Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Plagiarized comics

Started by _s10th [2672837] on in General Discussion.

153 replies · 5.7k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 154 / 154 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Beerson [1576144]
What is this 10 IQ non-argument.

Just because some entries can't be reverse searched in 5 seconds doesn't justify not taking the 5 seconds to find out that the winning entries are in fact plagiarized.

Because you can't catch some fish at the river, means you shouldn't even try to catch the other ones and just starve, right?
masheen [2625139]
You made your whole point on the basis that reverse searching the image will prevent this issue from happening and I showed you it won't.

It didn't come across to you he might be one of the few people that posted his stuff to reddit from his own account and therefore only that stuff will be indexed but not everyone else's.
stud [2527585]
That's very shitty, the real question though, is this against the Torn rules, because if it is not and the offender is punished, that would be messed up. Don't come at me with hate, I'm just here to uphold the Torn constitution.
Hogfather [330973]
Hmmmm.

[image: i.ibb.co]

So there's two potential violations here...

1: the first parageaph suggests anything we upload to the site, we surrender all rights too, meaning Torn staff could ultimately decide if this comic was or was not... But this is not very secure grounds...

However... this point is certainly a violation...

2: The 4th paragraph specifically states you need to credit the original authors of material published on torn, well... It certainly seems to me that this didn't happen so...

Yes it certainly looks like a rule violation if we're looking in all the tabs in the rules link.
Knave_of_Hearts [2203576]
Under "Acceptable use" > "content standards" it says
"Contributions must not:
  • Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person."
Then the question is if TM and copyright applies to comic submissions.
BypXByp [3243346]
Could just hash the image files to quickly and automatically compare them. Though a quick edit would change the hash, it's still apparently more then they do now.
Crispynugz [3253951]
This is absurd and like the author said, EXTREMELY DISRESPECTFUL! I believe the awards and point should be taken back. If this is not already in the rules, it's should be. Someone should know that plagiarism is wrong even if not specifically listed in the rules. F*** those losers that submitted those comics.
Toes [2095421]
Wow recycling and it wasnt even earth day....

do you think there should be a comics review panel? i am afraid this kind of things might be happening frequently as there is no mechanism to detect plagiarism
Neliex [2857538]
I wonder how much more passed unnoticed. Some maybe werent even rewarded.

Some say remove their winnings and merits. I don't think this is enough. We should let them learn "fu*k around and find out". Get them fedded or remove all their stuff for clean start.

There is people who tried to make their comics, avatars and other art for hours and got nothing in return. Yet here this cheap wannabe artist managed to learn copy paste and get rewarded for that.

And as there is more then one obviously check them for multies as well. How much ppl can come to this idea?
EXZ [3229612]
People are even willing to steal and plagiarize art in a game for rewards, pathetic. And people wonder why I won't join the mainstream art world, to many losers out there stealing true artists work, not to mention the BS about scribbles and splatters being worth millions and highly detailed art is deemed only worth A few hundred to a couple thousand dollars if that, yeah for this they should have their profile and items reset and put back to Zero or permanently in Federal prison or complete deletion
Tuit [2257608]
I don't really read the comics but this is complete bullshit and I feel bad for making a scam thread that put this at #2 trending instead of #1. Everyone should see this.
IamDaBazooka [2910688]
Plagiarizing from people is already bad enough, plagiarizing from someone who's passed away is some power bottom at rock bottom level stuff
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Some things occasionally get missed so this is quite a rare scenario. We have had cases in the past where we've caught a ripped off comic after the fact that slipped through and can remove winnings and awards.

I don't blame SV here, it's going to be hard to keep track of the literally thousands of comics that get submitted/accepted/rejected over the years. This is why we appreciate player reports for such things, there's no need to put him on blast for this as we can simply resolve it. The collective memories of hundreds of players are going to be better than one individual.

I'm not sure if any changes are really needed honestly, for the majority of cases how it's currently handled is fine, and we can simply fix the few problematic cases based on player reports however we'll have a chat and see if there's any improvements we can consider.

I don't necessarily approve of just throwing someone in fed to satisfy the rabid masses but perhaps some better deterrents can be considered.

Fortunately I've not handed out any economist prizes for this month yet so that part is easy.

I'll review this with sugarvalves today/this week and get it sorted. Thanks.
EarthFireMonkey [2620167]
Easy mistake, I wouldn't blame staff. The system could do with an archive search function for their benefit in the future. Automated on submission preferrably, but I have no idea how much work that entails.

Anyway, I really miss seeing work by both these artists and that is SUPER shitty, hopefully they will have honours and rewards removed.

Added to enemy list.