Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Another vault thief

Started by DuncanTheDrunk [914570] on in General Discussion.

89 replies · 4.48k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 90 / 90 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
90
Discussion span
→
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
36 / 100
Story score
67 / 100
Engagement score
81 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

EBKJayboo [2949262] ×2 AirdsQuann118 [3110134] ×2 Faction 50720 ×1 timko [3170696] ×1 FrozenWolfie [3176337] ×1

DuncanTheDrunk [914570]

Hey everyone,

Most of you have probably never heard of me, but I run a casual faction for training and helping newer players get started. Today one of our members StoneSheisty [2949262] decided to empty our vault and take the RW weapons we had. Probably about 3b total value.

I have always known this was a possibility so I was prepared for it, especially with the influence Lat's heist has had lately. A stock block sold later and we're in the green, unfortunately the weapons will be harder to replace. I'll miss the proficience BT MP9s the most as they helped our newer players get to 15 a bit faster.

Yes, I ignored the common wisdom of giving players under a year permissions they probably shouldn't have, but this post is more of a warning to others that this player shouldn't be trusted.

In other news, does anyone have some good bounty service recommendations?

Edit:

All items and money have been returned, thank you to all of you who were supportive.


[image: cdn.discordapp.com][image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Mentions: EBKJayboo [2949262]

pussy [2797641]
15 years or 1 year, scam can happen from anyone

I would say this should be a learning opportunity, but then seeing you mention Lat theft and still get stolen from..
Odin-All-Father [2010524]
Bruv you’re near 6k days old, level 91 and 30B in NW.

You’re retarded and should know better. Your members should be angry at you, equally as much as they are at the thief.
Hamr [2027992]
Please for the love of god everyone, stop trusting players under a year old with valuables.
They're too newb to understand the consequences, too poor to resist temptation.


[image: i.gyazo.com]

Some basic qualifications you should consider before giving vault access:
- Minimum 1 year in-faction
- Must be highly active (so they've invested a lot into their account and faction)
- Have good/close interpersonal relations with key leadership
- Must not be poor
VCR [2687434]
I am a bit confused on the reason behind the theft. That quantity while they have a NW comparable to it and a blue name, and having previously called out other people for being scammers.
DuncanTheDrunk [914570]
As for the criticism, I don't disagree. I only started rebuilding this faction about a year ago and I accepted anyone who wanted to be part of it. It's clear that I put my trust in the wrong person. That being said in the last year I've come across a lot of great people and have no regrets. I consider this a small setback as this game is played over years and we're just getting started.
WhackedMaki [2587660]
I see you have 2 more players at under a year old with the Banker role still. So you didn't take any moves to try and prevent this from happening again.

Edit to add: There is also 0 reason that any members need the ability to give items to themselves or others. Lending and use perms are fine, but never give people the ability to give out items unless you would trust them with your leadership spot.
RmB [2632539]
Vault theft cannot happen if one does not give someone the key to the door, just sayin...

edit: timko disliked your post
JKyte [2417425]
On the one hand, vault thieves are bad.

On the other hand, cache farms are also bad.

I am conflicted.
JackKelly [2271177]
To be fair, I was given vault access to a faction in my first year and I managed to not steal all my mates monies. I never even considered it honestly.

But yeah, looking back, there is no way in hell I would've trusted "me" back then.
Flak [2091491]
If they aren't set as co-lead. There really is no reason to give Item permissions to anyone!

I'll guess they were in the co-lead role. And sucks, Sorry for the losses!

Buuuuut, If not co-lead role, that was a totally pointless risk, one i advise you don't repeat!
Komi [2965602]
This proves that Lat is Torn's biggest influencer at the moment xD

Hope you recoup sooner! Stealing 3b, but not being able to play the game, seems like a negative Expected Value to me