Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Binary Value Vs Applied Value

Started by Flak [2091491] on in General Discussion.

64 replies · 1.29k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 65 / 65 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
65
Discussion span
→
Authority score
38 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
58 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Flak [2091491]
Maybe better put:


The inherent 'worthless' nature of Immaterial 1's and 0's

Versus

The applied
value given by Time, Effort and Sentiment


--------------------------------

TLDR - How do you value the game? My thoughts shifted a lot recently, But I'm more towards seeing it as 1's and 0's. Poll at bottom V V V

--------------------------------


The recent debacle involving that person who took a lot of Torn Dollars and the other people that lost a lot of Torn Dollars...


It had me thinking a lot and made me realise a few things. Though I love this game and certainly value its content in some sense. I believe I massively undervalued it in some ways too:

- I think I was about a 10x off in terms of how much value groups hold when looking at the RL cost of Dps. Where I thought the larger families were maybe holding $100,000 or so between their members. It seems it is likely closer to $1,000,000 in some cases. Quite possibly more.

- I also realise that not everyone sees it as I do. Many do not distinguish between 'things that give them literal real world value' and 'things that they personally hold dear'


--------------------------------


I do understand sentimental value and even have a bit of it myself. But with Torn, I have mostly focussed on the people and have seen it as "just a set of scores" like you'd find in a game like pac-man. I cannot extract something of "literal value" from this game, so I separated it from real world things like money and food. After all, the people and the ability to play remains even if I lose everything.
So I don't think I was wrong. Not entirely.


On the flip side, the sentimental/effort/time value side. I would never steal a dirty old raggedy childhood blanket off a friend or stranger. Despite the fact that everyone would agree it has no "literal value". It clearly may mean the world to them and I get that, I have a couple of silly little nick-nacks I'd prefer to keep. But I hadn't properly applied that kind of value to torn. I didn't see it.


--------------------------------


With all that said, I'd like to know where everyone else stands on this scale?


Is it all just One's and Zero's, Disposable 'Value'?

Or

Is it of Great Importance, Because all value is what we apply to it.


---------------------------------------


I better see the difference now. I was genuinely shocked that more weren't in my camp. But it seems a lot of people have their sentiments strongly rooted in this digital land of ours. I wouldn't have taken the 'worthless' 1's and 0's (short of major reasoning), I don't like upsetting people and I at least understood that much. But I will now be taking extra care not to damage, dirty or tear those comfort blankets other players hold dear.

(To be clear, I do not mean that to be demeaning, I have utmost respect for comfort blankets, metaphor or otherwise)
mallacoota2 [2093006]
The big debacle with me is that, This is just a video game a bunch of random 1s and 0s and if I were to get hospd or mugged for a couple of million I wouldn't care too much. But if I were to lose everything I would be pretty distraught, but not due to my torn money number going down to 0$ it would be all the time I've spend that is real and does translate to real life successes.

So If you believe that TORN is a waste or "disposable value" then do you not value your time? the hundreds of hours you've put into the game that could've been spent doing anything else? As some people would say "something better"?

I'm curious what you think when you view down my lens. (just to clarify I'm leaning more to the side of it being disposable)
Flak [2091491]
If you volunteer to help a charity, And they don't say ty or pay you afterwards. Did you lose your time and effort?
mallacoota2 [2093006]
I see what your saying... I guess it's really up to what you get satisfaction from. Knowing you've done it or (which im sure most people view charity this way but torn is a bit different) being able to see what you've done and look back with pride.
Hamr [2027992]
None, the scale doesn't fit my opinion.

I just do crimes, be amused at drama, and occasionally aspire to complete a goal.

I don't concieve of torn in either direction on the scale.
Flak [2091491]
Yeah, I'm not rushing to put it to the test.... But i think i could part with everything and still enjoy playing. I imagine that may be harder for those at the other end of the scale.
Flak [2091491]
AH, You Aspire to Achieve a goal.... That isn't applied Value? >_>

So you'd get no sense of achievement if you meet your aspiration?
Flak [2091491]
Everyone has their off days, I moaned at Bogie yesterday.... not the best move over something so small....

And that one is often a good meme tbf (but i agree with ya)
Hamr [2027992]
Applied value by time and effort implies the value goes up with investment. Which it doesn't for me.

Lots of my time has been spent coasting without really doing anything. It's a game I routinely press buttons on, but has its own subjective place for me.
mallacoota2 [2093006]
Yeah 100%. But I almost see TORN as building a house for example, the game is a long con for sure. If you get half way through building your house and suddenly it blows over, you won't sit and be happy that at least you got a couple floorboards down.. I feel like TORN is different compared to a lot of things because the amount of effort and overall time that has to be put in to make a difference.

So would you continue to play if you for example got set back to the start and every person on torn was changed to a new one and nothing about it was quite the same? (im sure u would cuz ur a dedicated sob but im curious lol)
Flak [2091491]
Can you describe how you value it? Genuinely curious. I think maybe you missed what i tried to describe. But maybe i failed to describe it properly.

I thought I'd well covered the spectrum. But happy to be convinced otherwise! (Probs won't make another thread tho)
Hamr [2027992]
Most of any reason why I care is the community and sociology of Torn. I value it sorta the same way as an ant farm.