Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Level holding

Started by boszak [3155705] on in Questions & Answers.

27 replies · 1.33k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
66 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

boszak [3155705]
I'm a very young level 18 I would like to know if it's in my best interest to hold my level? Pros and cons basically.
boszak [3155705]
Thanks flare. Yes I hope I get some level holders perspective. I've unlocked everything I need as of now I'm pretty sure.
Fermion [2691036] Officer Officer
Personally, I see little point in level holding. Are there any goals you have that will be achieved better by level holding?
boszak [3155705]
The only goal I can see level holding is you get gym experience that others don't know that your level holding. Training I've noticed takes alot of time. But it seems so many others hold there level if you don't your at an extreme disadvantage. In the gym I mean.
Chuck_Norris [2544593]
I think what you're trying to say is that people level hold so that other players understimate their stats based on level and attack them.

Unless you're attacking like crazy and not working on your stats, that old myth of 'but you'll become a levelling target' is complete bullshit.

If you're really worried about this, then just keep your Battlestat Rank and Level Rank the same.

HP is the 5th battlestat so it's worth levelling up.
KOMODO [2762875]
if you are level holding and having high battlestats, people will more likely to try to attack you, and if you win you can get easy title, like mine
boszak [3155705]
Thank you Chuck. So you don't recommend level holding? I dig that, I'll go natural and level up normally thank you for your advice
SkellyWoog [2697665]
I would add

Pros
- add low level holders probably get busted/bailed out of jail quicker.
- you will get more defends if your stats are higher than your level

Cons
- less life (+1 to the wiki)
- less merits (+1 to the wiki)
- with torn stats and checking xans taken, you won't fool more experienced players.


Considering all the above, I'd still rather be a tough low level than a squishy high level.

Have enough level so you don't get regularly one-shotted.
JackKelly [2271177]
Level holding doesn't affect your gym gains. However as your level increases so does your hp (life). Life, as they say, is the fifth battle stat. so you are not as effective in a fight as you potentially could be, by level holding.

The only benefit to it, is after a long time of training your stats, you will be a lot stronger but appear weaker. So you will get a lot more defends from people that either don't know how or don't have time to check your personal stats before attacking. this however takes a very long time to get to and any half ass decent player can spot a level holder.

All that being said, there is no harm in level holding under certain circumstances. For example, if you feel you are starting to get a little weak for your level, then level hold until your stats catch up.
Qfiffle [2557282] Committee Committee
Almost all the level holders I know who say they did it to get easy defends have fewer defends than the people who levelled up naturally. Or at most it got them maybe 100 or so they wouldn't have got otherwise. 100 defends costs $30m to buy. Definitely not worth being unable to hold your own against similar stats targets with more HP just to get $30m worth of free losses.

I can defeat people with 3-4 times my stats if they level held at anything under 60 or so. If you plan to war at all, or if you don't want to be an easy mug target, don't hold.
boszak [3155705]
Thank you qfiffle. I'm not trying to get defends I attacked alot to get to 15. Since then I've just been training. Saving attacks for wars in my faction.
Kwack [2190604]
The 5th stat is a joke, they're talking about Life (which doesn't go up when you hold).

Level holding will become debilitating the longer you do it, as targets with lower stats will be able to one-shot you regularly. With my <700 health a HEG in the first turn often settled the battle before I even get my turn.

Lots of players will talk about free losses and stuff, I just do it for the novelty of it.

The only time it truly makes logical sense to level hold is to make sure your level doesn't extend too far beyond your stats (you don't want to become a leveling target for someone else).
boszak [3155705]
Thank you kwack. It honestly didn't make sense to me either but I thought I better ask. Appreciate you taking the time to help
Stephen_Lynx [2869110]
At lvl 18? No. Wait at least until you are lvl 50 and get the triple merit. You don't want to keep leveling uncontrollably or you will get farmed by people trying to get lvl 100.