Hello all, I just got accepted to the Environmental Engineering Masters and would like to share my story and experience.
I mainly graduated from Molecular Biology & Genetics almost 4 years ago. Life happens and people change so I decided to go with Environmental Engineering and build a career on it.
So basically, first we had a written exam. Since my main expertise is not in this field, my test was different than others who studied Environmental Engineering. Written exam included 5 questions.
1-General knowledge about environmental pollution, define it and list the types/causes.
2-What should be the physical, chemical and biological factors for drinking water?
3-How is the electric cars effect environment. Define pros/cons.
4-What is zero waste? What are the steps?
5-What are the energy sources? Which one do you prefer to use and why?
Those were the questions and the duration was 90 mins. I left the room within the first 25 mins.
After a couple of hours the interviews started. There were 7 people on the line and I was the 6th. Everyone going in and getting out with negative results and my heart was about to crush cause I don’t like waiting. Makes me nervous. Anyway my turn came up and I got in the interview room.
4 professors, lined up against me, they started asking questions right away.
Overall, questions included;
Who are you and why are you here?
What did you study in your Bachelors?
Why did you move in here?(I was living in another city for the past 25 years and only recently moved here)
What are your aims?
What do you wanna work on?(Pollution types etc)
Do you have a project?(I had one about filtering systems on a biological base)
Then they started asking tons of questions about my project, that was the hardest part, to satisfy them.
-Is it sustainable?
-Pros/cons
-Mass production?
-Explain each step and how it works. Etc.
Why should we accept you among the other Env. Engineers? What can you bring in this field?
Why our university? Why not another one?
(A good reason can be to work with one of the academic staff, so check everyone and their fields, read their articles and take notes before you go)
Are you working? Can you keep up the both edu and work?
Those are all I remember at the moment. I’ve been to many interviews, seminars and projects but this one was the far by the hardest one. If you ever be in a similar situation, especially if you are changing fields, make sure you can bring something up, get their interest and know the details of your work.
That’s pretty much it, thanks for reading so far and wish me luck fellas! And if you have any questions feel free to send them in, I’ll try my best to answer.
I mainly graduated from Molecular Biology & Genetics almost 4 years ago. Life happens and people change so I decided to go with Environmental Engineering and build a career on it.
So basically, first we had a written exam. Since my main expertise is not in this field, my test was different than others who studied Environmental Engineering. Written exam included 5 questions.
1-General knowledge about environmental pollution, define it and list the types/causes.
2-What should be the physical, chemical and biological factors for drinking water?
3-How is the electric cars effect environment. Define pros/cons.
4-What is zero waste? What are the steps?
5-What are the energy sources? Which one do you prefer to use and why?
Those were the questions and the duration was 90 mins. I left the room within the first 25 mins.
After a couple of hours the interviews started. There were 7 people on the line and I was the 6th. Everyone going in and getting out with negative results and my heart was about to crush cause I don’t like waiting. Makes me nervous. Anyway my turn came up and I got in the interview room.
4 professors, lined up against me, they started asking questions right away.
Overall, questions included;
Who are you and why are you here?
What did you study in your Bachelors?
Why did you move in here?(I was living in another city for the past 25 years and only recently moved here)
What are your aims?
What do you wanna work on?(Pollution types etc)
Do you have a project?(I had one about filtering systems on a biological base)
Then they started asking tons of questions about my project, that was the hardest part, to satisfy them.
-Is it sustainable?
-Pros/cons
-Mass production?
-Explain each step and how it works. Etc.
Why should we accept you among the other Env. Engineers? What can you bring in this field?
Why our university? Why not another one?
(A good reason can be to work with one of the academic staff, so check everyone and their fields, read their articles and take notes before you go)
Are you working? Can you keep up the both edu and work?
Those are all I remember at the moment. I’ve been to many interviews, seminars and projects but this one was the far by the hardest one. If you ever be in a similar situation, especially if you are changing fields, make sure you can bring something up, get their interest and know the details of your work.
That’s pretty much it, thanks for reading so far and wish me luck fellas! And if you have any questions feel free to send them in, I’ll try my best to answer.