Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torn Newsletter Archive

Started by Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor on in General Discussion.

23 replies · 1.2k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
56 / 100
Story score
68 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Shindig [865748] ×1 Callaghan [1316121] ×1 Apnea [1532667] ×1

Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor

About a month ago I came across a bunch of the first Torn newsletters in my email inbox. I posted a poll here in GD asking what to do with them and while the response was positive, there wasn't much discussion on the one newsletter I had posted.

I've come to the conclusion that one thread per newsletter would be overkill. I thought about maybe one thread per year of newsies, but that didn't feel right either. So I chose to just dump what newsletters I have in a Google Drive folder, and those who care to read and discuss them can do so in this thread. Of course, everyone's invited to participate in the discussion: Torn historians, Nostalgia junkies, Crispy arthritic old coots, and even those who are younger IRL than these newsletters provided they're not breaking TOS by being here.

I have skimmed some of these and there is really interesting content, from early Crimes 2.0 concepts to Chess and old community events and competitions.

Anyway here's the drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qijSVEzXgzvnPECyJJisvBi501nZu_IU?usp=sharing

Happy reading!

Mentions: The OG Torn City Newsletters (1. Winter 2011)

Bubble77 [3182038]
hi cheesus,

thank you for this,i'm enjoying reading these old newsletters,
seeing how all in torn has changed over the years,
brillaint post ,thank you x
Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor
Think I was on it just long enough to get the merit and the goodie bag. It shut down shortly after. Not sure you missed out on too much, at least in the experiences department. I recall it feeling a bit like a mafia wars clone.
Fuckery [2653035]
Fair point, I just wish I got to see Torn back in the day, I feel spoiled with what we have now since I only discovered the game almost 4 years ago.
Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor
I have expanded the drive to include all newsletters up to the most recent! ... That is, barring the ones I'm missing. I also added a list of which one's I am missing. If you have any of these newsletters still, I would appreciate a copy
Hogfather [330973]
So for the sake of archiving, bit busy right now so I can't really archive anything other than a quick copy paste plain text.

I think I have all the newsletters you're missing.

So if nobody else can provide them before me, I do have them and can share them with you if nobody has done so by next week?
Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor
That'd be great! I have just been printing them to PDF from my email. Would you be willing to forward them to my email? I will take care to remove your email address/name if it would come up in the printout.

Far as timeline goes, this thread isn't going anywhere, take your time!
Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor
Thanks to Shindig we now have two new newsletters. Interestingly, there are 2 volume 23's - Autumn 2017 and Summer 2018. I've added them to the drive.

Mentions: Shindig [865748]

Callaghan [1316121]
I'm on the phone so I can't screenshot very well. But here are them, I'm sure you'll be able to patch them together. Or if you PM me your email I can forward it to you. Unfortunately I don't have very many left from back then, it seems only a few that I never deleted.

Summer 2016

https://ibb.co/nB54MTR
https://ibb.co/X4kLsfX
https://ibb.co/KhLmF8B
https://ibb.co/zZ7MbZ3
https://ibb.co/9YpX3Sm
https://ibb.co/VxpnW8b
https://ibb.co/Bn1JSrS
Callaghan [1316121]
Also Winter 2023 had a weird little story called "The Story of M'aol, as told by Torn City" attached to it by Sugarvalves which I'll paste here (sorry about the length):

Edit: it don't fit, here is the full text https://paste.ee/p/sYfSx
Apnea [1532667]
I'm going to put on my CV that I was once featured in a Torn newsletter. #claimtofame

In all seriousness though, these are cool to look back through. Thank you!
Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor
It’s just like that one time I was featured on the school announcements back in 3rd grade. Fame is fame baby!
Callaghan [1316121]
Maybe I'm being stupid, but it looks like you're missing:

Autumn 2014
Winter 2017
Spring 2018

I noticed you've mislabelled 027 as 2010 rather than 2019.

And I've also realised that after 2021 they made a very confusing decision and decided to start using the following year on the Winter newsletter, so that 2021 has no winter newsletter at all. Typical that even an email circular can get chedded in this game.
Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor
Thanks, I've corrected 027. Blame my fat fingers and goldfish level attention span :)

I wonder if the missing ones you've called out ever went out. We at least have a complete series based on volume numbers. I think I'll reach out to a helper and see if they can chat with staff to clear that up.