Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Make Swear Filter Optional

Started by Nexus [105937] on in Suggestions.

38 replies · 423 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 39 / 39 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
39
Discussion span
→
Authority score
51 / 100
Historical score
31 / 100
Story score
49 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Nexus [105937]
It seems kind of ridiculous to me and many others, that in a crime game of all the things "swearing" is heavily policed as an issue.

If people want to be little snowflakes, let them opt-in to a filter, and let others express themselves whatever they want.

Obviously targeted harassment, calling someone the N-word or something else reprehensible like that should be policed by the Mods/Admins.

But the random use of extremely expressive words, or gifs/memes with "cuss words" in it hurts nobody, it's 2023 ffs, not 1927.
Beerstein [1322136]
I mean the F word being censored is ridiculous when much worse words and even racism isn't but mods are racist so it is what it is. Them allowing stuff like calling others "mong" regularly shows they'd allow other racist terms if they could get away with it without more backlash.

Almost all usage of the F word isn't even directly insulting, unlike "mong" where its only use is a racially charged insult. I mean Ched only removed the Nazi flag cause pushback, let's be real here.

TL;DR Mods are racist and the censored F word is about E-peen power. It'll never change, has nothing to do with right or wrong which is why things are in such a weird place. Would they allow the N word if they thought they could get away with it? Better bet your ass they would.
AshleyT [1432316]
Torn is supposed to be PG-13 but the filter being optional would be a big QoL improvement.

On a personal note, I'm much more likely to report someone if I actually know what they said compared to censored symbols. I've seen far too many overzealous filters to feel particularly inclined to assume the worst when I see censorship.

The bigger question would be how complicated would it be to actually implement this. Chat 2.0 has been quite spaghetti code on the user end so far. No idea what it looks like dev side, but a filter that only applies if a setting is turned on or off might be more complicated than first thought.
Nexus [105937]
The suggestion is to basically allow swearing of all kinds as the default (remove the rules regarding "cuss words", and have the filter be opt-in for special snowflakes that get hurt by words.

If any of the code is even vaguely well constructed, it shouldn't be hard at all. I haven't seen the code, but considering they have paid developers and it's 2023, I'm going to assume you're using "spagetti code" wrongly just to mean Chat 2.0 is a bug filled mess.

But if the code is dogs**t, then everything is hard. But its filtered somewhere, so they should change the implementation.

Iirc a few years ago Ched mentioned they'd undertaken a massive refactoring effort to de-spagetti-fy the codebase, so I'm assuming its all nicely modular and such now.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Would they allow the N word if they thought they could get away with it? Better bet your ass they would.

Yikes buddy, this says more about you when that's where your mind went, and missing the point entirely when the OP is literally asking for that... No.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
@ OP

This isn't really feasible, and to keep the filter is a significantly easier undertaking for moderation purposes as it allows for a consistent set of guidelines to work with, rather than getting a bit more wishy washy with it.
Nexus [105937]
Swearing = Allowed

Using words to abuse people = Not allowed

There's some even more simple to apply guidelines.
Beerson [1576144]
No need to slander my brother Beer because you lack experience with people, just try playing Rust, or any other open mic game on that note, you'll see that people will use the N word at any opportunity if they feel they won't get punished, luckily most use it for "comedic effect" from my personal experience. And I'm willing to admit that a naked running past your base screaming the N word while simulating the Doppler effect is funny the first couple of times, but then, racism isn't a thing where I live so I never found it that offensive in the first place.

On the topic, screw censorship, people who force censorship are pathetic individuals.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Well I thank people for proving my point immediately by jumping on this thread to be wanting rid of the filters to say the N word for "comedic effect", a fact upvoted by the OP. Sounds like we'd better keep the filter, thanks OP.
Beerson [1576144]
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]
The term "mong" originates from and relates to "mongoloid" which is a term for disability that affects one's mental faculties and often warps their face in a way that resembles the facial features of mongol people, hence the name. It is not a racist term and I would say that anyone who purposely tries to paint it as such is malicious. That's not me saying you're malicious with it, you're just mislead here.
Beerson [1576144]
I do not appreciate your attempt to twist my point here.

21:15:10 - 30/12/23 You disliked bogie's post in Make Swear Filter Optional in Suggestions : Well I thank people for proving my point immedi…
Nexus [105937]
I think you misread the N word comment.

That would fall under the "using words to attack people" clause I mentioned.
Chuck_Norris [2544593]
Basically how I interpret this is having an additional level of filtering.

Words that are never uncensored.

Words that can be optionally censored (can turn on and off).

Words that are never censored.

Makes sense to me, just a matter of how the categories are defined and how much additional resource it would then consume to police and deliberate when you no doubt will have people question why specific words are or are not in each list.
FatherCE0 [2192587]
See this is what I always been saying I can say “retard” in global but if I say (as a British person) I am going out for a fag I get in load of trouble. I think just like how retard is it should be delt with the way the player says it. If I was calling a gay person it fair enough give me all the warning/bans. If I am saying it as I am going out for one. Why the issue. Before anyone go well it’s homophobic I am Bi and I had actual homophobic attacks. I don’t care if my mates/famliy/strangers say they are going out for a fag I know it means a smoke.calling me one is different that is homophobic. :)

edit: felt into delt and added a smiley face :)
Beerson [1576144]
Very true, intent and context are always more important then the word itself.

To pile in on the wonders of brittish language, I could say "have a gay fag", wishing you to enjoy your smoking break.

I could also berate you for your sexuality without using a single offensive word if I was inclined that way, or berate you in a friendly context, as male friends often do to eachother in real life. Context and intent is always important.
Marky_ [2178899]
Since when was mong a racist word? What do you think mong means?

edit: after research I see it was historically used a racial slur, though it no longer refers to that group of people
Chuck_Norris [2544593]
Just cos you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean it's not offensive.

Context and intent are part of the equation but they're not excuses.