Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Discord image hosting

Started by Mewtwo [874064] on in Graveyard.

25 replies · 222 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 26 / 26 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
26
Discussion span
→
Authority score
40 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
55 / 100
Engagement score
62 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mewtwo [874064]
Just a quick post, sorry!
The discord update times image links out after around 2 weeks, with that said if you've purchased something off me please DM me and I'll sort out hosting it on a new site and resend it to you :)
Ygaria_Varr [2811829]
Yes.....this.

It definitely isn't just you that this is affecting!

Can everyone please be aware that if you host your art on discord it will crash and burn leaving us poor art lovers with a broken image or a stream of word salad instead of beautiful art stuff!
Mewtwo [874064]
I use Imgur when I'm on my laptop but the app isn't very good for mobile, doesn't give me full links and I travel a lot so don't always have access to my laptop
Fluffy-Kitten [2489078]
Make sure you invoice your customers weekly for your image hosting services + admin fees
Ygaria_Varr [2811829]
Bit snarky.

Players buy art for pixel money; they don't rent it, so losing access to it after a fortnight or a month because the hosting site has deleted it is unacceptable.

A lot of players play on mobile where storage is limited, so downloading everything isn't always practical.

It's in the Artist's own interests to save their artwork securely on a safe hosting site to prevent art theft.

I would imagine that free image hosting sites exist.
Ultr4Vi0let [2887202]
I always, always, save the art I purchase from other artists and upload it somewhere safe myself. Just in case. Also because I don't expect them to host stuff for all their customers. I purchase the art, not the hosting. Never crossed my mind. Not only here, in other games i've played too. Someone made art for me, I would keep it safe. IRL if you buy art what do you do?
Ygaria_Varr [2811829]
If I buy art on here it's like buying a print of an artwork in a run of 1; I still don't own the original piece, it belongs to the artist, but I get to have my name on it and have the sole use of it on here.

If I owned it outright and the artist had no saved copy of it, what's to stop me changing the colour pallet, adding a cat, putting my name to it and calling it my work? Yes, I'd get called out on it, but where's the proof if it hasn't been saved by the artist?

I do expect artists to host and save their own art; not mainly for their customers, but for them, as a record.

If I buy a painting IRL and I get up and see an empty frame hanging on my wall two weeks later I'm going to be hacked off regardless.

Saying I should've got an alarm and a better security system wouldn't make me feel any better.

Also it isn't just me this is happening to by any means; Champion was sporting a broken forum sig this afternoon and so are many, many others.
Truc [2680004]
Agreed, it's always a good idea for the purchaser to download and self host.

I provide a link to the buyer to do that, but I'm not guaranteeing a hosting service.

My host might change their policy and links break
My host might close down
My host might have uptime issues or policies I don't agree with and I close my account
My host might start charging and I don't agree
I might stop playing the game and not be contactable for a new link

I don't think any buyer should depend on the artist to host their profile images or forum sigs
Sectory [2093611]
It's the buyers own discretion whether to self host or not. I provide a link to where I'll host them, and keep it the psd on my ssd till it dies. If they need a new copy I'll simply grab it.
LSD [1764304]
just use Orans website. ever since he introduced it to me its the only thing i use.

https://i.oran.pw/index.php
CAVE_JOHNSON [2573449]
I do not use art for my profile stuff, but thank you so much for telling me. I use discord images for a lot of links, and if I did not know about this problems would probably arise.
KingABz [1564719]
It is not the artists duty to host it somewhere that guarantees lifetime access. I sold about 3k sigs in my life, if you expect me to keep 3k PSDs in case you ask me one day you're high.

You're paying me for the file, you're not paying me to host it on a free website- you should always save the file so you have what you paid for forever.

Remember imageshack? I uploaded about 300 in a month and exceeded the bandwith limit. Do I pay for the premium service so I had unlimited bandwith so customers link never breaks? Remember photo bucket? People stopped playing Torn for a couple years, come back and find their whole profile has been wiped because the original uploader didnt pay for the premium service. Can customers say "Hey photobucket changed their whole business model, now reupload the original file elsewhere even though its been 2 years"

Fluffy-Kitten is right if you want me to hold the original file for you on a separate external hardrive or a cloud you'll get an invoice for yearly renewal xD I've given you your file, why are you not saving it?
Nexus [105937]
Why use two different services? Genuinely curious, better resolution on imgur or?

Ive been using ImgBB for years for all types.