Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

How does withholding level work

Started by Chachisnorter [3269819] on in Questions & Answers.

23 replies · 718 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Chachisnorter [3269819]
I’m assuming leveling takes more XP the more levels you have. However if I get to level 15 without withholding levels, and then I withhold levels for another 10 level ups, will my next level cost as much XP as a level 16 or will it cost as much XP as a level 26?
Respect [2213633]
Your xp is basically just a hidden number. Kinda like a "bank account". Each level only takes from that bank as much as that level costs. So if level 10 requires 10 xp, and level 11 requires 20 xp, and level 12 requires 30 xp, their combined total is 60. So if youve accumulated 50xp, you can get to level 11, and still be 1/3rd of the way to 12.
DieselBlade [1701621] Wiki Contributor
There's not real benefit to level holding, anymore. With modern tools such as TornTools and TornPDA these are able to estimate one's stats by checking their rank and other statistics.

Previously, one would hold their level to appear as a weaker player, but that isn't really possible anymore.

There are other reasons why you may want to level hold, for atheistic reasons.

However, if you don't level up you have less Life, which in many ways is the "fifth battle stat.
el_Mirtho [2500373]
All true and agreed, just to add, a little benefit to witholding level is that during ranked wars your enemy will gain less respect (and thus war points) by hitting you instead of any higher level player.

To this day i dream of seeing a smurfs faction doing ranked wars against some big lv100 guys with comparable battle stats (dreams of torn i'll probably never see)
Wouldn't that be freaking fun to see?
narO [2312928]
It wouldn't be as interesting as you think, the holders would have to heavily outstat the 100s, as they will just get 1 tapped by hegs when it comes to people with comparable stats
Chachisnorter [3269819]
If I withhold my level but grow my stats, I’ll be able to take on players that are more levels higher than me.

Hmm, so if I gain more XP by killing higher level players than me, does this mean that if I temporarily hold levels, then use them all at once, that I could achieve a faster gain in levels than if I use the levels all along?
el_Mirtho [2500373]
presumably you gain more xp hitting people with higher level than you, but it could also be linked with your current xp instead of level, nobody really knows cos actual xp is hidden
undo [2090073]
I’m pretty sure it’s based on your true level, not your displayed level. I don’t recall if it was confirmed or someone did an experiment, but anyway.
el_Mirtho [2500373]
Yea, fair fight bonus is calculated comparing stats, but its a multiplier (like attacking abroad, chain mutiplier, retaliation hit, etc).
All those multipliers are applied over the base respect.
from the wiki:
Base respect is level dependent. Very simply, the higher the level of your target, the more respect you will earn.

https://wiki.torn.com/wiki/Chain#Gaining_respect
A_random_guy [1857022]
Note that it says 'level of your target'. Not level difference. So for respect earned from a target it doesn't matter if you level hold or not.

But respect and experience are presumably also slightly different formulas, so don't get the two disscussions in this thread mixed up too much. ;)

A big factor not mentioned in the thread and making the level holding faction vs lvl 100s way more exciting: smurf bonus weapons.
Demoniacs [350071]
Used to hold at 50 but shit stat 100 still owns me so went up to 100. Sometimes it can be fun but the merits you can buy, additional life, can bust higher levels, thre's so many you'll miss if youmlevelmhold
Aggie [2221311]
I've always tried to keep my level rank and battle stat rank somewhat equal so I don't accidentally over level myself and become a punching bag. However, my question is: is there a reason to hold at 99 vs 100 anymore?