I don't blame staff per say. Still a shame something like this slipped through the cracks. Nonetheless the noobs stealing someone's work should get hammered hard. Make an example out them to discourage future idiots.
Plagiarized comics
Started by _s10th [2672837] on in General Discussion.
Posts archived: 154 / 154 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
terms say "must acknowledge the author"
(not done in either case)
terms continue to say "copy or download in breach of the terms...your right to use site will cease immediately"
terms breached...no cease
...that checks
(not done in either case)
terms continue to say "copy or download in breach of the terms...your right to use site will cease immediately"
terms breached...no cease
...that checks
Might need to invest in some AI to analyse if a new submission is the same as another previously accepted
That's absolutely not worth it for comics, and probably less reliable than existing checks.
Maybe add a report function directly on the comics page? at least that
Scamming is Legal in Torn, right.
So can't see how to Fed the person. Need to find other excuse to fed.
So can't see how to Fed the person. Need to find other excuse to fed.
We are overhauling the admin tools and systems currently so we'll likely integrate the existing newspaper violation category into that. Something like this is quite rare and niche though, easier option is just to mail sugarvalves or myself.
"08:12:13 - 22/04/24 The comic that was previously accepted has been removed by an admin. 250 points have also been removed from your account."
You guys got what you wanted leave me alone . I never stole that comic . I created it using Adobe I don't know how it was posted "3 years ago " as they say it was posted then .
You guys got what you wanted leave me alone . I never stole that comic . I created it using Adobe I don't know how it was posted "3 years ago " as they say it was posted then .
you're really gonna double down?
the person who made that comic and uploaded it to their profile hasn't been online in 251 days, chatting pure wham
[image: i.imgflip.com]
the person who made that comic and uploaded it to their profile hasn't been online in 251 days, chatting pure wham
[image: i.imgflip.com]
and you still have the audacity to display the honor bar lmao
My thinking is there are merits that can be gained from having a comic being posted. Unless those can be revoked, I think jail time is a necessary punishment to dissuaded players from attaining the merit like this. No jail time and no reward would seem like no consequences to a wealthier player who didn’t need the prize money anyway.
The merits can be revoked, yep, just takes a bit longer.
Thanks for flagging this. Unfortunately, we've had a shitload of stolen entries sent in lately, and while I do spot most of them, occasionally I miss a few. I honestly have no idea how I missed one by Slockins, though; that's on me for being slow that day. As some of you have noted, it's hard to keep several years' worth of comics in my head, as doing so would push out other important information like how to wash and spellang werds. I do perform a reverse search on suspicious entries, but I clearly forgot whose style that was and presumed it was a collaboration.
Both of the offending comics have now been removed. Here's one of the replacements.
[image: profileimages.torn.com]
Now then, while I'm not usually one for mob justice (that's not true), I don't feel sorry for the two comic thieves enjoying the repercussions of their actions. People like this have been more brazen lately, and Rx_Kurxy, who slipped into my chats in desperation, is another who tried the excuse that "someone told me I could steal an image off Google and use it." That's probably one of the dumbest reasons I've heard, second only to "I didn't steal it, this artwork is mine" whenever I reject Cyanide and Happiness or Dilbert strips.
[image: i.imgur.com]
That was from a player I rejected last week. As I was typing this, Whitefox has just posted and claimed to have created theirs "using adobe," so you can see the kind of stonewalled dumbassery I'm up against. Hopefully, the community's response to this will see the number of plagiarists drop off, but we'll see. I do my best to scrutinise every comic accepted, but it's obviously not my only task, so if I miss any, please drop me a message as others have done and I'll take them down.
And with that, I'll leave you all to debate what punishment is appropriate for someone who steals a comic strip. Has anyone suggested public flaggelation yet?
Both of the offending comics have now been removed. Here's one of the replacements.
[image: profileimages.torn.com]
Now then, while I'm not usually one for mob justice (that's not true), I don't feel sorry for the two comic thieves enjoying the repercussions of their actions. People like this have been more brazen lately, and Rx_Kurxy, who slipped into my chats in desperation, is another who tried the excuse that "someone told me I could steal an image off Google and use it." That's probably one of the dumbest reasons I've heard, second only to "I didn't steal it, this artwork is mine" whenever I reject Cyanide and Happiness or Dilbert strips.
[image: i.imgur.com]
That was from a player I rejected last week. As I was typing this, Whitefox has just posted and claimed to have created theirs "using adobe," so you can see the kind of stonewalled dumbassery I'm up against. Hopefully, the community's response to this will see the number of plagiarists drop off, but we'll see. I do my best to scrutinise every comic accepted, but it's obviously not my only task, so if I miss any, please drop me a message as others have done and I'll take them down.
And with that, I'll leave you all to debate what punishment is appropriate for someone who steals a comic strip. Has anyone suggested public flaggelation yet?
That's good to know.
I still think he did a scummy thing that deserves a time out but it's good to know his cheating was entirely in vain.
I still think he did a scummy thing that deserves a time out but it's good to know his cheating was entirely in vain.
I would say if you get caught plagrising, you should be banned from submitting any comic of such, if you go thru the attempt to ripped and steal people work, even the work of someone who passed away. They have no capability to use their brain to create art, and then resort to be a scum, outright lie and steal when the evidence is right there.
"But I created it with Adobe!!! my hard work"
yeah shut up, we aint a fool lol
But that begs the question, if said person get permission from said artist, or credit the artist how would this go with the new implementation of plagraising and checking?
"But I created it with Adobe!!! my hard work"
yeah shut up, we aint a fool lol
But that begs the question, if said person get permission from said artist, or credit the artist how would this go with the new implementation of plagraising and checking?
How about personal title for plagrising custom made for them which will always be visible on their profiles?
Does this sound like a reward?
Does this sound like a reward?
A good deterrent would be if someone is caught trying to pass others work off as there own suspend them from being able to submit again for X amount of time and then if they try again a second time, bar them from submitting anything in contests at all.
Wow… your examples are just plain rips too. I had expected when reading you post that it was a case where someone put a new sentiment with the image. You know how a meme image is just recycled with a new sentiment that fits the current situation. They just ripped the entire comic strip and resubmitted it as their own! Wow… that is just so unbelievable.
Glad the rewards are reversed when they are caught.
Glad the rewards are reversed when they are caught.