Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Aqua // Finished.

Started by Clark [2062002] on in Graphics.

69 replies · 903 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 70 / 70 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
70
Discussion span
→
Authority score
22 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Clark [2062002]
Hello all

Today i will be auctioning my latest piece on my journey to be an artist.

As always bid what you like.

Auction will end 16/05/2024 5pm tc time.

Current bid: Pawesome_Nicole 25m


[image: i.imgur.com]

Thankyou.
_s10th [2672837]
nah, meant as a compliment lol

gimp's always been much much harder to learn/use for me personally so i find it very impressive that you made that with gimp
Matoros [2507667]
Gimp is pretty good, but yeah getting used to the program takes skill in itself. I switched to clip paint studio, and while that has similar issue, once you get the hang of it, options are limitless lol

edit: unlike gimp, CPS requires subscription, however their free trial is like 3 months long (which is insane) and sub is extremely cheap.
alfuerza [2320158]
look up rule of thirds, for composition. keep a distinct focal point and make sure lighting doesn’t distract from it

take some time to work on your writing because poor text can take away from a great design

i like the colours and textures! keep it up and best of luck
Clark [2062002]
I think I understand the concept but in my head I can’t visualise it well so will have to mess around with it. Text has always been my downfall

[image: i.imgur.com]

Took onboard what you said hopefully.
JustJanet [911066]
I like the restriction of your color palette. Just using the reds and yellows was a good choice.

Your text gets lost in the graphic and I feel like you would benefit by adding some shading to make it pop. Honestly I think a darker shade of your main colors would work better than white. If you want text to be read, make it easy to see. If it’s just there to add texture and interest to draw the eye in then that might be different. It might help to consider the text as part of the piece instead of just a label once you’re done.


Your final image looks flat because it all feels like it’s at one depth level. I didn’t even realize the fist was a fist at first. Your colors fade left to right and I thought it was an intentional pop just to add a little something. If you thicken the lines that define the body and the fist and add a bit of shading, it will bring him to the front. Alf mentioned the rule of thirds and I agree m. If you moved the main image so it centered at the 2/3 position to the right, it gives you more room to play with the text on the left. The rule of thirds works both ways, left to right and top to bottom.



Gimp has a feature where you can bevel edges, so if the main image is on its own layer you could check if that gives you enough definition to make it pop.



I loved gimp. I have an iPad and use Procreate now for my creative outlet. It was only $10 and is really fun to use. If you have all of the art on invisible layers and have a white background as the bottom panel, try adding a new layer above the background with a solid layer of one of your colors. Sometimes it can add a richness to the entire image just to switch out the stark white for a shade from your color palette. It works with adding a dark shade or a light shade. You can just decide what percentage of transparency you want the layer to be so that light from the white still comes through.
JustJanet [911066]
Great! He pops so much more! I didn’t even realize the fist in front of his body was there to see! I thought it was only the one!


Now, get loud and proud with your name! Use a bulky font and bright color. When signing art it makes sense to minimize and downplay your name. For signature graphics the entire point is to identify who wrote what we’re reading.


I challenge you to take your current signature that shows up on your posts, use the color of the eyes and redo the name so it’s almost as much of the composition as the water sprite.
Clark [2062002]
yeah i understand where your coming from, i really really just mind blank when doing text, i cant seem to find any good information out there or guides for it but i think im just googling the wrong stuff because i dont know the lingo.