...
  • Clicking the chat button on someone's profile to open a chat only works.. occasionally. Usually the first 1-3 times I press it, it does nothing.
  • On mobile you cannot scroll up in chat, the entire page scrolls up instead. Only way around this is to zoom the page all the way out so the page cannot scroll up anymore, but then chat is too small to read.
  • When I receive a new chat it will SOMETIMES pop up on the tab I'm currently in - but not show in other tabs (even not even show in the 'chats' section. Other times new chat's will pop in a tab I'm, not currently in, and I will miss it completely until I happen to go to that tab and see a message.
  • Sometimes a chat window will popup when someone sends me a chat, however the message won't actually be there, just an empty chat window, and several seconds/minutes later it will decide to show.
Almost every player I have talked to about chat has experienced one (but usually more) of these issues. The fact that this has gone on for months now is beyond comprehension and makes me wonder how how much yall really care. Any system that works so poorly should be IMMEDIETALY pulled from production. Chat is the core method of communication in this game, you'd think something would have been done by now, or just scrapped the entire mess completely. PLEASE do SOMETHING....
Helmstetter [2272097]
I can confirm that multiple tabs is a HUGE issue. Since my faction is on a training break, I've been playing in a single tab almost exclusively for the past week or so. With a single tab, chat has very few issues, as long as I don't click a link in the middle if typing something. If the the devs are troubleshooting with a single tab open, I can see how they might think it is working smoothly.

TornTools is not the problem as I use Chrome (w/TornTools) primarily, but I also keep Firefox open with the City map in full-window mode. If I drop full window mode, I'll see tabs that I've closed days or weeks ago, and chat that I've closed in Chrome (i.e. Faction chat) will reopen on Firefox.

Devs: PLEASE test chat with multiple tabs open and across multiple browsers. If these issues persist once we start RWing again, I can see it being an extreme impediment unless we just rig all our RWs and restrict communication to the inbox.
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
We are already aware of all of the issues that you have mentioned, these are all under development/QA. I have linked you to the relevant reports. Updates on each of the fixes will be posted in the respective reports.

Different tabs show different chats - Confirmed report

"Connecting to server" Just all the damn time / Chats not sending - This is due to the silent rate limit that Sendbird is applying, there's already a fix for this in place, which we will be deploying today.

Chat windows that I closed DAYS ago randomly pop back up for no reason - Confirmed report

Clicking the chat button on someone's profile to open a chat only works - Confirmed report

On mobile you cannot scroll up in chat - There's a report on it here, if you are able to provide a screen recording, you can post it in the existing report

When I receive a new chat it will SOMETIMES pop up on the tab I'm currently in - Same issue as point #1

Sometimes a chat window will popup when someone sends me a chat, however the message won't actually be there, just an empty chat window - Confirmed report

Thanks!

Mentions: [Chat 2.0] Closed chat windows repeatedly pop up · [Chat 2.0] Unsynchronised across tabs · Chat scrolling back · Chats sent and recieved are not showing. · Private chat doesn't appear

2PieceCombo [1318766]
So the conclusion is "we know chat is a broken flaming pile of trash, but suck it up and use it anyway"

Awesome... 2 of those havent been posted in in over a month. So we're just expected to use a completely broken system that so negatively affects our ability to PLAY the game? This is not really an acceptable answer IMO.. I work in IT, and if a company ever rolled out such a broken system, it would be scrapped immediately and jobs would be lost. If you acknowledge that the system is this broken, and in WELL over a month nothing has been done to fix it, I think maybe it's time to admit you guys f**ked up and pull it til you figure it out behind the scenes. We should not have to be your beta testers on a function so critical to the game. All for what? profile pics on the chats and a few extra buttons? Chat 2.0 would have been a total letdown if it WORKED. How can you possibly justify this complete dumpster fire when all it really did was add some things can barely be called features?

What a joke...