Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Education ended bug

Started by JKE [2409794] on in Bugs & Issues.

10 replies · 319 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 11 / 11 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
11
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
11
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
5
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
45 / 100
Story score
46 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100

Most-liked replies

JKE [2409794]
Hello everyone,

Came across a bug where I had an event stating that I had completed an education course when that doesn't seem to be the case.

[image: i.imgur.com]

Spoke to a member of staff, have been asked to refresh icons within settings.

[image: i.imgur.com]

My past logs in regards to education - as you can see I completed a course 5 days ago and started a new one the same day that would take 9d 1h 43m to complete (minus any job points I decide to use)
[image: i.imgur.com]

Strange right?
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
I think this may have been caused by a separate development environment unintentionally triggering the event on the live environment for you. I'll investigate.
TomDB [2875675]
Just walked away and I was thinking on this to see if I did anything differently to help you debug (realised I'd given a really vague bug report and I hate it when someone gives me a really vague bug report).

I may have signed up for a new course before I got the notification through saying the one I'd started had finished...

My log times say differently but I feel pretty sure (99%) the notification was delayed and it was relatively soon after I'd used hairdressing job points to reduce my education duration.
ThunderBlitz [2684774]
Had this issue today, so figured I'd give this a bump with my own report, since I couldn't see this one prior to posting my own thread.

[image: i.imgur.com]

As you can see, the event occurred this afternoon (roughly an hour into a flight to South Africa), while the Bachelor course is already well underway.
JKE [2409794]

Hey Guys,

 

Thought I would add that I had this bug again, but a double notification 1hr 30m apart.

 

Thinking its something to do with using the job points within a hair salon (Cutting Corners) - thinking this due to users who have commented on this all being in the same job? 

 

Maybe the the events are being triggered from the default time a course would end excluding the use of job points?

 

 

Cheers!

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

Aha, bit of a weird issue. Here's what's happening...

- The event notifications are set when the education begins, with a timestamp of when the education will complete.

- These notifications are then sent when the timestamp is < the current time, via a minutely cron. 

- When using Cutting Corners to reduce the education time, the notification time is updated to the new time. The update changes the notification with the oldest ID, limited to 1 row updated.

So... If a user completes their education course, and before receiving the event notification, starts a new education course, they'll have two pending notifications. If they then immediately go to use Cutting Corners during the short window while they have two pending notifications, it will instead update the oldest one, setting that to the most recent education's new time. They'll then be left with two notifications for the next education course completion, at two different times.

- I have ensured only the most recent delayed notification is updated, instead of the oldest.
- I'm clearing out the unnecessary pending delayed notification when starting a new course, so a player will never have two at the same time

Thanks!