Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Premium Training by Money

Started by Hawk [2080065] on in Tutorials & Guides.

18 replies · 2.02k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
9
Likes on archived posts
92
Authority score
69 / 100
Historical score
33 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
70 / 100

Most-liked replies

Hawk [2080065]

How Should You Spend Your Money On Training?

This is a general guide for those who
- are already training with Xanax
- have some extra money
- and are wondering about the best way to increase training within their budget


What product you use for training (cans, FHC, SE) ultimately depends on three things
1. Your stats
2. Your budget
3. Your booster usage


It has been said many times - what you spend on training ultimately comes down to what you are able & willing to spend.
This guide assumes you do not have infinite money.

Some people have tried to summarize the discussion by saying "Do SE's when you can afford them"
...no, it's truly not that simple and that's just not accurate. For example, at my level, if I were to do 3 SE's in a month, I have wasted my money because I could have gotten the exact same gains for less money with other products.
And your summary isn't that helpful. When can I "afford" them?
What if I can afford them but other training is still BETTER (which happens, see below)?


This guide is based on market prices from June 2026



The important lesson for most middle-stat and middle-budget players

Should I use FHC or Cans?

It depends on if you are going to max out your booster cooldown or not.

- If there was not a booster limit, then you could just do more cans to get the same gains as FHC for less money.

- The booster limit makes all the difference.

- Once you start using ALL your booster on cans, you've reached a ceiling. To break through the ceiling and get more gains out of that same booster limit, you will need to spend more money on FHC.



*Based on today's market prices



Here is a more detailed table to get an idea of the difference in gains.
Results will vary based on your current stats, but this example illustrates the difference.


*CLICK the image to see full-size. Based on my current stats and today's market prices


Therefore, if you're willing to use your booster for training, then I recommend picking a budget level, and train based on your money.


- If you're willing to spend $500m (or less) on premium training per month, then you want to buy some cans and add extra trains here and there.
- $1b per month? Max out your booster on cans
- $1.5b per month? Switch to FHC and max out your booster on FULL-TIME FHC training


What Not To Do
Here's the thing...
If you are buying FHC's to occasionally get extra trains, then you are a stupid, money-wasting donkey
(my Mug-inspired comment)

You can get the exact same gains for less money with cans.


How Does This Apply to Me?
If you are maxing gains at all costs, use FHC's
- example, using the book Ugly Energy would get me 11% more gains all month long based on my current stat level (while costing about 11% more as well)

If you are busy and cannot keep your booster rolling for whatever reason, just do cans until you're ready for higher activity.


Make Sure You Don't Skip A Stage
"Do you even refill, bro?"

Stage 1 - Natural

You should be spending all your natural energy.
Any energy not spent on wars, leveling targets, missions, etc, should be spent on training.


Stage 2 - Natural + Xanax

When you can afford it, or when you can get it from your faction or whatever, add Xanax to your training.
Do not skip this step.
You will see some who have played this game for years who have been using more refills than Xanax. Donkeys.


Stage 3 - Natural + Xanax + Refill

Refills cost more than Xanax. Add them to your mix next for a few more gains.


Stage 4 - Premium Training

Do all the above, plus...

- Pick a budget level based on the table above and see if it's maintainable for you

- Do a little math to see what works for you.
--- For example, I found at my level that it doesn't really make sense to train with SE's unless I'm going to do at least 4 of them a month. I would get better gains for the same money with FHC before that.



The Market is Changing. When will FHC's be a Better Buy than Cans?

Answer: FHC's will be a better buy only when the amount of energy per dollar per cooldown hour surpasses that of cans.
Most people forget that FHC cooldowns (6 hours) and can cooldowns (2 hours) are very different.

[image: i.imgur.com]
* the cost (and gains) to max out boosters in May 2024, for example


If 30e cans go back up to 4.7m, check out the difference (FHC far cheaper)

[image: i.imgur.com]


From a budgetary point of view, you can use these guidelines




Remember, FHC and cans generally go up together and come down together
...like when there is a war for the island :-)



Other important considerations

Anomalousman makes a case for saving your money until you can SE regularly. If you can wait, and if you can afford to SE that much when you get to an economic level, then maybe that's a good route for you.


Pick a level you can maintain. Get the mindset that you should always be growing your money so you can maintain a higher level of training later. If you spend all your money on training now because "stats are forever", then you are only crippling your future gains.

WhackedMaki points out that you can do a mix of FHC and cans to keep your happy level up since training reduces it but FHC replenishes it.


***Everything regarding cans above assumes full voracity.
If you're training on cans without full voracity then you are giving up 50% of your gains while still paying the premium price. Get in a better faction.

Mentions: (Re)Quantify Your Impatience - Training Guide · Fight better than a top 100 player | Feb 12 update · Premium Training by Money

WhackedMaki [2587660]
I do feel one thing often overlooked in these tables is the fact that Cans drain your happy, while FHC's fill it up. If you rehab super regularly then you won't feel the effects of the happy drain as much, but some of us only rehab like once a week.

Doing a lot of cans in a row, especially for multiple days, will have diminishing returns on Stat/Dollar as the happy drops. But using a stack of FHCs at 0 booster will see a bit of extra gains due to the happy increase.

You can also do a hybrid of cans, and then an FHC or two to refill happy and keep it topped up.
Hawk [2080065]
Indeed! Thanks Maki.

Yeah, you can do mixes, etc. Eventually, when writing a guide you have keep it to a reasonable length and choose a level of detail you're comfortable with. I'm not making screenshots and charts with mixed levels :-)

You can do mixes of all sorts (SE's don't reduce happy at all).

Since we're talking details, I guess I would point out that FHC "training" doesn't increase your happy. All gym training reduces it. Only the "taking"/consuming the FHC increases happy. Then the training you do afterward reduces it some.

So, if you're going to mix, maybe try...
- wait until your booster is low
- Take one or more FHC
- Take whatever number of cans you want (before happy resets)
- Train it all at once to leverage that extra happy

You could even wait to do cans until you're also going to do an FHC each time.

Anyway, great point!

I have added a note with your name.
Thanks!
Bard [2816711] Wiki Contributor

Is there an issue with the "FHC is a better buy when..." table, given that the pricing for 25e and 30e cans are identical?

MrRightSA [2652679]

"Anomalousman makes a case for saving your money until you can SE regularly. If you can wait, and if you can afford to SE that much when you get to an economic level, then maybe that's a good route for you."

 

This was my plan before Ched broke stocks - get to 400bil NW then I should be able to regularly take SE's. Now I don't think it's viable but maybe I'm too poor in wealth or stats to understand that part of it.

Mentions: (Re)Quantify Your Impatience - Training Guide

Hawk [2080065]

MrRightSA,

 

That's the right thinking. People ask "how many battle stats do I need to make SE 'worth it' ?" but they should be asking "when can I afford to SE regularly" "...when can I get the same gains or better for the same money?"

 

That's very different if you're comparing Xanax to SE

or if you're comparing Cans/FHC to SE

 

I think people "know that" but get excited about SE's and forget that.

Bard [2816711] Wiki Contributor

This is also my current dilemma. My NW growth is going better than expected, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to achieve full SE consumption levels given the current state of the game, so the temptation to start booster training has increased for me, despite my original plan being to wait and work on NW growth until SE range.

MrRightSA [2652679]

The way I looked at it was it costs me ~10bil per year on cans. ~10bil per year isn't going to make much of a difference when I'm at SE stage. Like having 10bil invested would allow me another 4 SE's per year. Is that worth it over a year of cans? Considering you're delaying getting to SE range by however long too. I don't know. But I've been enjoying cans.

 

stax [1132977]

~10bil per year isn't going to make much of a difference when I'm at SE stage. Like having 10bil invested would allow me another 4 SE's per year.

 

Isn't this a little like a famous Michael Scott quote from The Office, though?

 

Yes. Money has been a little tight lately. But, at the end of my life, when I'm sitting on my yacht, am I gonna be thinking about how much money I have? No. I'm going to be thinking about how many friends I have, and my children, and my comedy albums. I mean, I have a yacht, so I obviously did pretty well money wise.

 

Sure, $10b once you have the money to regularly use SEs won't be much, but that skips over the step of actually getting there! Investing vs. spending those $10b will get you to that stage a lot faster, no (as you say later on "Considering you're delaying getting to SE range by however long too.")?

 

I'm not even at the regular can use stage yet, tho, so mostly just idle thoughts for me.

MrRightSA [2652679]

Oh I meant in my specific situation (with maybe 140b networth? more than half of it easily accessible) it doesn't make sense to save the 10bil IMO but to clarify for anyone else, I would definitely advocate building up a solid NW foundation and chugging beers instead of cans to get your CE up to PA levels (or whatever comes next with OC2.0).

 

Hawk [2080065]

Updated for September 2024.

 

Currently cans and FHC are both increasing in price. Prices may continue to fluctuate as we approach Halloweek.

Dorinello [2535382]

Thanks for the guide! 

 

I think it would be cool if you also would add monthly budget/ gains for different kinds of energy cans (e.g. 5e vs 20e vs 30e).

And I would be great to add at which step you recommend to buy 1/2/3/4 increments of MCS.