Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Binary Value Vs Applied Value

Started by Flak [2091491] on in General Discussion.

64 replies · 1.29k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 65 / 65 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Flak [2091491]
Ah, not quite.. not imo. To use your metaphor. I have been making the blanket. But its been a fun passtime. No pricked fingers. No tears, all hand woven yes.

But making it has been fun, i wouldn't need the blanket. It could get stolen and i'd just have the pleasure of making another ;)
xMrPink [221113]
I guess for me, I started playing when I was young, I’m now an adult. On reflection, there’s value from torn in some of the experiences I’ve had as a result of it and how that’s developed me as an individual. As well as some general tech knowledge/skills I picked up in my teens that I’d never have bothered learning otherwise. And then the close connection I have made with others, who have given me advice outside of torn.

But, you could take Torn away now and all that I truly value would remain, and I’m still in contact with friends that no longer play etc.

From a time perspective, I don’t see it as much as a time-cost yet as I still play (despite going inactive multiple times). As torn is still here, it’s the same game. It’s not like a AAA game for example, where you play it for a year maybe then shelf it for a newer game.
Flak [2091491]
Can i have my money back now? You never did boot Abdullah!

Besides that R+ (and i'll let you out my enemies pen. Its been long enough)
Robbo [1826175]
To an extent, but would you consider your net worth as a great accomplishment? Its easy to lose something that isnt of value. People can play the same game but have wildly different objectives, some people play skyrim for the rpg element and role play while some want a machine gun mod to hose dragons.

Some people play torn for the social aspect alone and dont care for the game elements at all, some people will see net worth as a vital element for long term growth.

So its hard to quantify whats valuable when everyone plays for such different reasons. One players entire torn life might be their net worth. The reason I spoke against faction scams is because I respect the time we spent in the game contributing to shared goals, I couldnt betray that time like it meant nothing. Because to me it was great fun and forms the basis for why I play.

Hobbies come and go, but I would never consider the time as wasted. If Lat considers her 400 days as wasted then why is she still here. Why would anyone do a hobby they have decided is a waste of time is beyond me.
Flak [2091491]
I got to HOF with a 2.5 mil respect faction back when it meant something.

When i sold it to BB, I split the cash between all the good ones (Its called InsurreXtion now). Don't be so quick to assume dude. I just needed a break. Back now!

(And doing it the long way this time, 5k and up baby!)
Robbo [1826175]
Quick to assume what?

If we're talking about placing value on in game items, you saying you dont care about losing your entire networth is totally without context if we dont understand how much value you place on it.

Youre judging people for being overly attached to in-game stuff so was curious if you actually valued your own networth, considering how nonchalantly you contemplate its loss.

It sounds like you enjoy the game for the games sake, so would be understandable why you wouldnt care about individual elements, considering the enjoyment comes from playing the game. As appose to accomplishments or other aspects that other players might value. Like nw for example.

So just because you dont care about nw, reaching 100 bil might be the sole reason someone else plays so they will naturally be intensely protective of their nw.
Flak [2091491]
One of the reasons i needed a break is because we lost SOMEONE of value, Leukaemia. I was a tad naïve and ill prepared. It was hard.

RIP Midgetdance!


Way too young, Started off as a perpetual mugger of noob me, Became a friend and great member.

Don't you worry about me and my sense of value. But ty for your thoughts all the same X
Flak [2091491]
"To an extent, but would you consider your net worth as a great accomplishment? Its easy to lose something that isnt of value."

"If Lat considers her 400 days as wasted then why is she still here."

The seeming assumptions
Robbo [1826175]
I have no clue what youre on about now

I thought we were talking about real value vs perceived value of torn items as per your op?

The f**k, You totally lost me, why did you make this thread?
Flak [2091491]
Sorry you got uncomfortable and don't understand. But don't worry, your input isn't required. Totally optional. Appreciated all the same.

(Edit- You chose to read 'items', i spoke of general game value. The ones and zeros, the items and the people represented by them and those invested in them. I was somewhat vague with wording though, so its understandable)
Robbo [1826175]
No, you come across as a bit deranged after I asked if you valued your own netowrth, thats all. So is this about ones and zeroes, sentimental value or about lost friends ya nutcase lol?

I was interested in a thought experiment for value of games and people in them, ingame items and time spent/wasted on gaming versus "being productive" as you said in the op, but I'm not interested in whatever this is becoming now so good luck with it
Flak [2091491]
Jog on


Edit: Robbo88 disliked your thread...

So weak, dislike a comment and go for the thread you already chose not to dislike... says much
Flak [2091491]
Bahahahahha


Not even the fact i paid a small chunk to try get him booted? Still not too surprised tbh

RickSanchezC137 at your service!


Me and him patched things up in the end, but it was a long gruelling road. My errr 'incredible' bounty stats are thanks to him and my visit to top 10 bounties and revives received (in under 1 year of play, f**k yeah)


Was long ago, and im guessing Mentos kept ya busy. No offense taken here.
Lat [1187876]
Those days are for sure wasted. But they were fun.
But seeing 400 days makes me wish I'd done anything else.

I feel the same way about most games I've ever played, my steam and Xbox/PlayStation history just show me I've wasted a lot of time on video games hahaha. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't stopped me irl I've still accomplished a lot there too, but y'know id rather have a third/fourth/fifth language than have ever turned on a console pahaha.

I'd probably assume most folks baulk when they see their play time and wish they'd done something else, but maybe not, I could just be mental as plenty are telling me ahahaha.
Flak [2091491]
How can you say 'wasted' while having fond memories? Maybe mostly wasted. But I'd bet some of it has to count for something.


Dire: 401d 19h 8m 28s - In half your game age ;)


But at least 20 minutes of that was spent well. I even had a chunk of time off.... I'm a pretty steadfast determinist though, makes regrets and 'what ifs' very hard to give weight to.
Nexus [105937]
Discussing binary... Also: "My thoughts shifted a lot recently"...

I think that was the best unintentional pun ever bro.
Robbo [1826175]
Says the guy getting butthurt because I asked if they value their networth as an in-game asset and assumes Im making some joke at their peasant status and then proceeds to downvote every post I made here.

Get a grip you lunatic. If you dont want a discussion of differing views then why does the thread exist. Hence why I downvoted the thread and not your deranged replies.
Flak [2091491]
Bahahahaha

Was way over my own head with that one >_<



Edited Explanation:

In computer talk, "shifting" means moving the pieces of a binary number.

So "My thoughts shifted a lot recently,"

Means both that in a literal sense and works as suggesting my thoughts are binary numbers changing value as if in a computer.

(On a personal note, I'm probably an element of an AI and one of 'us humans' that seriously gives weight to that as a significant probability)


So yeah, Hilarious accident. Ty Nexus!!